Where is the most probable location for Disney to build a theme park in South America?

Edited: May 2, 2014, 4:59 PM

Replies (10)

May 2, 2014, 3:59 PM

Brazil, based solely on the huge number of Brazilian visitors that we saw at WDW- and frankly I hope they build it soon. This is probably not "politically correct" but with very few exceptions the Brazilian students that we encountered were rude and inconsiderate. They shoved in front of people who had been waiting in lines for attractions and sitting waiting for parades to start. They moved as a group through people waiting to board the monorail, shoving people including older adults and children aside to get as close to the front of the line as possible. Are all Brazilian guests rude? Of course not. Are all American guests polite? Definitely not. But when I saw a rude group of young people being inconsiderate of others, they usually were speaking Portuguese...and I don't think they were from Lisbon.

OK, let the slings and arrows start.

May 2, 2014, 4:58 PM

We'll see if hosting the World Cup and Olympics leaves Brazil with the tourism infrastructure to support something like a Disney-level theme park resort. That hasn't been there in the past.

And with Walt Disney World becoming so dependent upon international visitors, I suspect that Disney's in no hurry to build a resort in one of the markets that provides so much WDW support. Not unless a local partner in Brazil emerges to bear the majority of the capital and operating expenses for a resort. At that point, the economics might become attractive enough to entice Disney.

May 2, 2014, 5:07 PM

Brazil's preparations for the World Cup and Rio Olympics are extremely far behind. The IOC has described Rio's preparations as the worst they have ever seen this close to the Games, and some of the stadiums and transportation systems for the World Cup matches are not expected to be finished until six months AFTER the final match. Graft, terrible planning and intergovernmental bickering are rampant in Brazil. If "RioDisneyland" was started today, if might be completed in time to coincide with the 100th Anniversary of Disneyland- the original one!

May 2, 2014, 5:24 PM

Is there any chance that Disney would build another US theme park? I'd LOVE to see them build something in the middle! (Texas perhaps?)

I know Disney does license agreements for other theme parks, so I wonder if they would license another group the rights to build another park on their home (USA) territory.

My Disney dream would be for them to build another Disney Sea and Water Park outside of Asia.

May 3, 2014, 11:44 AM

At this point, I don't see Disney building on another site unless there's a local partner that takes on the bulk of the capital expense, located in a market that Disney's not already effectively captured with one of its existing resorts. (Korea, India, Eastern Europe, Middle East, South Africa, etc.) But the market also would have to be big enough to support a Disney resort, which currently rules out most of those I just listed. Maybe their economies might develop to that level in the future.

In the United States, we might one day get a third gate in Anaheim. But that's it. People longing for a Disney park in Texas probably ought to just give up that dream. It's not going to happen in our lifetimes.

May 4, 2014, 8:33 AM

I know it's not their forte, but could Disney expand into the regional park market with non-Disney type attractions? A lot of us like the thrill parks and a Disney thrill park that doesn't dilute the Disney brand would be a welcome change to Six Flags.

Edited: May 4, 2014, 4:50 PM

Im brazilian and I think that if brazil does enough effort it can be a a great place for a disney park. I think that Rio isn't a good place because its really dangerous because of the favelas. I think that it would be better near Brasilia, Recife or Sao Paolo. It could also be a water park because its more "brazil like" than a theme park (since its known for a really good weather. in this case rio would be a great place) also disney has only 2 water parks. I think that for both disney and brazil it would be a great deal because brazilians visit a lot disney (bazilians after Japanese and Americans are the people that most visit disneyworld). I think that in 2 years a project for a disney brazil would come out.

Other option in south america is argentina or uruguay.

and while i was in rio I saw a group of americans in the Christ redemptory also passing through people because they wanted the best view of the city. in copacabana they saw that me and my friends sat at the best place in the beach and the same group sat at the same place that we were at and they didn't even ask and they started hearing loud music (in the place that we got) while a friend was trying to relax in the sun (and they saw it).

May 4, 2014, 5:08 PM

Somewhere close to Rio De Janeiro, as it is the biggest city for tourism in South America.

May 5, 2014, 7:05 PM

Brazil track record for theme parks is terrible. Even people with Midas touch lost money in that industry in Brazil, like the guys who control AB InBev, Burger King and Heins.

Buenos Aires is the top non-business touristic city in South America but it does not have enought direct flights to it. Lima and Sao Paulo are the main airport hubs, but I don't think they could hold a Disney Resort.

If Disney decides to move to south America It should do a different type of resort, perhaps in the Amazon. Something 20 times the size of WDW, with a huge natural reserve served by Disney quality safari tours. Water parks, some jungle resorts and an exclusive theme park to attract people from all over the world, not only from the region. People who want to experience the Amazon + a Disney park.

May 26, 2014, 3:36 PM

The only prayer for a Texas based Disney Park is if at some point SeaWorld became a viable acquisition for Disney from a PR aspect. If they then added an extra gate to SeaWorld with of course a Marvel Themed Land for a Texas sized portion of spite to Universal.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive