Why is Volcano Bay considered a "water theme park?"

July 14, 2016, 9:32 AM

I know not every detail has been revealed yet, but why is Universal calling Volcano Bay a water theme park and not just a water park? Are there rides that aren't water based that make it some sort of theme park? It just seems like Universal is trying to advertise as having 3 parks.

Replies (6)

July 14, 2016, 10:48 AM

They can make more money by charging $105 for it.

July 14, 2016, 3:58 PM

^

July 14, 2016, 7:22 PM

Because it is a water park that incorporates elements commonly found in theme parks and Universal wants to distinguish it from more typical water parks. While we haven't seen everything yet, from what I've heard this will be a waterpark unlike any in the world. I also think Universal is going to be selling this as a third park in order to determine whether there is sufficient demand to create an actual third theme park before investing a couple billion dollars in one.

Edited: July 14, 2016, 8:03 PM

Disney's Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach hover at around 2 million in yearly attendance. It's hard to use the new water park to gauge potential for an actual third theme park, but I suppose they already have other indicators like occupancy at the new Sapphire Falls Resort. We must see if next year's TEA report makes the case for Universal's future plans.

July 15, 2016, 7:23 AM

It's a name, a marketing idea, a promotion...

It made you think about therefore it works.

July 16, 2016, 9:11 AM

Yep. It's a creative marketing ploy. Tactic. Whatever the word you want to use.

I'm sorry, but my shirt only comes off when I'm in the shower or sleeping. Me and my gut don't do water parks, so they can call it whatever they want, but I'll be skipping their water "theme park"

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive