Big layoffs at Walt Disney Imagineering

Edited: August 5, 2016, 3:02 PM

With the Shaghai project now opened, WDI is scaling back. I've noticed more than a few contacts on LinkedIn that were listed as working at WDI no longer listed as such. And reports are flying that the layoff numbers are substantial.

FWIW, with Universal working on a third gate in Orlando, parks opening and expanding all over China and the UAE and high demand for themed entertainment globally right now, those leaving WDI should have plenty of opportunities in the industry. Let's hope. Good luck and best wishes to everyone.

Replies (6)

August 5, 2016, 3:38 PM

And now all those workers will go to Universal. It's like Disney never learns

August 5, 2016, 9:51 PM

To be clear, many if not most of these layoffs were people choosing buyouts or early retirement.

August 6, 2016, 2:24 PM

To be clearer, many people who work at WDI are in construction project management and architectural design. Their skill sets apply in the development of projects other than theme park attractions. So it's likely that those leaving WDI who are not retiring, will find placement outside of the themed entertainment industry.

August 8, 2016, 4:52 AM

Isn't it a bit of a revolving door between Disney and Universal anyway? Somebody's Beastly Kingdom becomes somebody else's Lost Continent?

August 8, 2016, 7:37 AM

Mass layoffs happen in every industry. No one is guaranteed employment. Disney hires based on projects. Shanghai Disney is done. I'm sure Avatar and Star Wars design is nearly finished. The remaining projects are already announced or broke ground. Universal might begin designing their third park. Orlando might have some high tech work for space or defense companies. Time to relocate.

August 8, 2016, 9:57 AM

I would actually guess there's been next to now layoffs though, just a lot of contracts ending. I'm sure most of these people are employed on a limited time contract that they sign into for the period of construction. With the delays this was probably even extended. Such is the risk of working in such a volatile field, I'm sure it looks good on their resume if changing fields though.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive