Grand Opening Toothsome Chocolate Emporium at Universal Orlando City Walk

Edited: September 29, 2016, 9:51 PM

So today (September 22nd) was the grand opening of the Toothsome Chocolate Emporium at Universal Orlando Resort. There was a media event for it in the afternoon and it became open to the public at 3:30pm. I was the first in line to expierence the "grand opening" of the new restaurant. It has been in soft open or as the sign said open for "previews" for the past three weeks or so.

The Emporium has three different sections. When you walk in there is a gift / candy shop on your right that sells steampunk merchandise and delicious chocolate and candy treats. Directly on the left is the milkshake and ice cream shop. Here you can order the extravagant milkshakes and sundae desserts that I'm sure you've seen pictures for! You also have the option to get just plain ice cream or or add whatever toppings you want to it! Finally the third section is the restaurant and dining area which has two floors.

I had experienced the milkshakes on two different days before the main opening but I held off trying the restaurant until today. The milkshakes and desserts are expensive but they are so worth it!!! They flavors are amazing and there is enough variety for all taste buds! The portion sizes on the milkshakes and sundaes are very big and the reason I waited to try the restaurant is because the desserts are a meal in themselves! There is plenty to share with a group.

There was some confusion depending on which type of Universal employee you asked as to what time the "grand opening would be for the general public. Because of this I started waiting at 2pm but couldn't get in until 3:15pm. There was no signage and limited staff to ask about details so once I found out I acted as any good theme park insider would and passed the info on!

So for my food review I will comment on a few things. I had the chocolate almond bread with carmel butter and the blue plate burger which is a half pound burger with a slice of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and sweet corn. This comes with a choice of fries or kettle chips for the side. The chocolate almond bread was very good and very inexpensive. There were two kids eating in my party and they had mixed reviews, but the adults really enjoyed it!

I went with my entree for one main reason. I was able to kill two birds with one stone and sample a burger and the meatloaf! The burger was cooked to my exact request and very juicy and tender. But the meatloaf was to die for! It it made from brisket which gives it a great flavor and they put great charred grill marks on it! It had a delicious gravy with a hint of chocolate as well! I deconstructed my burger and enjoyed the elements separately (burger / meatloaf, potatoes, corn, gravy). I didn't really have any room for dessert and since I already sample the sweeter side of the Emporium, I ended my meal on that note.

During our meal we were visited by the two characters from the restaurant Penelope Toothsome (founder) and her side kick robot Jacque. The characters were a nice touch to the experience and very kid friendly. This helped set the overall dining experience of the restaurant from anything else I really experienced!

The atmosphere is very cool and the food was a 10/10 for me from everything I sampled the past week. My only disappointment from my experience was that there was nothing special to experience for the "grand opening". I expected some sort of show, or announcement, or some little memento (especially being first in line) but there was nothing of the sort. Still this is a great restaurant and now a must do City Walk experience For me from now on!!!

Replies (3)

September 22, 2016, 6:22 PM

Very nice, Bob! Thank you.

September 22, 2016, 7:28 PM

Very cool! Do you think you could throw a few photos in to the post? And do you...uh...have a calorie estimate?

September 22, 2016, 8:41 PM

@Gabriel Schroll, my phone wouldn't allow me to attach pictures for some reason when I posted this so I'll try to load some tomorrow night when I get back home. And as for you question of calorie count the answer is ZERO... Cause calories don't count when your on vacation!!! LOL The serious answer is I don't know because they don't list them on the menu but as a calorie counter normally myself, I know they would be really high! I probably ate my daily calories with each dessert if I had to guess.

Also I forgot to announce that as of right now, reservations are NOT available but they said they hopefully will be sooner rather than later. And starting as of grand opening they will serve brunch all day long and they will open at 11am.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive