My problem with people's opinion in Guardians of the Galaxy ride

September 23, 2016, 12:34 AM

I know that i'm just a huge die hard Disney fan. Since Disney buys Marvel and Lucasfilm, plans on Star Wars Land at Disneyland, in my opinion, it would be a great idea to introduce more Star Wars at the park.

but when a new Marvel ride announce at San Diego Comic Con 2016. which is Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout, which would be a retheme of The Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror at Disney California Adventure. in my opinion, it's a good idea.

the ride is about the Guardians are captured by The Collector and keep them on display, Rocket Raccoon escaped and asks Guest to help him get the Guardians to break-out. It would be a good idea to make a ride based on a prison scene of the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, where the Guardians and guests has to escape from Kyln from the escape pod (which was originally an elevator from The Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror), even the Hollywood Tower Hotel has to retheme it into Kyln prison, but that's Disney decision.

but i don't get why people hates this idea. i have never ever seen a Disneyland video on YouTube with so much dislikes, people are ranting about it, people makes a petition, even people post a video reaction of Jontron laughing and vomiting blood on some comments.

why people hates the idea?

Replies (18)

September 23, 2016, 4:54 AM

People very simply hate change. They can't accept that a ride they love will close even though it's going to be the same ride with a different theme. The second argument is that they think it doesn't fit in DCA, but yet they don't have a problem with Bug's Land or Cars Land; none of which take place in California. In the end, the same people complaining are going to be first in line when this opens

September 23, 2016, 5:15 AM

I think there are a couple of reasons why people (including myself) think this is a terrible idea.

1. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror is one of those classic rides. It is a ride that took a drop tower and plussed it up to create a haunted hotel that delivers on the creeps and storyline. It is also one of Disney's best storyline attraction that does NOT include any Disney characters. Disney also just spent millions of dollars to theme that entire area to 1920s Hollywood (when Walt came to California). Why on earth would you take the largest building in that part of the park and turn it into an alien's house?

2. Disney looks like they are just buckling into the latest fad. Think of all the Frozen shows and attractions that have been created to cash in. The only US park that does NOT have Frozen in it is Animal Kingdom at WDW. The other 5 parks have an attraction or show. EPCOT just an educational attraction to the Frozen Gods and now we have Fanatsy in the park dedicated to expanding the human mind.

With all that being said, the only arguement I can find is that DCA's ToT is the weaker of the two ToT in the USA. DHS, the original, still seems to be the best when it comes to atmosphere and story. If Disney will just come out and say DHS is safe, I think everybody would cool down.

September 23, 2016, 8:47 AM

Disney will not commit to saying DHS' ToT is safe because there's no point of it. There are no plans to change DHS' ToT and that's fine. People will still complain because they don't like this change.

I always felt DCA's ToT was weak. It's like getting a lesser version of Pirates. I haven't been on it for over 10 years, but likely to do it for the last time before it closes.

Actually, Disney didn't spend millions to fix up Hollywood to the 1920s. They only added a trolley. The remaining facades were never upgraded. They never added a lobby for the Hyperion Theater. They did Frozen Fun and changed out the Muppet Theater and upgraded the warehouse, but that's about it.

Marvel Land will be a big upgrade. It will push into the current Bus Stop area as the new parking structure is completed with the new pedestrian bridge. It is not a FAD. How many Disney hits are fads when they make billions?

The critics are saying all sorts of interesting things like the loss of Disney principles. Certainly there are Disney principles, but the principle is Disney. The Hollywood Studios Park is going away. Hollywood in California Adventure won't last much longer.

Edited: September 23, 2016, 11:52 AM

Tower of Twrror is a popular ride that's existed for over a decade at DCA, and the original has been around even longer. Even if the California version is inferior to the original, it's still a great ride. Gauridians of The Galaxy is a poor replacement because it was an obscure comic book most people never heard of before the movie, and may no be relevant for more than a few years. While there is a sequel being made, the long term popularity has yet to be seen. The Twilight Zone may be an old brand that Disney doesn't own, but the ride stands on its own. Why replace a popular ride because it's not a recent hit? Making rides this way is a bad stratagry because they need to be replaced fairly often, and Disney is slow when it comes to replacing unpopular and irreverent rides.

I'm very skeptical of a Marvel themed land because we are at the peak of superhero popularity. Universal already created a Marvel themed land, and honestly I don't think there's anything left for Disney to do with it that Universal hasn't. Disney should try to do something different, not create a land with with the same brand and characters their main rival did 20 years ago. Disney should be a leader, not a follower. While the Hollywood section section of DCA needs a major overhaul, they should keep TOT, and create a new land that has a theme compatible with TOT, and The park as a whole. Marvel doesn't fit in with DCA or Disney for that matter. It was a good investment for Disney to buy Marvel, but it's not a good fit for Disney theme parks. Just because Disney owns something doesn't mean it should be incorporated into its theme parks. Soap Opera Bistro was a perfect example of this.

Edited: September 23, 2016, 1:24 PM

"Why replace a popular ride because it's not a recent hit?"

Because the ride itself isn't that popular. It cannot compete against Soarin' and the Cars ride. The IP is old and no one can remember The Twilight Zone series. No one under 30 or 40 remembers it.

Universal only has Spider-Man and Incredible Hulk, but they have the comic book look, which is all they have rights to. Disney can use both the movie and comic book for the theme park attractions. Marvel does fit into DCA. In fact, Marvel is Hollywood at this point in Hollywood's history. Chris Pratt's movie career was launched when he appeared slimmer in has Star-Lord role in Guardians. He later surpassed his Guardians role by being in Jurassic World. He will soon star in The Passengers movie with Jennifer Lawrence. Disney theme parks was always about promoting its movies. This will continue.

September 23, 2016, 3:32 PM

Anon, I have to disagree with you there. According to people I know who work the attraction, while Twilight Zone Tower of Terror is not the most popular ride at the park (that title goes to Radiator Springs Racers), it is consistently in the top five and still often has 45-60 minute waits most days.

To the original poster, I think a lot of the hate is because Guardians of the Galaxy has several elements generally disliked among the hardcore Disneyland fans...

-It is replacing a popular attraction that is a fan favorite
-It is based on a current IP that doesn't fit with the park as is
-There isn't a whole lot of enthusiasm for Marvel in the parks
-There is a ton of concern the project is being done on a low budget
-A lot of the fan community is anti-change regardless of what change it is

However, fans have a way of ignoring the facts. When you consider that...

-The Twilight Zone IP is a net loss for Disney as they pay for it yet don't make money off of it
-DCA's target audience is about 3rd grade thru mid-20s (and people accompaning visitors of this age), and the aspect of the ride that connects with them (the thrills) will remain while the part that doesn't (the theme) is changing
-The Marvel Cinematic Universe is the highest grossing film franchise of all time
-Guardians of the Galaxy blew away all expectations at the box office and has a ton of fans, plus there is a sequel coming out next year
-While the attraction won't fit within Hollywood Land, it will fit within Marvel Land, which is being developed and should be opening in the next five years

...it makes a lot more sense. As for me, I am not in favor of the change, but I am cautiously optimistic the new attraction will prove satisfactory. Twilight Zone Tower of Terror is my favorite ride at DCA, but a ride of equal quality could be made with a different theme and I'm not against Marvel taking over, I just wish they were waiting until the land was ready and going with something that makes more sense given the ride system (i.e. Avengers Tower). I will say that most people I heard talking about it at the park were disappointed about the loss of Tower of Terror, but excited about Guardians of the Galaxy, so I have a feeling Disney is making the right call.

September 23, 2016, 4:49 PM

AJ: I said ToT wasn't that popular by being below Cars and Soarin'. This has been true for long time. It doesn't help that the Twilight Zone theme doesn't help. Many that profess love for it now had problems with it's concept and design, which appears to look like an airplane flying into it from the airfield of former Condor Flats.

When there's lemons, you make lemonade. The drop portion of the ride wasn't bad. This will be retained. The story can only be improved with Guardians. Twilight Zone was poorly adapted in DCA's version. They can do better. Where you see yourself disappear was never convincing. Those crying about a cheap replacement should acknowledge how cheap the current ride is.

September 23, 2016, 8:43 PM

I'll wait to pass judgement until after the new version opens.
Remember, not only will there be a Guadians sequel, but they will be in the Avengers: Infinity War movie as well, so I believe they have lasting power. Plus, Chris Pratt is a bona fide star.

Also, keep in mind that the DCA version of ToT is inferior to other versions, and hasn't been around as long. It's not as if they're re-theming Sleeping Beauty castle to Stark Tower.

I guess the big question is WDW. If Twilight Zone is a loser, and Orlando can't change over to GotG, what then? Just keep it as-is? Or find a different IP to use? Harrison Hightower of Terror?

Even if Hollywood Studios CAN use Guardians, it would be out of place, with virtually no other Marvel characters being available.

Why change DCA but not DHS?

Edited: September 24, 2016, 11:21 AM

Why change DCA's version and not DHS? DHS's version is the better one and most popular ride of the park. DHS is light on attractions so why make an unnecessary change. Star Wars Land and Toy Story are two huge franchises promoted at DHS. They don't need Marvel and likely prevented from it legally. They are rumored to be working on a Guardians replacement for Epcot's Energy with a roller coaster so they will find a way. Seems like Epcot is next on the list.

September 24, 2016, 8:55 PM

Sure. But if the Twilight Zone IP is a money loser, and most park guests have never seen the show, it'd make sense for Hollywood Studios to update the attraction at some point, right? For example, after Star Wars and/or Toy Story Land opens.

I'm not saying change it to Guardians to match California Adventure. But I have to imagine some bean counter has his or her eye on the Twilight Zone IP, whispering sweet nothings into the ear of whoever will listen, urging them to do a cheap overlay.

September 25, 2016, 10:43 AM

You say cheap overlay as if that's the expectation. Frozen Ever After wasn't a cheap overlay that replaced Maelstrom. Neither was the recent Test Track makeover. My feeling is the cheap makeovers are in the past. They might certainly cutback on budgets, but not at the expense of a lesser quality ride. Disney doesn't do things for the sake of doing things. Thus, you haven't come up with a reason to redo DHS' Tower of Terror except that the Twilight Zone IP is on its way out. They have decades to decide. There's no rush.

September 27, 2016, 4:52 PM

While I'm personally not happy about this decision I think a lot of educated guesswork is needed to see the overall vision.

At the current moment, this decision doesn't seem to make much sense. What most people have seemed to miss throughout all of this is that TDA has pretty much confirmed the long-rumored expanded Marvel-Themed land for DCA in the near future (probably after Star Wars Land if I had to guess). The amount of money being pumped into the GotG re-skin isn't something Disney would just do to get rid of having to pay IP rights. This is a long term decision. Disney is investing in DCA's future. If I had to guess, the GotG ToT will act as one of the lands e-tickets, with another on the way (I'm guessing a tron-style coaster themed after Iron Man or Captain America). We'll probably see one C or D ticket ride as well as a dedicated meet-and-greet as well.

September 27, 2016, 6:22 PM

I understand the Guardians re-theme is a not single project. More Marvel is coming to DCA, Guardians is just the beginning. While the Marvel Cinimatic Universe has been very popular, I still find it frustrating that it's being incorporated into DCA. Turning Hollywood Land into a real historic LA street like Buena Vista makes more sense. It would be like Main Street USA. Buena Vist street isn't big enough to have the same effect, and Hollywood Land is the perfect and only spot to expand it, Marvel just doesn't fit with the other themes and characters at DCA or Disneyland Resort. A Marvel themed land at DCA is more about synergy than it is about having a land that fits the theme of the park or Disney in general. This was part of the reason Soap Opera Bistro failed. Just because something is good doesn't mean it fits. Overall I like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but it doesn't belong in a Disney theme park. Replacing Tower of Terror is the worst way to add a franchise that doesn't even belong. The reason Tower of Terror opened in the first place is because it's a favorite. If it's inferior to the Flordia version(it is) find ways to make it better besides turning it into a different ride.

September 27, 2016, 7:52 PM

Marvel doesn't fit into a Disney park? I disagree. It may seem out of place right now, but only because it's the first Marvel project. Give it time, and it will blend in just fine.

Not to mention, Marvel is a comic book company first and foremost. Comic books and cartoons go well together, and I imagine their target audiences overlap quite a bit.

As for expanding a historic LA street, I don't think that would be moving the park forward. I'd love to see it, just as Universal's New York area looks amazing and it takes me to a different place (and time). But if anything, I'd say Disney is moving away from that kind of theming. I'm not sure of a new Pixar movie that is set in "old LA".

I think Captain America is a fine character, but Iron Man has greater appeal worldwide - and he has a mask/helmet, so he's a lot easier to make into statues, to animate, etc. Don't need to lip sync anything, and locals in Shanghai or Tokyo can imagine a Chinese or Japanese guy in the suit if they want.

Plus the whole "America" thing. I'm not saying...I'm just saying.

Edited: September 27, 2016, 9:15 PM

I'm not saying Marvel Land can't or won't be good, but it's not my ideal choice for a land at a Disney park. Walt Disney was all about hope and optimism, and Disneyland reflects that. Another thing is that Disney parks have always appealed to all ages. Marvel is much more adult than Disney. Disney has almost always kept their movies G and PG, to the point that it created other studios when it decided to venture out to more adult movies. That's not to say that Disney is for kids only, they have always targeted adults. However have never done so without keeping it family friendly. Marvel has focused primarily on teens and adults, not children. So it just seems odd for a Disney park to have an entire land to a brand that is primarily targeted to teens and adults, and often has content that isn't appropiate for children.

As for LA, my point is that DCA is about Calaifornia, and while the park has drifted away from that theme (and Robert Niles wrote a great article about how that happens to theme parks in general) it still should be an important part of the the park. While some have speculated that California may be dropped to the name, most of the park still is and still will be themed to California. Although I'm sure Disney will do a great job,

September 27, 2016, 9:44 PM

DCA was originally an adult park. Marvel fits since it caters to a higher age group. California Adventure is much less California today than it was 20 years ago. They can't help this. The park is named after Disney, but not all Disney IP caters to 2 to 5 year olds. Keeping to the Hollywood theme is a loser. No one cares about old Hollywood. Despite having an old time Red Car Trolley, it fits in Buena Vista Blvd. That's the extent of it. They should extend the line to Paradise Pier next to the San Francisco Victorian Houses. Fits better you think.

Edited: September 28, 2016, 11:18 PM

The Tower of Terror is one of those classics that shouldn't be changed. Would you want Sleeping Beauty Castle as Ultron Castle permanently or the Dumbo Ride changed to the BB-8 ride? Don't destroy an icon in order to tie-in to a hot new IP that will likely not have a lasting legacy.

Edit: After pondering for a popular movie that won't have a lasting legacy, I realized a better example would be replacing Pirate's of the Caribbean with a Zootopia ride

September 28, 2016, 8:08 PM

Actually, changing Dumbo to BB-8 is not a bad idea!
Kids don't know Dumbo outside of the Disney parks, and though BB-8 won't likely have a lasting legacy, Star Wars sure does!

I still want to see a Kylo Ren & Stimpy attraction.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive