How Six Flags (and Disney) treat People traveling by Bike

October 14, 2016, 5:06 AM

Here what I experanced at 6FoG last Fall: I asked Security where to leave my Bike. They did not know but sad "Not here!" I asked several Gards. Finaly I put my Bike at the Fence to the fare End to the right if you face the Park - their where Cars turn into the Parking Lots. I asked afterwards at Gust Relations is that OK? They sad "that should be fine".

After returning in the Evening (timetrail to catch the Bus!) it was GONE! Look was cuted!

I asked Security where they put it. "We don't have your Bike!" I walked back to the Front Gate and asked Security and Police. "We don't have your Bike!" "It's probably stolen - You have to leave!" I couldn't accept and tryed to ask the Girl at the Front Gate - Security made that nearly impossible - holding me up - Hands on their Handcuffs already! I needed to shout to her. The Girl at the Front Gate: "We have your Bike in here!"

Why no one told Security? Why they took the Bike?

Even now they got me in a hurry to leave!

I never received an Excuse.

Experances like this one have the Power to let People decide on less enviromental friendly kinds of Transportations.

It's a shame that in todays World they not provide a Bike Rack at the Park Entrance like other Parks do!

On Traveling by Bike I made 2 more times the Experance that Security have cut Logs:

1) At the Empire State Building NYC 1996
2) At WDW at a Water Park on the last (!) day of a 2-3 Weeks stay. They wanted in this way find out where we camp...

Replies (11)

Edited: October 14, 2016, 12:49 PM

La Ronde (the six flags in Montreal) has bike racks outside. Just another reason why I'm moving to Canada on November 9th

October 15, 2016, 7:37 AM

It is an interesting question.

I really cannot see anybody biking to a Disney World Park. I would be afraid they would be killed by a car trying to get in.

I know at my home park Great America, it would be tough (but not impossible) to bike.

And Jaiden, Clinton is going to win. If you do not like her or her policies, Canada will be the last place you would want to go.

October 16, 2016, 10:14 AM

Oh I'd only consider moving if He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named wins.

October 16, 2016, 7:13 PM

I don't think that you can bike to Cedar Point. I'm almost 100% sure you can't ride a bike on either the Causeway or the Chausee.

October 17, 2016, 6:24 PM

Don't worry Jaiden, there will be more than enough dead people, cats, dogs, illegal aliens & felons voting to prevent that

October 17, 2016, 7:59 PM

I would really encourage keeping Theme Park Insider a politics-free zone on ALL sides. Want to talk politics? Go to Facebook. Want to talk coasters? Come on in to TPI :+)

October 18, 2016, 1:36 AM

Unless a roller coaster is politically themed, then all bets are of James.

October 18, 2016, 11:40 AM

Now, if only we could get political writers to stop using roller coaster metaphors in their reporting, too.

October 18, 2016, 11:44 AM

Seriously, though, the lack of any other options beyond cars to get to many US destinations is frustrating to many potential visitors, as we move beyond the mid-20th century, car dependent, exurban model for development toward a more sustainable model for development planning.

I could write an interesting comparison/contrast of Cedar Point and Universal Studios Singapore on access. Both are located on islands across causeways, but USS offers waaaaay more ways across than CP. Granted, Singapore's got a lot more people than Sandusky, Ohio, but there are development opportunities with this type of resort development that we too often miss in the US.

October 19, 2016, 2:11 PM

I can't speak for the guest entrance, but I remember seeing bike racks at the Universal Orlando Employee parking lot.
I must agree that in most cases, U.S. theme parks are not places that most people would travel on bikes. Additionally, theme parks are generally places people travel to in groups. Combine that with what would most frequently require interstate roadway travel, and it's not a common need.

Robert - what I think would make for an interesting piece would be to see which parks are building Cellphone App based car pick-up zones (Uber, Lyft), and which parks are installing electric car charging stations in preexisting parking lots.

Edited: October 21, 2016, 10:46 AM

@ Anthony: Quote: "biking to a Disney World Park. I would be afraid they would be killed by a car trying to get in" YES you are Right! NEARLY happened to me in Orlando short after Landing between the Years 2000 Downtown Haunted Attraction and Disney a Car (Driver been drunken) hit me (Driver escaped) and I fall of the bike getting to Hospital but been released same evening but had Pain in my Leg for 2 Weeks...

@ James: I DID bike to Cedar Point in 2007: Just before Sundasky (coming from Toledo) the 2 is getting an Interstate. Turn left their in the Lakeshore Drive. Later at a Link to the 2 a Sign says again that no bikes are allowed... Their you turn left again and the 2. right. At Deans Place (Marlbehead) again left you get now on the Bridge because here the 269 is identical with the 2!

But later again the 6 has such a Bike Problem. In Case you not have any other choice IGNORE the Signs... People not only should NOT be treated different because of their Sex, Belive, Race also not because of their kind of Transportation!

If you get a Ticket (I never got in over like 18 Months biking the US cross country!) FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS!

@ grant: WHERE is an political Themed Roller Coaster??? Merchandise/Products maybe (thinking on Bonbonland) but Politics in a Themepark? They even not allow sometimes political Messages on T-Shirts... Think saw something like this at Mt Olympus Webpage...

@ Robert: Agree! Sometimes people not KNOW about Buses that go too or at least NEAR a Themepark. Like their exists a Bus either from NYC and Phil to Great Adventure (from Phil in Fall you need a Taxi for the last 2 Miles or ask a Local to may give you a Ride. The Taxi will sharge you something like 20-35 $ for those 2 Miles as the Taxi must come from a "fare" City....

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive