Dreamworld to close Thunder River Rapids

November 8, 2016, 4:45 PM

Australia's Dreamworld will tear down its Thunder River Rapids ride, following the death of four visitors on the attraction last month.

"Out of respect for the memories of Cindy Low, Roozbeh Araghi, Kate Goodchild and Luke Dorsett, and their deeply affected families, the ride will be permanently decommissioned," the company said in a statement.

Police have concluded their investigation into the incident, but the park remains closed pending internal and external operational reviews of the park's attractions.

Replies (3)

November 10, 2016, 12:09 PM

I am sad to see it go. However, I don't think they had much of another choice... Its already going to be hard enough for them to recover after the tragedy, having the ride there would make it much harder.

Hopefully, Dreamworld will be able to use this as an opportunity, take down the Eureka Mine Cart Coaster (which is SBNO for some time, needing an overhaul to get it back to current spec) and there's a nice little area ready for redevelopment.

Edited: November 10, 2016, 8:23 PM

Sad, but understandable

Well I watched this https://youtu.be/V4VFfFFIQWQ but still not understand how they could die after Flipping over.

The Seat belts on those rides are never as tide to keep you in your seat after flipping over I think as sometimes they even hold two people in place. They're more to remind you to not stand up...

November 18, 2016, 9:09 AM

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/dreamworld-tragedy-theme-park-safety-audits-on-track-to-finish-in-november-20161118-gss85v.html has the latest update. All the theme parks in the area are undergoing a full safety audit. Warner Bros Movie world is complete, Dreamworld and its adjacent water park WhiteWaterWorld are ongoing, Sea world, Wet n Wild and the minor parks get theirs next week.

Its a real sign of how valuable the theme park corridor is to the state when the government is mandating everyone get a clean bill of health after one park's error.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive