Disney Springs Rolls into its First Holiday Season

November 22, 2016, 4:32 AM

Walt Disney World's Disney Springs retail, dining and entertainment complex is preparing to enter its first holiday shopping season. Having visited this past weekend I can report that DS is already very crowded. The first four levels of the Orange Garage were full on Sunday afternoon at 3 PM. This is the windfall that comes with offering free parking. Even the exterior parking around La Nouba looked full. With the upcoming releases of 'Moana' and 'Rogue One' the AMC theaters will be very busy. The soon to open Planet Hollywood Observatory will no doubt generate additional traffic -- with its Guy Fieri menu. At this point the DS expansion (including the conveniences produced by the civil work [roads and pedestrian bridges]) looks like a very big Disney win

Replies (9)

Edited: November 22, 2016, 5:43 PM

I said it before and I will say it again...

Best damn parking garage ever..... They show you which Floor, Row and spots are open..

November 22, 2016, 5:43 PM

Not only that, for whatever dumb luck reason, I always ended up in the same space each time I visited last week!

November 23, 2016, 7:34 AM

Great Robert has his own reserved spot now.. hahahahahaa

Hey don't give Disney any new ideas to upcharge. Reserve a spot in the garage with a Cabana for a mere $800.00

November 23, 2016, 11:04 AM

I'm really looking forward to hearing how the new drone based show is going over with the average visitor.
Are people going just because of the show and then staying to shop?
Are people stopping to watch while the show is going on, or are they glancing up as it's happening but not stopping?
Do people camp out for prime viewing in advance of the the show?
What's the operational efficiency - shows that run vs those that are cancelled due to tech and or weather conditions,etc...

November 24, 2016, 10:45 AM

Rob,

I think the show is a nice plus for DS, but when I was there no one but media people were coming just to see the show. The show can be seen from so many places that there's no need to stake out a place to watch.

A lot of what's going on at Disney World now seems to be plussing like this rather than anything designed to elicit additional trips. Disney doesn't need more visitors at this point. It's packed all the time. Heaven knows how it will be after the Avatar PR and advertising blitz.

November 24, 2016, 12:27 PM

I think DS is an excellent spot to do a version of Osborne Festival of Lights.

Looking at it from a different angle, Disney Springs seems to be much better on Twitter than some of the other Disney twitter handles!

Edited: November 25, 2016, 9:39 AM

Going to make my first trip in 8 years to Disney Springs next month. Can't wait for that and the holiday show.

November 30, 2016, 3:01 PM

Now the Starbright Holiday drone show is starting to generate some real strong local buzz. No cost to park. No admission to the event. The Springs is becoming a cash machine.

November 30, 2016, 4:07 PM

I still think this would have been the perfect place to relocate the Osborn light show.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive