Walt Disney World cancels 2017 WDW Half-Marathon

January 6, 2017, 7:28 PM

Walt Disney World tonight cancelled tomorrow's scheduled WDW Half Marathon, citing safety concerns about thunderstorms moving into the area.

While dedicated runners can deal with rain, no one wants to mess around with lightning. Registrants will receive their medals and can choose from among a race fee refund, two one day park hopper tickets, a deferred registration to another runDisney half-marathon in the next two years, or - on a space-available basis - a slot to run in Sunday's planned full marathon.

That race is still on. Sunday's forecast calls for mostly sunny skies with no chance for precipitation and a brisk high in the mid-50s.

Replies (4)

January 7, 2017, 2:58 PM

It's been raining off and on all day.

January 7, 2017, 6:06 PM

I got to thank you Robert for putting out this article! There seems to be a lot of misinformation on Twitter (when isn't that the case). Seems like Disney has come up with a few options.

January 26, 2017, 7:12 PM

Never get it. Never did NOT do anything because of Wheather above 30 Degree Fahrenheit. Been on Roof of my House in every Thunderstorm as I LOVE them. 23 Years long and I am still alive.

Chances to win a Lottery are higher as to get hit from Lightning.

Yes it happened, but that should be everyones own Decission to take the Risk ore not.

But in todays artificial Wourld always others have to decide over you because of crazy Liability Laws. No one is allowed to be liabile by his own for his own Actions...

January 27, 2017, 9:12 AM

Holger, in Florida, lightning is not to be scoffed at. I personally know 3 people who have been hit by lightning in separate incidents. One died as a result of the strike and the other two have mild to moderate brain damage.

From a common sense approach, Disney did the right thing. Sure there may have been some concern about liability, but nobody other than a sociopath would have let the race take place in those conditions.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive