What will Universal Orlando Resort do next?

June 12, 2014, 11:56 AM

Okay so now that DA’s opening is fast approaching what will be the next major attraction they will develop? My personal belief is Universal Orlando has so much potential for even more attractions. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter set the landmark of bigger and better things to come, and what I love the most is the fact that Universal has so much more space to continue building. As well as Islands of Adventure, but let us forget for a moment about all the space they have just recently Comcast (which owns Universal) gave them the green light of 500 million dollars which as we all know means KEEP BUILDING. With that being said me thinking long term I would first remove the rides and attractions that have slowly faded away and that many overlook these days. Me thinking long-term would be to not use the open space and remove the eye soars first. That alone will give them at least 15 years of huge expansions, and would help make them a true runner up on being the number one theme park.

I would like for you guys using your creative minds and say what would like to see happen and what would you like to see replaced? I would like to see them add more to The Lost Continent that has been way overdue, also I think it’s time to get rid of Fear Factor live that has become just a waste of space it’s time for it to go. Also, the Typhoon Lagoon area I know it’s popular but I think it’s become less popular over the years.

Let’s open up the discussion what do you all think? And this is my first official article on The Theme Park Insider I hope you all have enjoyed what I had to say, and I hope there will be plenty more to come.

Replies (23)

June 12, 2014, 12:51 PM

Well, we all know Kong 360 is going into JP. Rumors are floating around for one or two attractions go where the Triceratops encounter was.

Fear Factor and the BMX stadium should go next. One is completely unused and the other is not a popular attraction. Just a place to sit for a while and get out of the sun.

The person who booked our USF trip talked to me for a while and hinted that we should enjoy both Twister and T2-3D on our visit as much as possible. I am not sure if he knows something or is just guessing.

Our waiter at Pat O'Briens told us about Diagon Alley and the Hogwarts Express in 2012. Obviously, the park employees know a whole lot more than anyone else when it comes to upcoming projects.

I think IOA needs to put the lagoon to use with a night time show or a ride. They could put a flying coaster (like Superman - First Flight) over the water and tie it to any land since they all share the space.

Shrek 4D is getting a bit old and should be replaced with a movie that is more relevant today, just like they switched Jimmy for Despicable Me - Minion Mayhem.

I always complain about the dead space between Marvel Island and Toon Lagoon (where the BMX stadium is). It seems so "local theme park" in that area and not a world class theme park resort.

Edited: June 12, 2014, 2:36 PM

USH will be adding a fast & furious "attraction" as a part of it's new studio tour next year & seeing how that's one (if not it's biggest) franchise, I think something fast & furious themed could be added to the Orlando park if the Hollywood version proves to be a success. (Much like kong & transformers)

June 16, 2014, 5:29 AM

I have to agree with both of you. there is wasted space that can be replaced and I think it's time to do just that.

June 16, 2014, 11:29 AM

NB: "Our waiter at Pat O'Briens told us about Diagon Alley and the Hogwarts Express in 2012. Obviously, the park employees know a whole lot more than anyone else when it comes to upcoming projects."

I Respond: Or they are regular visitors to TPI ... just like us.

June 16, 2014, 11:39 AM

Kong's already under construction. Forbidden Forest and Ministry of Magic are pretty much open secrets at this point. Something else is replacing KidZone relatively soon. There will be a fifth hotel, too.

June 18, 2014, 7:58 AM

I know this will get a lot of hate but it's time to retire E.T. and put something else in it's place would love if they could do something with How to train your Dragon

Edited: June 18, 2014, 11:57 AM

I do love E.T, but since it does get so much love I say there is still plenty of more rides and space they could use and get rid before removing E.T. Also, I do think a how to train your dragon might be cool.

Robert, I did hear about king kong and that could be pretty exciting. With todays technology I'd love to see what they could do with that. They could maybe possibly turn the Terminator 2-D ride into an indoor rollercoaster of some sorts. If they do fast and the furious i say make it where it's a room where you sit in a built in car there's a projector where a play a scene from the movie then they car lifts off and makes you feel like your going the speed as if you were in the real car. To give the fans that feeling of what it actually feels like to be in one of the fast and furious cars maybe they could play the scene when vin diesel drives the car through the plane and the plane explodes behind him.

June 21, 2014, 10:41 AM

I think they should put a ride in the circus in goon lagoon and should take out disaster and put a fast and the furious ride there

June 21, 2014, 2:06 PM

I think they should review their infrastructure to maxmize water and electrical conservation.

June 29, 2014, 6:31 AM

For all we know we may not see a kid zone anymore, and if anything they will add more interesting stuff to it that everyone can enjoy. For instance like a how to your dragon ride that would be the smart thing to do.

June 29, 2014, 9:31 AM

Universal should take out poseidons fury and sinbad and make that section of the park lord of the rings. Also they should take out disaster and put a fast and the furious ride there

Edited: June 29, 2014, 4:41 PM

They should retire Toon Lagoon and expand Marvel Island into the Toon Lagoon space.

They need a princess counterpart to match Disney with plenty of character meals. More gentle dark rides.

After my Disney World trip in May, I realized how weak is Disney's slate of theme parks. They have four parks, but mainly one that I visited repeatedly. I have no love for Epcot and DHS. I did love Animal Kingdom, but visited once. I visited the Magic Kingdom three times and the rest one time each on a 6 day pass.

Universal needs to add more gentle rides. There should be more kids rides. There are too many simulator rides.

Edited: July 1, 2014, 12:56 PM

They might and should demolish Twister and Fear Factor. What should replace it, I am not sure about. I agree with Annon that Universal should add more kids rides, but not too much. Rumors have been going about what's left of Lost Contienet becoming a Skull Island land. I don't believe Universal will do this, but it could happen.
UPDATE: Wait, Skull Island is being constructed? Any photos that prove this?

July 1, 2014, 3:59 PM

Believe in Niles, he said that universal is constructing something around Jurassic Park over at IOA and that it's going to be some sort of Skull Island Niles has posted this along with rough sky view plans of zoning. So yeah I'm pretty sure it's going in inclusion of Jurassic Park. Universal is going ludicrous speed!

July 2, 2014, 3:31 PM

Yes it's exciting stuff and it does look like they are already building King Kong behind Typhoon Lagoon. If it's not King Kong then it's something big I'm ecstatic to see what they make of it.

July 2, 2014, 4:24 PM

I've heard rumors of T2 getting an update visually. And wasn't there a rumor (or did this already happen?) that the Simpsons would also be receiving an update too?

July 2, 2014, 4:39 PM

The Simpsons already got updated and if what you say about T2 is true then I'd be disappointed cause I would have liked to see them replace that with something better

July 3, 2014, 10:12 AM

Is it just me, or do I feel like I am the only person on this site that actually enjoys T2??

July 3, 2014, 11:20 AM

I enjoy T2, but it is getting dated and should be replaced with something based on a movie that is more recent. It would be nice to see a family attraction put in there that I can use to sell a Universal Orlando vacation to my non-thrill-seeking wife, and please, no indoor coasters or anything based on the premise that "something goes wrong".

July 3, 2014, 12:07 PM

I know it's very dated and no one remembers the movie, but no one sounds like they actually enjoy it. I may be proven wrong.

July 3, 2014, 12:13 PM

I do enjoy it but I think something much better can be put there. I mean that's a lot of space that could be used to attract more people to the park.

July 8, 2014, 11:39 AM

I actually have this awesome idea some may disagree with me but i'm still working on it

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive