EPCOT - what's coming!

July 22, 2017, 6:16 AM

After all the announcements for epcot at the D23, I was intrigued that it was also confirmed that several other projects to bring Disney IP to the countries representing their films are in development. Does anyone have any further information on what these might be?

The fact that no new countries were announced (as has been the rumour again recently) - can we assume this is likely to be dead-in-the-water now and we are going to get more attractions linked to the current countries instead?

Surprised that there was no mention of the Journey into Imagination ride - does it mean this is likely to limp along for quite a few more years? Or do you think Disney has more announcements to come in the near future.

Be great to get all your thoughts
Thanks
Mike

Replies (9)

July 22, 2017, 10:46 AM

I'm waiting for Pixar to develop a film using brand-new Marvel characters, set in Brazil.

And I can't decide if this is a joke post, or a serious prediction.

July 22, 2017, 1:48 PM

That sounds like something that would have fit in the Eisner Cheapquel era Robert.... I had thought Disney had moved on.

July 22, 2017, 2:54 PM

Nah, they'll just do it with a ridiculous budget now.

July 22, 2017, 4:55 PM

While I have no confirmation, from whispers I've heard there is supposedly an Inside Out ride in development to replace Imagination, along with at least one more new World Showcase attraction (not sure what or where) scheduled for the 40th anniversary. I've also heard of The Seas being upgraded with a Finding Dory theme and (if the movie performs well) a Coco-themed redo of the Gran Fiesta Tour. My guess is that Disney wanted to announce the projects that either are going to be most visible or generate the most publicity now, and will be saving other projects to announce over the next couple years (with likely a full reveal of WDW 50th and Epcot 40th enhancements at the next D23 Expo). All of the above would be in line with what Disney is trying to do with Epcot, and as I doubt any of them would have as long of a construction timeline as Guardians, I suspect Disney will wait until Star Wars opens in Florida before taking more of Epcot offline.

As for a new country, I wouldn't hold your breath on that. It could definitely happen, but I get the sense Disney is going to focus on improving what they have rather than adding something completely new (at least for now).

Edited: July 23, 2017, 8:32 AM

>>>As for a new country, I wouldn't hold your breath on that. It could definitely happen,

I wouldn't hold your breath either. I know other Full-service atlantic carriers are trying to work out how to deal with Norwegan Air Shuttle bringing low fares to US-Europe routes... Is someone in NY or Boston who wants to experience a European feeling going to go to Epcot, or jump on NAS for about the same cost as a day ticket at WDW, and get the real thing?

On the flipside, cheap TransAtlantic fares also bring in more European guests (in the UK we get about as much ads for WDW as we do for DLP)... A European isn't going to go to Epcot to see Norway, they're going to go to Norway.

Fictional versions, like Frozen for Norway avoids this problem rather than life like facsimilies that the original concept pushed.

July 24, 2017, 8:03 PM

That rumored Iside Out attraction would actually make a lot of sense, being that it's a succesful film that might get a sequel.

I don't know about Coco. It highly depends on the succes of the film, and on possible sequels for it. They're probably still deciding that.

I also really hope they don't make a Brazil pavillion. As a brazillian, I don't think people in Brazil want to go to the US to see... Brazil. Though, on the other hand, they could show other less-explored cultures in Brazil, like from the Northeast, or South.

Edited: July 25, 2017, 6:52 AM

"That rumored Iside Out attraction would actually make a lot of sense, being that it's a succesful film that might get a sequel."

Now that it's over 2 years from its theatrical run, I would wager that most people have forgotten Inside Out. Disney doesn't leverage it anymore, and save for a sequel (which is no closer to be green-lit today than when the original move was raking in the cash), it's far from the average person's consciousness. The concept of using the movie's characters in the Imagination Pavilion is a great idea, and would definitely bring life to what has become a depressing place within EPCOT. However, I think Disney needs to be careful throwing the IP du jour onto attractions without ensuring that they can stand the test of time.

July 25, 2017, 5:33 PM

I don't know, Russel... From time to time I always hear something related to Inside Out. And about a sequel, it sure wouln't be coming for a while, Pixar too busy with other stuff, but a ride would also take some time to be made, Disney focusing first on other EPCOT changes. I like the movie and, though it's not my favorite, I'd be interest in seeing it integrated to EPCOT.

July 28, 2017, 6:37 PM

You know, i always thought Inside Out would be put in the old Wonders of Life pavilion. After all it and Cranium Command share similar story so it makes sense.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive