Disney 'drops' a sequel to Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout

August 24, 2017, 3:15 PM

Remember when so many Disney fans online confidently predicted last year that Disneyland would be forced to dump its Tower of Terror replacement, Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout?

Many said that the Guardians of the Galaxy theme wouldn't work on the classic drop ride and that fans would reject the switch.

(For the record, I think I might have been the first person to come out to say that the Guardians switch might result in a better attraction experience... and I got ROASTED for that opinion.)

Well, those nay-sayers were right. At least, partially. Disney has prepared a replacement for Mission Breakout. ;^)

In fact, it's a sequel, and it's coming in as a evenings-only holiday overlay during HalloweenTime at the Disneyland Resort.

Mission Breakout has been an unqualified success since it opened in May, winning raves from fans, and Disney's going to keep feeding their love for this experience with a new version of the wildly popular ride. From Disney's press release:

Once the sun sets each evening, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! will transform into Guardians of the Galaxy – Monsters After Dark. Your adventure picks up moments after the events of Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!. The Guardians have successfully escaped The Collector’s Fortress, but they have accidentally left behind Groot! This is where you come in: Rocket needs your help distracting the creatures that have been accidentally released inside The Collector’s Fortress so he can save everyone’s favorite Flora Colossus.

The experience will include a new song, "Monsters After Dark, written by Tyler Bates, the composer of the Guardians of the Galaxy films.

The Monsters After Dark overlay runs in place of the regular Mission Breakout version starting at sundown each night between September 15 through October 31 at Disney California Adventure.

Replies (4)

August 24, 2017, 3:39 PM

I'll be there. The lines have gotten light lately. Now, it will be pure madness again, but hopefully not 300 minute waits. Hey, why can't they run the Halloween overlay all day? I'll have to get my Fastpass later in the day. Time it perfectly.

August 24, 2017, 4:09 PM

So, as Groot is kind of like a tree, should we anticipate an Arbor Day version too?

Edited: August 27, 2017, 6:33 AM

Seems like something that could be played every day after dawn(instead of halloween-only), like you can ride it in the morning/afternoon, and later in the day ride the "sequel".

August 27, 2017, 8:12 AM

This is all beyond stupid.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive