Why Does Warner Brothers licence Harry Potter to Universal?

October 17, 2017, 3:38 AM

Now that Warner are making their own great theme parks (Australia, Germany, Abu Dhabi soon) I bet they a bit peeved that they cheaply sold off the theme park rights to Harry Potter so early.

Warner need to get Potter back from Universal to make their own parks credible - but knowing how Universal act like magpies with other studios' IP, will they give it back to WB?

Replies (10)

October 17, 2017, 4:57 AM

Well, WB is probably still making some good money off of it.

Lets not forget that WB is actually licensing Harry Potter from JK Rowling so in the end, they can only control their version of the Harry Potter World.

I bet it doesn't bug them as much as you think.

October 17, 2017, 5:21 AM

I believe it’s JK’s decision as she’s the one who demanded no coke products

October 17, 2017, 7:40 AM

They also license Looney Tunes and D.C. To Six Flags. Avatar is not Disney. Licensing is not a new thing, and I do not see WB getting into the theme park buisiness in the US. Also, I agree that it seems that JK had a great influence on the Wizarding World, as I would not think WB would care as much.

October 17, 2017, 9:12 AM

Because they make money and in the end that's all that matters.

October 17, 2017, 3:21 PM

Warner Bros. isn't making its own theme parks in those locations. It's licensing its IP to those parks, just as it did to Universal. WB knows how to make a deal.

October 17, 2017, 3:46 PM

Even then WB's stake in its "parks" is questionable. WB Movie World Australia is actually Village Roadshow Theme Parks, operating under a license.... and they've made deals with 20th Century Fox for South Korea. Parque Warner Madrid is partially owned by Time Warner, and part owned by a professional theme park company (although their other parks seem to be also rans).

October 17, 2017, 5:39 PM

Like others have mentioned, it's not Warner Brothers. Its Warner Brothers and Rowling. Universal needs Warner Brothers permission to use the likeness of the movies, but just like WB or anyone who wants to use any Harry Potter related characters, names, etc, Universal needs Rowling's approved to make anything Harry Potter related. Universal, WB, and Rowling all agreed because the relationship is a money maker for everyone involved.

The U.S. theme park market has little room for Warner Brothers or anyone else to open a park that would compete with Disney or Universal so it makes more sense to licence out to theme parks including Universal and Six Flags. In other parts of the world, the market is much less saturated, and it makes more sense for Warner Brothers or another company to make a Warmer Brothers theme park.

October 17, 2017, 5:48 PM

Ah, the return of Clackers, Universal Troll.

Clackers, if you think WB aren't doing things properly, apply there with your resume and qualifications. Tell them the mistakes they are making and how you can potentially help to increase their bottom line.

Oh, and by the way, WB was in talks with Disney for the rights and Disney blew it. This is why the rights ended up at Universal. IMO, Universal would have done Star Wars better, too, but oh well.

October 17, 2017, 5:59 PM

Oh, Clackers, just one more thing. Movie Park Germany hasn't been warners for a long time.

October 18, 2017, 8:13 AM

Answer to the original question: $$$$$$$$$$

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive