Out with the Old in with the New Time to Let Go of Terminator 2

July 7, 2014, 6:30 AM

Terminator 2 Ride 3-D has been at Universal Orlando since April 27 1996. That's 18 years it's been a long time now don't get me wrong nothing beats a classic and who doesn't love the terminator, but I think it's about time for Arnold's famous line "Hasta la Vista baby."

why do I say this well let's look at the phenomenon that the Wizarding World of Harry Potter has started. Universal has now set the bar very to keep making things even bigger and better new franchises. It's 2014 and it just doesn't seem that Terminator 2 fits that bill anymore. Terminator 2 3-D takes up a decent ammount of space they could make something pretty big there, so the question remins what should replace it?

Replies (20)

July 7, 2014, 9:12 AM

I agree, Terminator is long past its prime. We simply walk past it to get to ET ride.

I believe the problem is that Universal would have to put another show in that space. Unless they put up some serious monies to re-do that building\Area.

Universal just spent millions of Diagon Alley so I do not
think they will spend a bunch on replacing the structure.

Only time will tell….No way to guess…

July 7, 2014, 9:32 AM

Brian, I wouldn't want them to put a new show because let's be honest who watches the show anymore. they are played out just like fear factor live. I want to see them put a new ride there, because there is a lot of space there make it useful. I'm pretty sure most people would agree with me, and yes I know they just spent a lot of money, but would it be wishful thinking to believe we could see something come 2016 or 2017.

July 7, 2014, 10:03 AM

When it was built T2-3D was jaw dropping...Frankly, it still is. Unfortunately, 3-D has become such a part of everyday life that the "Wow" factor is lost. Add to that, the technology being hyped in the preshow now seems so dated it makes for an obvious choice. It's time to recycle this space and bring in something new. It's a shame, but time marches on.

July 7, 2014, 10:46 AM

I wouldn't be to surprised if Universal decides to fix up the show and fix the effects/overhaul the show to debut alongside the new Terminator film next year.

Edited: July 7, 2014, 10:59 AM

They probably should give T2 the boot, but let's be real. They shouldn't replace something just because it's old, and it shouldn't be replaced unless they can develop something better to take its place.

Disney is still getting legs out of Captain EO, and T2 is an infant in comparison. The T2 space presents serious challenges to house a ride. It's a 3-stage theater with a limited backstage area, so it would take some serious work to reconfigure the space for a ride with multiple scenes. That rules out pretty much any roller coaster, and any high-velocity/multi-stage dark ride. The T2 space in Hollywood was used to create the Despicable Me clone, which is a motion-sim movie. You could probably make a similar conversion with Orlando's space, but does the park really need another motion sim movie with 3 already in the park (Simpsons, Shrek, and Despicable Me)? I kinda like the idea that both parks have a stunt show (Water World in Hollywood and T2 in Florida).

Without something truly innovative, I think T2 will stay in USF for a while. Fear Factor and Twister are far more likely to meet their end in the next 3-5 years than T2. The effects stage in Hollywood (Backdraft) was taken out to make room for Transformers, and Twister is really just a capacity increasing attraction (along with Disaster!) for the Florida park at this point.

A Fast and Furious themed attraction might a a good fit, but I'm not sure how you could make a car stunt show work in that small space of T2 (might work better at the Fear Factor stage). Perhaps the new Fast and Furious conversion being done in Hollywood could be adapted for the Florida park, but I would much rather see it done with real stunts, like Lights Motors Action at DHS.

July 7, 2014, 11:39 AM

I still enjoy T-2 with it's combination of live & screen effects. My feeling is that they will refurb the attraction with significant upgrades. It's a good capacity attraction and Universal will need that capacity with the increased attendance from Diagon and the loss of capacity while the KidZone area is redone. T-2 will be there for at least the next few years.

July 7, 2014, 6:25 PM

All I got to say about this attraction is

SUPER!

July 7, 2014, 9:34 PM

T2 is a good show. It should remain. It shouldn't be removed just because it is old. If it isn't already upgraded to digital projection, that's the next step.

The Hollywood version had to go obviously due to lack of space.

July 7, 2014, 9:57 PM

That, and the star of the show was toxic PR to the mostly-locals crowd in Hollywood. No one out here misses T2, but I wonder if the appeal in Orlando isn't mostly to foreign (mostly South American) tourists, for whom Arnold still holds strong appeal.

It's rare when a park is better off closing an attraction than waiting for its replacement to be ready to install. So until that point arrives, USF's probably better off just keeping T2 running for those who care about it.

Edited: July 7, 2014, 10:07 PM

Another reason to keep it in Orlando is the rumored Terminator sequel (T5, after Terminator Salvation) that will feature Arnold Schwarzenegger. I don't know yet if he will have a substantial role or mere cameo. Terminator still has a long shelf life.

His political past was troubling, but I'm letting it go. Let it go.

July 8, 2014, 5:18 AM

Regardless of what you think of Arnold or his politics, T2 needs to stay in Universal Orlando until a replacement show or ride is ready to replace it, and please let whatever goes in that space be a family ride or show. Universal Orlando leans a little too far onto the thrill ride side of the ledger, and it makes it difficult for those of use with non-thrill seeking family members to go there as often as we want.

July 8, 2014, 10:26 AM

Anon there is in fact a sequel being filmed right now being billed just as Terminator. Arnold will have a pretty big role from what I've read (as big as the first 3) and the film will release in July of 2015.

July 17, 2014, 1:21 AM

With the exception of E.T. and Beetlejuice(which has seen minor revisions), Terminator is the oldest attraction at the park.

This park has received so many new additions, most of them major, in the past 7 years(Simpsons Ride w/Springfield ,Hollywood RRR,Despicable Me,Transformers,Harry Potter). That's probably as much or close to as all the four Disney World parks combined in that time frame. I doubt there is anything in the pipeline for this park, so that being said T2:3-D is probably safe for some time before anything new needs to replace anything old.

July 17, 2014, 6:30 AM

@Anon Mouse yeah T5 isn't rumoured they are filming it now Arnold has a big part in the new film and i'm looking forward in seeing Emilia Clarke playing Sarah Connor

July 17, 2014, 10:38 AM

How about turning old attraction into a Jack Bauer 24 attraction...

Anyone?

July 18, 2014, 8:27 PM

Dr. Peter Venkman: What I'd really like to do is talk to Dana. Dana? It's Peter.

Dana Barrett: There is no Dana, there is only Zuul.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Oh, Zuulie, you nut, now c'mon. Just relax, c'mon. I want to talk to Dana. Dana, Dana. Can I talk to Dana?

Dana Barrett: [in an inhuman demonic voice] There is no Dana, only Zuul!

Dr. Peter Venkman: I'M AFRAID OT HIS WOMAN, OSCAR, OSCAR!!!

Me driving in the car, cowardly. XD.

July 22, 2014, 6:07 AM

Oscar that's like the second or third time you say something random like that. What are you talking about???

July 22, 2014, 6:11 AM

Actually yes, me thinking about it now they should probably keep it an upgrade for the new T5 coming out next summer. Maybe it's just time for a big upgrade.

July 22, 2014, 9:09 AM

Wicked Stage Show

July 22, 2014, 1:00 PM

Alec Vergara, it's just a joke.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive