Something you forgot about the Disney/Fox deal...

Edited: March 26, 2018, 8:18 PM

Alright, Some of you may heard about the Disney buying Fox deal. But you guys have forgot to mention something...

Okay, Listen Up.

in 2016, DreamWorks Animation was bought by Comcast and put it under NBCUniversal. but 20th Century Fox still owns the distribution rights to 2013-2017 DreamWorks Animation movies.

If Disney buys Fox. Disney can make an exchange deal with NBCUniversal. Where NBCUniversal can have the DreamWorks Animation assets from Disney (the distribution rights of 2013-2017 DreamWorks Animation films and the broadcasting rights to Shrek the Halls (Shrek the Halls used to air it on ABC (which Disney owns) and NBCUniversal owns NBC)) and Disney can have the rest of Marvel assets from NBCUniversal (the film rights to Hulk, distribution rights to The Incredible Hulk and theme park rights to Marvel for Florida and Japan).

Replies (14)

March 26, 2018, 8:59 AM

I may be wrong, but I believe DreamWorks Pictures and DreamWorks Animation are two completely separate entities. Universal now owns Animation and I think has a distribution deal (not ownership) of Pictures. Not sure what will happen with theme park rights of the Disney-distributed Pictures films but I doubt those are too important to Universal, unless I'm missing something.

March 26, 2018, 11:06 AM

The theme park rights to Marvel for the broadcast rights to Shrek the Halls?

Seriously?

Keep dreaming, Disney fans.

Edited: March 26, 2018, 11:35 AM

At this point, Disney is sitting back and waiting to see what the outcome of the AT&T and Time Warner antitrust court battle is going to be. If the government shoots down AT&T as both a broad distributor as well as a top 5 content creator, then Disney will want to sick their lawyers on helping the government break up Comcast/NBC/Universal for the same reason.

Until then, Disney is going to see how far they can take the Marvel agreement before Universal lawyers up.

Edited: March 26, 2018, 12:22 PM

Universal has no reason to budge on the current Marvel Island at IOA. The deal is the deal. If Disney starts violating the agreement, it has enough specificity that Universal lawyers would have a huge advantage.

I expect many other areas of IOA to change before Marvel Island-- probably much to the dismay of Disney. Actually, if I think about it, if Disney started building their own Marvel Land right now, it might be finished by the time Universal is ready to give up the rights :-D

March 26, 2018, 1:10 PM

How to be removed from the board of NBCUniversal:

"Okay guys, so you know how Shrek has a Christmas special we can't air..."

March 26, 2018, 2:30 PM

thanks for compelling me to actually look up the dreamworks animation movies from 2013-2017 .... subsequently, thanks for wasting my time.

March 26, 2018, 3:48 PM

Don't also forget the side show in the UK. Comcast, not 20thCF/Disney, is now the prime candidate to take over Sky.

March 27, 2018, 1:25 AM

What about The Simpsons Ride?

Also, I don't know if this is true or not, but Marvel execs were pissed off about what happen during Halloween Horror Nights 2002, in a scarezone, "Island Under Siege", where Marvel heroes have been killed and villains has taken over. In the maze "Maximum Carnage", bodies of superheroes have been strung up as trophies.

April 3, 2018, 2:35 AM

Just a wee update. As you may recall part of Disney buyingFox is that they’d end up owning Sky TV if fox are successful in buying Sky. The latter part of this has been snagged by competition concerns in the news space - the Fox/Sky deal is being evaluated without looking at Disney’s possible purchase of Fox, and Rupert Murdoch has a big chunk of the newspaper pie, and there’s also some fears about his ownership of Fox News (not in a competition sense as Fox News doesn’t broadcast here anymore, but more the problems that Fox News has faced)

News today is that Disney have offered to buy Sky’s news channel directly, removing that concern from the equation. They’ll still be battling with Comcast for Sky, but as Disney has no news assets here, there no obvious problem in them buying it, and removing the competition issues from consideration.

April 6, 2018, 8:30 PM

@Chad H. I heard rumors about a possible re-merger between CBS and Viacom. If that happen, then there might a chance to make an exchange deal between Disney and CBS/Viacom (similar to what Disney and NBCUniversal did with Oswald/Al Michaels did). Where Disney gets fewer assets from CBS/Viacom (four Indiana Jones movies, rights to Winx Club and 30% of Rainbow S.r.l.; all of them to bolster Disney's upcoming streaming service) and CBS/Viacom gets fewer assets from Disney (getting the rights to Doug back and a sportcaster from ESPN to work for CBS Sports)

Edited: April 9, 2018, 11:37 AM

@Oscar Marquez...go home, you're drunk.

April 9, 2018, 12:07 AM

@Barry Zuckerkorn what do you mean?

Edited: April 9, 2018, 12:06 PM

Well Oscar, I'm having trouble understanding your comment too. I don't think CBS/Viacom could get back together in the current environment aside from a digital streaming agreement. CBS has been very coy about their viewership for CBS All Access, but my guess is that Star Trek is not enough to drive subscribers to their platform over others. It would make sense for CBS to find some more content to compete with the leaders in the streaming market like NetFlex, Hulu, and Amazon.

However, what needs to be understood on this website is that "rights" can mean very different things. For instance, one company may have the theater distribution rights to an IP, while another has the home distribution rights, while yet another has the theme park rights. As streaming services become more prolific, those rights are becoming more valuable, so it's possible that a fourth company has interest in a given IP by way of owning the exclusive streaming rights. There are also the IPs that were financed by multiple production companies before they got big, giving two fierce competitors equal stake in the future of the IP.

It's impossible to read how the theme park landscape will change based on rumors or even deals that have been announced but not finalized (like the Disney/Fox deal). The landscape is constantly changing, and agreements are being modified constantly (I noticed that just a couple of weeks ago, all the Marvel series could only by streamed through Netflix, but in the past week, Netflix has allowed subscribers to download Marvel series to watch off-line). It's a very complicated and ever changing situation, but as far as theme parks go, most of these media deals have little affect. Even the Disney/Fox deal will have little immediate impact on the theme parks, with any significant changes as a result of the merger not likely to occur for decades.

April 10, 2018, 3:07 PM

Looks like Fox's european offices have been raided over competition concerns.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/apr/10/antitrust-officials-raid-21st-century-fox-european-offices

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive