Can any theme park make a decent pizza?

April 19, 2018, 9:30 PM

Thinking about Disney's "puffy white bread with melted red and white crayons on top" got me asking this question.

Sure, a lot of theme park fast food leaves much to be desired. But for whatever reason, pizza seems to be the Achilles' heel of theme park fast food. It's rare to find a decent slice in a park, at least in Orlando and Southern California. Only Epcot's Via Napoli really hits it on a consistent basis, and it ain't cheap.

Heck, when a lot of people are raving about Blaze Pizza as the best thing on property, you know there's room for improvement.

So let's break it down. Is anyone doing pizza well in a theme park? Which are the best places for theme park pizza and which are the worst?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Replies (12)

April 20, 2018, 5:24 AM

Robert ....... got to agree with you on the Blaze pizza at The Springs ... it's awful. If you want to experience a 'real' Blaze pizza in action, take a drive out to Winter Park .... that is worth the visit. Other than that, I don't know of any good pizzas in the parks. One week the pizza at SeaWorld can be pretty good, the next week ... Oh dear :( It's rare I get pizza because of that uncertainty factor.
Although I was tempted yesterday by the pizza at the Serengeti Overlook, but in the end spent a pleasant 3/4hr on the patio watching the animals whilst eating my club sandwich and fries .... :)

April 20, 2018, 9:14 AM

I really do not want to reopen the adjacent shopping/dining district is a "theme park" thing again. But - I think the pizza at DLR's Naples Ristorante e Pizzeria in Downtown Disney is very good. I've gone there two times with my work team on outings to have dinner before driving back to San Diego. Both times we have shared the large rectangular pizzas with the amazing tiny pepperoni. I think it's some of the best pizza I've ever had.

April 20, 2018, 9:30 AM

Blaze at DSTP makes an excellent pie!

April 20, 2018, 9:50 AM

Blaze makes fine pizza, but is one of many rapid bake, unlimited toppings style franchises around the country (Mod, &Pizza, Pieology, and others). While these franchises are fine, I'd much rather see theme parks step up and create their own concepts based on these successful chains. I'd also like to see parks explore different types of pizza instead of falling back to the lowest common denominator. Via Napoli is a great example of excellent pizza, but it shouldn't require a $1 million pizza oven and spring water shipped from Naples to make a great pizza.

The Sea World parks have decent pizza (BGW has an all-you-can-eat pizza and pasta restaurant that is quite good and a step up from Cici's and other similar chains), but agree that they can be inconsistent.

April 20, 2018, 11:20 AM

Red Oven at CityWalk has great pizza's imho.

April 21, 2018, 8:41 AM

I agree with OT ... Red Oven in Citywalk makes pretty good pizza

April 21, 2018, 11:00 AM

Ristorante di Canaletto at Tokyo DinseySEA's Mediterranean Harbor serves delicious authentic Italian style pizza. The kitchen and dining room are combined so you can watch the chefs prepare your meal.

April 23, 2018, 7:48 AM

Of course, but they'll charge triple the price. Disneyland's Pizza Port is selling it's new full pizza for $39.99. There's a reason most theme park restaurants are not made to order. Just too many customers and the kids will demand their bready style pizza that they get served at their favorite pizza places like Pizza Hut, Dominos, and Papa John's.

April 23, 2018, 9:57 AM

I thought that the pizza at Busch Gardens Tampa's Serengeti Overlook was excellent.

April 23, 2018, 10:44 AM

Sals at portofino...Napoli at epcot...the rest is just bad to poor..I'm spoiled, I'm use to true N.Y. Pizza...

April 24, 2018, 10:40 AM

Honestly in all my times at the Orlando parks, I think I’ve only ever eaten pizza at one place: Louie’s Italian Restaurant at USF. I’d say the pizza there is decent at worst, but maybe that’s just me. Outside of the parks, I did enjoy the pizza at Lazy Moon.

May 1, 2018, 6:25 AM

I thought Pizzrizzo's at DHS was much better than expected. You can also get pretty decent drinks and salads there which probably up the appeal of that place.

I still am not sure why everybody loves Blaze. It is ok, but a chain. This is a very low bar.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive