Steel Vengeance station collision on Cedar Point's opening day

Edited: May 5, 2018, 2:08 PM

A returning train collided with a dispatching train in the load station on Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point today.

This was the opening day of the season for the park and thus the first official day of operation for Steel Vengeance, the RMC rebuild of Mean Streak. Reports had the wait time at over four hours before the incident.

No reports of injuries. The ride is closed for at least the rest of the day as an investigation continues.

Anyone at the Point today who can add anything?

Replies (2)

May 5, 2018, 6:38 PM

I don't have much more information than Robert already posted. Two trains "bumped" each other in the station. Four people requested to be seen at the first aid station, and all returned to the park. Nobody else complained of injuries. Everybody on both trains were given Fast Lane passes and All-Day Food vouchers by Cedar Point, and the ride remains closed. As of now (9:35 p.m. EDT) no announcement has been made yet about when it will reopen.

The Sandusky Register reported that someone waiting in the queue heard one of the trains ("Digger"- which btw was the train that Robert and I rode for media day) was making an odd noise as it approached the station. That is really all the information I have, and that bit of info might not be significant or accurate. I'll pass on more as I hear it.

I think we're all grateful that there were no injuries involved.

Edited: May 5, 2018, 7:28 PM

It's just been posted on Twitter by Cedar Point that Steel Vengeance will reopen tomorrow. They even had it running this evening about 9 p.m., first testing then for a few lucky (?) riders. Everyone is raving about the smoothness of the ride.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive