Steel Vengeance, Fast Lane Plus and Uncertainty

May 10, 2018, 5:10 AM

Cedar Point has taken Steel Vengeance off of their list of rides that accept Fast Lane Plus, or Fast Lane of any kind. As of right now there is no "official" word about what's going on, but on last Sunday they were only allowing riders who got a boarding pass of some kind, but I wasn't there to find out any more about it. The park opens this Saturday for daily operations, and I assume that something will be announced soon about how this is handled. If anyone is planning on going this weekend, be aware of a "fluid" situation with SV, and let us know in here when you find out.

Replies (10)

May 10, 2018, 7:40 AM

This is exactly why you should NEVER plan a trip to experience a brand new attraction in it's first few weeks of operation. Always allow at least a month or 2 for rides to go through a proper "shake-down" before committing to a costly trip. Heck, we waited almost 3 months the year TTD opened, and still needed 3 days and a 4 hour wait in line to get a ride on the record breaking coaster. It's just not worth the aggravation or frustration to build expectation for a new ride that may or may not be operating so early in the season. I've learned to never get my hopes up for a new attraction unless it's been running consistently for over a month.

Edited: May 10, 2018, 1:03 PM

According to what I've been hearing elsewhere, due to the accident on opening day the park is only permitted to operate the coaster with one train at the moment. As a result, the current capacity of the coaster is right around 300 riders per hour. Because of this reduced capacity, as well as possible intermittent operation, everyone who wants to ride must get a boarding pass at the attraction, which gives a one-hour window in which to return and get in line (think of it like a mandatory Fastpass). These ran out in about an hour on Sunday, and it's expected that the same will be true for as long as this system is in place.

The park is working with RMC and IOE to figure out what went wrong and how to prevent it from happening again, but the ride will need to be re-certified before multi-train operation can resume. Once the park is able to reliably run all three trains on the coaster, the boarding passes will be dropped and Fast Lane will be reinstated. My guess is that this will likely happen in the next few weeks as I'm sure the park wants to have it running at full capacity by the time summer crowds hit, but nobody can say for sure. In the meantime, if you're going to the park and want to ride Steel Vengeance, get there early and head straight to the ride to claim a boarding pass.

Edit: Official update from the park

May 10, 2018, 3:06 PM

Statement just issued by Tony Clark:

We have an update on the operation of Steel Vengeance.

Right now, Steel Vengeance will be running with one train while the manufacturer, Rocky Mountain Construction, makes adjustments to the ride.

Because wait times for Steel Vengeance will be longer than normal, and to permit as many guests to ride as possible, we may institute a timed “boarding pass” that gives you a time to return to get into the regular line. Note that this is not for immediate access – it only gives you a time to enter the line.

Going forward, if we implement boarding passes, we will notify you on our official Twitter, including the time they will be distributed. Boarding passes must be obtained near the ride entrance and are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Also, for now, we’ve removed Steel Vengeance from Fast Lane Plus. Keep in mind that you can still use Fast Lane Plus at many other attractions at the park, including Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, GateKeeper and Valravn.

However, if you purchased Fast Lane Plus in advance of your visit and have decided you no longer wish to use it, you may stop at any admission window prior to getting your wristband to receive a refund on your Fast Lane Plus purchase.

We will keep you updated once we receive further details from the manufacturer.

May 10, 2018, 3:54 PM

It’s going to be a tough task for those not staying onsite to get a pass due to the hour early entitlement. Fortunately I’m staying at the Breakers hotel, so even if I get to ride it just the once every day I’ll be ok with that. Hopefully in a couple of weeks they will have resolved it, but good to know this before I arrive.

May 10, 2018, 4:47 PM

Well at least Robert and James K got to ride it for all of us.

Kudos to CP for implementing a compromise of sort instead of trying to funnel everyone through at the same time. I know it’s going to be a little frustrating, but it’s probably for the best. I’m optimistic that the situation will be resolved soon instead of CP having a Lightning Rod ordeal on their hands. As far as my upcoming trip goes, I’m glad it’s next month and that we aren’t going up there specifically for SV, just in case it doesn’t get resolved.

Edited: May 11, 2018, 6:47 AM

@Makorider - Platinum passholders also receive early access to the park, so it's not just hotel guests.

Edited: May 11, 2018, 10:55 PM

Good point Russell ... thanks. I’m a platinum pass holder anyway, but tend to forget that perk because I stay at the Breakers ....
Although I’ve just checked ERT at Kings Island and I’ll get 30mins on Mystic Timbers, Banshee and a few more, so yes, we’ll worth having a platinum pass.
.... and yet another edit ...
Just reading thru the CP web page and I see there is a Steel Vengeance exclusive ride night for platinum passholders on May 22nd ... and I’m there that night .... :)
Keep fingers crossed for good weather.

May 19, 2018, 7:31 PM

I got into the park just after a heavy rainstorm, around 4:30 .... and headed straight for Steel Vengeance. The line was tagged as 2hrs, but actually took 1hr 15mins, so pretty good considering it was a Saturday afternoon. I rode it again around 9:30 and the wait was just over 30mins. All in all not bad thru’ put considering they are only running one train. Way to early to say if it’s my new #1, but that nighttime ride was darn good .... :)
I’ll be in at 9 in the morning, so we’ll see what the wait times are for the early entrance.

May 20, 2018, 2:03 AM

Guess we can count this out for coaster of the year. Sounds awful and a safety hazard!!

Edited: May 21, 2018, 4:17 PM

If a water slide can win the roller coaster of the year in 2017, then I have no qualms about a partially operating real roller coaster taking the prize in 2018.

But, I like your style - if we say enough negative stuff about SV, then we might convince some of the GP to avoid the park!!! The end result being shorter lines for those of us who know this ride is gonna be back up to full operations quicker than a Universal Orlando fan boy can write a scathing review of Fast and Furious!

Steel Vengeance is broken, y'all! Stay away - you'll die if you ride it! In the words of Gandalf, "Fly, you fools!!!"

;)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive