Prediction: When/what will Disneyland make major changes to its AP program

May 31, 2018, 10:53 AM

There is speculation that Disneyland will be announcing changes to its Annual Passholder program at least one year before it plans to open its new Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge sometime next summer.

When do you think this will be announced, and what changes to do you think they will be?

My prediction/guess: June 20th, a few days before the opening of Pixar Pier, together with the annual price increase for tickets and passes. Three-month blockouts for Disneyland park for all passholders below Signature level starting around expected opening of SWGE (beyond currently existing blockouts). Suspension of sales of So Cal Select passes and Signature level passes, with only Deluxe and Signature Plus available for new sales.

Replies (7)

Edited: June 1, 2018, 2:46 PM

I think you'll see something similar to what Universal did with WWoHP when it opened at USH. There's a possibility the SoCal Select pass will survive, but the entire summer will be blacked out (Memorial Day to Labor Day) as well as all weekends through the rest of the year. I also would expect prices to go up at least 10% and a simplification of the tiers even if they hang onto the SoCal Select pass. There will probably be a limited blackout pass that will likely blackout the summer, but will lift blackouts in the fall (leaving holidays and certain weekends - including Fridays blacked out). They'll probably still keep the unlimited pass free from blackouts, but the price is going to be well over $1,500. I also think they may also use MaxPass/PhotoPass as a differentiator for the new tiering with the perks limited to just the unlimited pass.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce before the end of July, and may couple the release of details with official press releases timed around the opening of Pixar Pier. The bottom line is if they are going to make changes in an attempt to control access to Galaxy's Edge, they need to do it soon if indeed the new land is going to open in the summer of 2019 (before July 4, 2019).

June 1, 2018, 1:24 PM

Sooner rather than later. That’s all I can say for now.

Edited: June 1, 2018, 4:28 PM

Given that changes often happen on a Sunday, I'm going with June 17th as it is the last Sunday before Pixar Pier opens. As for changes, I'm guessing there will be two big changes: park-specific blockout calendars and a new budget pass option to replace the So Cal passes. I'm thinking something like this:

-Basic Pass (not official name): No park hopping, blockout from both parks all Saturdays, holiday weekends, and school breaks (winter/spring/summer), blockout from Disneyland on Sundays, approximately $400
-Deluxe Pass: Similar blockout calendar to current for both parks, additional blockout from Disneyland on all Saturdays and school breaks, approximately $800
-Signature Pass: No changes, but price increased to $1,200. Instead of having a Signature Plus option, Signature will allow for the purchase of blockout day tickets for $50 per day.

In addition, I suspect AP parking may be completely discontinued from all but the Signature pass.

June 1, 2018, 6:03 PM

Robert & AJ,

Are there any rumored hints that you might have overheard?

If someone was planning on getting a new AP this month, when would you suggest getting it?

June 1, 2018, 7:12 PM

There is a rumor going around that the changes are coming tomorrow, Saturday.

If you are the paranoid type or you just want to be safe, you might want to purchase tonight.

June 1, 2018, 9:50 PM

Jay, I haven't heard anything definite, but I'd say the sooner the better. I'm pretty confident new changes (whatever they may be) will be rolled out at some point in June.

June 2, 2018, 1:58 AM

Buying tonight won't make any difference.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive