Marvel Super Heroes at Disney California Adventure?

Edited: June 4, 2018, 11:37 AM

When Disney announced back in March that a Marvel area was coming to Disneyland, it was very exciting! It will be a huge addition to California Adventure. The area will feature attractions based on the Avengers, and Spider-Man. I’m curious, what do you think the rides will be like?

Marvel Land is supposed to open in 2020. Will the entire area be completed by then? Will Disney consider bringing the “Iron Man Experience” attraction from Hong King Disneyland? What does everyone think the Marvel section of the park will look like? What would you like to see at Marvel Land?

Replies (7)

June 4, 2018, 5:04 AM

I have no idea what it will be like, although I have a feeling it will open with just one attraction with another to be added later in the carpark/office area behind Guardians. I think they'll go with a New York theme.

I'd really like to see a great dark ride in the vein of Harry Potter forbidden journey. What would be awesome would be a SHIELD a Heli carrier above the area with an avengers ride going both in and outside.

Down the track a really well themed coaster would be great, maybe themed to Spiderman and also incorporating the New York skyline.

June 4, 2018, 10:20 AM

An attraction where you can put on the Infinity Gauntlet, snap your fingers, and make half the crowds disappear.

June 4, 2018, 11:36 AM

Disneyland calls that "park specific AP blockout calendars."

June 5, 2018, 1:35 AM

As I've said before, more details will be revealed in time (probably at D23 2019). However, given the timeline of recent Disney projects, I suspect the area will open in 2020 with just a smaller attraction inside of the Tough to be a Bug theater (as well as a cityscape where Bug's Land currently stands), and then the big E-Ticket attraction (rumored to be some sort of coaster/dark ride hybrid) will come a year or two later. No, I don't think Iron Man Experience will be brought over, especially since it's looking like Robert Downey Jr. will be leaving the MCU after Avengers 4, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the attractions is some sort of simulator.

June 5, 2018, 11:56 AM

AJ, what type of attraction would you see inside the Tough to be a Bug theatre? A 4-D ride dedicated to the Avengers? As far as a city scape, do you think it will be New York? Or, a city dedicated to California? What type of attraction do you foresee as the big E-ticket ride?

June 7, 2018, 3:13 PM

Timbo23, I have no idea what they might end up doing in there. I'd like to see a full-fledged dark ride of some sort, but the building might not be big enough and it could be just a simulator. The big E-Ticket is supposed to be a coaster/dark ride hybrid of some sort, which could mean anything from Escape from Gringotts (mostly dark ride with a couple short coaster sections) to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster (a highly themed indoor coaster, but still pure coaster). Personally, I'm hoping for something comparable to Florida's Revenge of the Mummy with a mix of coaster and dark ride segments, but it could really be anything. As for the city, if they have any intention of sticking with California it will probably be Los Angeles-ish. Otherwise, New York makes the most sense given its prominence in the MCU.

I don't know how much of what I've previously heard about will be preserved for the new version of Marvel Land, as the plans were essentially sent back to the drawing board when the Eastern Gateway ran into trouble. All I can say with confidence is that there will very likely be three main attractions (with Guardians serving as the land's second E-ticket) and that everything should be ready by 2022. It remains to be seen whether Disney will celebrate the 20th anniversary of DCA or the 10th anniversary of the new DCA, but Marvel Land is intended to be the big addition to the park for that event. I anticipate more about the project will be revealed at D23 next year, but don't foresee much more being released prior to then in order to avoid potential accidental spoilers for Avengers 4.

June 9, 2018, 5:59 PM

I’m looking forward to it being completed! I hope it will be worth the wait?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive