Universal Creative referrals (or WDI)

June 9, 2018, 8:20 PM

Hello,

I don’t post on here as much as I used to. I was looking for help with networking for my career. I was wondering does anyone know someone within the industry that works for UC that is willing to network with me? I have experience with graphic design, Coordinating, etc. I’m an internal team member at Universal if that helps as well. If anyone knows anybody in Imagineering that would be much appreciated as well. I’m looking to start my career. I can provide my resume, etc. if needed. Thanks in advance!!

Replies (10)

June 10, 2018, 3:11 PM

Why limit yourself? If I were you my goal would be to attend IAAPA -- network and research the industry and explore ALL of the options in the field. Just sayin'.

June 10, 2018, 7:58 PM

I’m open to other companies as well. ITec, Dynamic, etc. I mentioned Creative because of me already being a UO TM. I’m most definitely interested in whoever gives me the chance lol.

June 11, 2018, 10:31 AM

UniversalOrlandoJobs.com is posting positions right now for Universal Creative. Select "category" and scroll down to Universal Creative to see positions. Most of them are in Florida and a few transition to China.

Almost everyone I know actually in UC is going to tell you to just apply and keep applying.

June 11, 2018, 10:50 AM

Second the suggestion to come to IAAPA. Also look into joining the TEA and going to its networking events. But, yeah, applying through the front door of the website is a must, too.

June 11, 2018, 5:18 PM

I got a few jobs from networking, but not always possible. Best to flood the market by applying to as many jobs you qualify for.

June 12, 2018, 8:23 PM

I'm another one who is going to tell you to apply. It doesn't matter if you know someone or not in UC or WDI, you need to start by formally applying. Find the best match or matches and put your name in.

Edited: June 13, 2018, 3:55 PM

FWIW, I worked in HR at a Fortune 500 company for years. Companies have auto filters scanning resumes and application responses. Unless you have every single buzz word possible (and omit the ones that immediately flag you as "trying too hard"), your resume is never going to be seen by human eyes. Also keep in mind positions at major media organizations like Disney and Universal receive hundreds (conservatively) of resumes for every single position that comes in. Your best bet is networking, hands-down. Speaking from experience, virtually every hiring manager already has someone internal in mind when their HR rep reminds them they legally must post the position publicly for 5 days before making a hire.

June 13, 2018, 5:19 PM

Clayton, I think you are over generalizing when you speak for virtually every hiring manager. Perhaps where you worked you had an internal policy to post positions publicly. Most companies are not required nor do they force their hiring managers to post externally especially if there are qualified internal candidates. Giving career paths and promotion opportunities for internal employees usually outweighs bringing in someone new who is not familiar with company policies and cultures. With that said, if the position is posted externally, it's fair to say that they are accepting applications and would consider you if you were qualified.

There's nothing wrong with networking, but you won't get hired if you don't apply for a position. You will never get a job at UC or WDI because you know someone without formally applying. So if you see a good match (whether you know someone or not), apply online for the position.

June 13, 2018, 7:23 PM

Of course they rather hire from a referral or internally. I hire many for tasks around the house, but I also use online directories or Yelp. So if a company posts a job requisition, it means they don’t have someone in mind. It takes a lot if effort to tailor your resume to the job description. Because of the time consumption, I might apply for 2 or 3 jobs per day. Over time, that’s a lot of resumes. Any interest is a win. A job interview means they like you at least on paper. Practice interview skills. You’ll get better at it. Statistically, you will get a job. You will even get married according to the odds.

June 16, 2018, 1:15 AM

Thanks everyone. I have applications in and also have tried networking.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive