What are the most uncomfortable coaster seats out there?

Edited: June 22, 2018, 3:53 PM

Inspired (such as one can be) by my rides on the Incredicoaster this week, I thought I would ask the TPI community to nominate their picks for the Roller Coaster Seat Hall of Shame.

My nomination is for Incredicoaster, aka California Screamin'. With hard, flat, uncontoured seats in a deep well and bulky over-the-shoulder restraints that can pinch your fingers should you foolishly put your hand on the seat in front you to pull yourself up out of that well at the end of the ride, these circa-2000 Intamin seats are the worst thing on what otherwise could be a top-notch intermediate coaster.

What other coaster seats deserve a spot in the Hall of Shame?

Replies (17)

June 22, 2018, 4:14 PM

I am adverse to any stand up coaster. A true nut busting experience. I also hear ThighCrush...I mean Skyrush has pretty bad seats.

June 22, 2018, 4:25 PM

Delicate Disney fans call people of my proportions "Pooh" size. I'm a bit more blunt about it - I'm fat. As a result, I don't fit on lots of rides anymore, which is disappointing, but that's a different story.
As I am able to ride The Incredicoaster I'm OK with a little discomfort.
It's all the other rides I can't go on that I have issues with, but I also understand that designers have to build seats that can safely accommodate the majority of riders.

June 22, 2018, 4:47 PM

Hands down the Matterhorn at Disneyland. There is no cushion and anyone who is taller than 5' nothing is squished. Since the refurb they are even smaller!

June 22, 2018, 5:59 PM

Maybe not quite relevant, but the seats on the Shamu Express were by far the worst for me. I used to cringe every time my friends granddaughter wanted to go on it. Thank goodness I don’t have to go thru that torture ever again ... :)
As for an ‘adult’ ride ... anything that has those old hard plastic seats from yonder year. Magnum at CP springs to mind.

June 22, 2018, 7:59 PM

Gotta go with the Matterhorn on this one.....

June 22, 2018, 10:46 PM

The trains on Incredicoaster certainly aren't the most comfortable, but I'd hardly call them the worst (in fact, I'd say Goofy's Sky School at the same park is less comfortable). In general, most of the old Arrow coasters are not particularly good, with the loopers (such as SFMM's Viper) being the least comfortable among the bunch IMO. For more modern trains, I'd probably say Skyrush is the worst I've experienced (particularly in the wing seats).

June 23, 2018, 5:02 PM

Flight School Legoland Florida, headbanging painful. And Space Mountain MK, terrible coaster and horrible seats.

June 24, 2018, 8:38 PM

I second Flight School ... never again will I ride that stupid little thing.

Edited: June 24, 2018, 11:47 PM

Oh, now, the big two (Disney and Universal) have nothing on uncomfortable seats, and the Incredicoaster (unless they changed it drastically) is not bad. I am tall and not petite, but not fat, so any coaster at a Six Flags with a hard shoulder restraint can be painful (like Batman). But there are coasters out there like the Cyclone and Giant Dipper that are so uncomfortable they are comical. Also, I swear they made the Poltergeist at Fiesta Texas smaller. I actually love classic wooden coasters for the lack of comfort. It is kind of a thrill to get scrambled sitting in the very last row. The tubular steel coasters like the Matterhorn have nothing on them.

June 25, 2018, 10:28 AM

Not a fan of SeaWorld's Manta. The way you have to hold your head up.

Edited: June 25, 2018, 10:43 AM

I've never been a fan of the Vekoma Flying Dutchman (Batwing, Firehawk, and Nighthawk) seats that lay riders back before going up the lift. The position places riders' hearts above their head, which can be uncomfortable if you have to wait in the pre-station block before unloading, or have to wait in the lay-down position for any length of time before going up the lift.

I also really dislike Intamin t-bar coaster seats (Dragster, Millennium Force, Superman Ride of Steel, etc...). Not only do they discriminate against anyone with a larger waistline and/or thighs (I've never had a problem fitting, but my wife does, and I've seen more "walks of shame" on those than any other coaster), but if you are in the first row of a car, you have to watch your knees or they'll get bruised on the restraint bar mechanism housing.

I'd say Pony Express does not have the most comfortable seats, because most guests are not used to riding a roller coaster in that position.

June 25, 2018, 11:46 AM

At Disneyland Resort. 1st: Goofy sky school. 2nd Matterhorn. Then maybe Incredicoaster.

July 14, 2018, 10:45 PM

The Zamperla Volare. I haven't ridden one since the first time I rode one over 10 years ago...for good reason.

July 15, 2018, 7:29 AM

Rougaru at Cedar Point. When it was Mantis, a stand-up coaster, it really wasn't too bad as long as you learned how to get the seats locked in place correctly to allow enough room for...you know. But in 2015 when they converted this B&M into Rougaru, a floorless coaster (and as far as I'm concerned a pointless coaster also) without any change in the track itself, it became nearly unrideable. The over-the-shoulder restrains bang your head around so much that it's just plain painful to my ears. Lots complain about having headaches after riding it. This is one coaster that I wish Cedar Point would remove, or at least rethink the restraints.

July 17, 2018, 1:05 PM

LOL... ever rode Iron Wolf? It's a crotch buster....

July 17, 2018, 3:54 PM

Actually, I realize that I should have done better to clarify that I meant seats that are uncomfortable even when you are sitting in them in the station, as opposed to ones that get uncomfortable when you're riding out on the track.

In the second case, that's on the track as well as the train and the seats. But really bad seats are bad even when standing still.

August 20, 2018, 7:22 AM

Skyrush at Hershey Park is the worst. I think it has the distinction of being my worst coaster experience to date. Two of the attendants jumped on the restraints to get them tight. I was in terrible pain before I even left the station. I spend the whole ride wishing for the end to come fast! The restraints hit right across your thighs and the pain is unbearable, especially when you hit zero g bunny hills. I will never ride it again.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive