Disney or Universal Annual pass?

August 7, 2018, 2:02 PM

I am a Universal Orlando pass-holder at the moment because I go to college in Orlando and it has come to my attention that Universal is starting to get repetitive and boring. (mostly because I live 30 mins away and go quite often) It just seems to be the same stuff now every time I go ex: Going to the Wizarding world of harry potter and the same rides over and over again. When I first started going I could easily spread my time out and do one park for most of the day but now it seems i'm going to both parks in about 6 hours total and it just doesn't seem to do it for me anymore as much as when I first started going.

I have had the pleasure of being a Florida resident so I recently just used up my 3 day discover Disney ticket and I must say I enjoyed myself a lot. I just went to Animal Kingdom and was there for 16 hours and did not get bored. The way my schedule goes as far as school I was looking at the Disney weekday pass which is about $300 with tax and I was wondering if that was a better option, mostly because the WDW resort is much larger than UO and there are 4 parks instead of 2. The Only downside with that pass is that it is weekdays only, and my Universal pass that I currently have is the preferred pass which was around $375 and has no blackout dates for the whole year.

Does anyone know if it would be worth getting the weekday pass and being able to go to all 4 parks with free parking would be a better deal for $300? or should I renew my universal pass this upcoming fall? also, do you guys think that if I switched my pass I would start to get sick of Disney like I am of universal? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies (6)

Edited: August 7, 2018, 2:23 PM

"Real" Disney pass holders are a breed apart. My friend, her 4 kids and 6 grand kids are all fanatical Disney lovers, and are a million miles away from where I am as a Sea World pass member. If they could live there they would. One of them only has a silver pass, and it's nearly killed her not being able to go, but with 3 youngsters it's a hefty price to pay for 5 gold passes. I don't see the attraction to be honest, but hey it's what they do, so kudos to them. As an Orlando resident, I've had Disney passes and after a couple of years given them up, preferring my resident 4 day pass every couple of years. Universal, I could go maybe 2 or 3 times a year, and that would be it. I go to Sea World a lot because it's where I do my exercise. It's a wonderful park to be able to walk round. I couldn't see me hiking round Disney or Universal for the same reason. Unless you fall into the "I can't live without Disney" brigade then my guess is you'll be in the same situation with Disney as you are with Universal at the moment.
Be like a few of us on here ... get a Cedar Fair or Six flags season pass, and do some traveling. You will have an awesome experience, and the time spent away from those parks makes it even better when you revisit.

August 7, 2018, 2:42 PM

Why do you feel like you have to choose? You already decided you're done with Universal, which is reasonable since you done it all. So give Universal an one year break and give Disney a try. Then get the Universal annual pass in another year. Yes, you will get sick of Disney just like Universal, but Disney has so much more do see and do so it'll take a bit longer to reach this point.

August 8, 2018, 10:10 AM

Sound like you are trying to convince yourself? By all means, if you have been to Universal for years, it might be time for a change.

But to me this sounds like a Disney fan trying to downgrade Universal, I could be wrong but probably not.

If you want to buy Disney Annual pass go for it, I am sure you won’t get tired and child meltdowns, huge crowds, long lines for old out dated non-exciting attractions, then I say - Go for It!

August 8, 2018, 5:46 PM

Honestly, I don’t think you should be so worried about which option is the better deal if you are as burned out on Universal as you say you are. The main question you should ask yourself is whether or not you will go to WDW enough to justify the cost. I would assume the answer is yes, given how much you were going to Universal. Just as everyone else has said, you’ll probably get sick of Disney too, but it should take longer.

August 9, 2018, 4:27 PM

We've had a couple of big discussions on APs: How to use the annual pass trick to save money on an Orlando vacation and Should I buy an annual pass to Disney, Universal, Six Flags, etc.?

The second one is a couple of years old, in case anyone wants to jump in with a newer analysis.

August 9, 2018, 5:59 PM

Deltaboy1 - Here's a sideways perspective.
You say you are in Orlando going to college. You don't indicate how tight you are scheduled, but have you considered getting a part-time job at one or the other?
When you do, that eliminates the need to make a decision. Of course - working may cut into your time to go to the parks, but based on your career path, you may find you've started on the ground floor with a company that offers jobs in a staggering array of career opportunities.
Both UO and WDW are essentially cities and every kind of job you can imagine from Marine Biology to Engineering and General Management.
You will also find that both companies pride themselves in promotion from within.
Again - it's a balancing act. Your studies should take up the majority of your time, but depending on what you are working towards, getting a job - even if it's only something short term - will provide you with admission at that company's parks AND you will gain a lot of practical experience. Plus - it's a load of fun.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive