Apocalypse at Six Flags America Closes September 8, 2018

Edited: August 16, 2018, 2:45 PM

After posting numerous teasers online and throughout the park over the past few weeks, Six Flags America, located near Washington, DC, officially announced that Apocalypse: The Last Stand will be closing forever on September 8, 2018. The B&M Stand up coaster debuted at Six Flags America in 2012, after being relocated from Six Flags Great America. At the Chicago-area park, the coaster was known as Iron Wolf, and was the very first B&M roller coaster in the world when it opened in 1990.

The coaster features a 100-foot lift hill, 2 inversions (loop and corkscrew), and a top speed of 55 MPH, not to mention those immensely comfortable bicycle seats, headache inducing over the shoulder restraints, and glacially-slow loading process. Six Flags did not announce whether the coaster would be torn down or given the "Rougaroo" treatment, where the stand-up trains are replaced with sit-down floorless trains. I would expect Six Flags to reveal those details during their annual chain-wide "New for 2019" announcement at the end of the month.

So, if you want to get one last ride the oldest B&M roller coaster on the planet, make sure you get to SFA by September 8th.

Replies (4)

August 16, 2018, 2:52 PM

So our National Roller Coaster Day new coaster announcement count now stands at... -1.

August 31, 2018, 8:31 AM

Six Flags Great America is my hometown park. Goliath was put in its place, but it is sad to see that it is leaving :-(

August 31, 2018, 8:38 AM

It's not leaving, just getting new trains to alter the experience from a stand-up one to a seated one. None of the track is being replaced, and there will only be a few minor modifications made to the station to accommodate the loading of the floorless trains.

Edited: August 31, 2018, 11:32 AM

Ahh, this might help with the most common complaint I heard around its Iron Wolf days: "It really hurt my neck/head". The Great America park goers would love to hear this!!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive