Help me with my major in University.

September 2, 2018, 10:34 AM

Hi, I am a high school student who wants to be a theme park designer. I live in South Korea and I will apply to college soon. Please listen to my story and tell me your opinion.
I'm going to choose my major in English literature. Why not design? Because I have not learned art yet and I think I should learn English first to become a designer in a foreign country. The problem is, I have to write an cover letter about why I should learn English before design. If I tell them the truth, the university won't choose me. I mean, that means I think of college as a medium process! What should I write on my cover letter?

Replies (5)

September 2, 2018, 10:41 AM

Major in design. Express an interest in developing attractions, retail outlets and restaurants. You can learn English literature as a minor n your own time. There are plenty of online courses in literature and art appreciation.

September 2, 2018, 1:23 PM

Theme park design today is all about storytelling in a three dimensional immersive medium. An English major allows you to study the form and function of story, while ultimately developing your own storytelling skills, providing you the foundation for continued work in design and whatever other specific skills you will use as a themed entertainment storyteller.

September 2, 2018, 5:26 PM

I think it's important - no matter what career you've got your heart set on - to pick a major you will actually enjoy studying. I know too many people who dropped out of courses because their heart simply wasn't in it - which is a real waste of time and money.

For what it's worth - I also had my sights on "theme park designer" when I was picking subjects, but frankly neither enjoyed the actual process of "designing" nor was I very good at it. Some good advice from people connected to the industry (included both of my esteemed colleagues above) broadened my perspective, setting me on a different path - studying Film Production, then ending up working in theatre. I get from those industries much of what I love above theme parks and, if I'm honest, I'm probably way better at my job than I would have been attempting what I thought I "should" be doing.

I suppose my point is - follow the things you love studying and doing. The theme park industry (like most) is way too competitive to survive in otherwise. And you never know what other surprise avenues you'll find along the way.

Edited: September 3, 2018, 2:52 PM

Yeah, there is an abundance of places to study "form" and "story" available at no cost on the internet. Further, if you are at the entry level of theme park development you are in a sea of IP where the structure and nuance of the particular "story" is established and well-known by your audience. Learn the math. Learn design and construction. And by the way, learning design gives you the opportunity to learn new technology as well.

September 4, 2018, 6:16 PM

Here's my story, and what I also suggested to my son (whose doing great in his career).
It makes little difference what you choose, because later in life you'll know if it was the right decision. A degree is a 'starting point' - not the end result.
Whatever you choose, base 90% of your choice on what would excite you to get out of bed in the morning and go to work. As another reply suggested, why do something you don't [or may not] like 15-20 years from now. You already have the answer to your question, and I wish you the best of Happy Years ahead in a fun and exciting career. [Retired Program Manager supervisor].

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive