Wi-Fi in the parks

January 12, 2019, 10:28 PM

My family is planning a trip to Orlando for 10 days beginning with Good Friday. I was wondering if the parks, Disney and Universal, have wi-fi and how good it is. We had checked with a couple of tele-comm companies about setting up an old Samsung S6 as a mobile hot spot and both told us to try to set up with a US cell provider.

I was wondering if anyone has done that while traveling to a foreign country. If this is possible would a person need a US mailing address?

Replies (4)

January 13, 2019, 8:40 PM

I've had good experience with the WiFi at Disney World and Universal Orlando, but I wouldn't rely on it for anything essential. I always rent a mobile hotspot when traveling abroad, but since I am from the US, I don't know what would be the best hotspot rental for someone coming here.

January 15, 2019, 9:22 AM

What do you need in-park WiFi for? Do you need to be 100% available for phone calls and texts, or do you just need it for general surfing the internet/streaming and checking park apps? I think the in-park systems are more than reliable for using apps and even some limited streaming. However, I would never bet my life (regardless who is providing it) on the capabilities of someone else's WifI signal.

When we last traveled abroad, we "rented" a European sim-card that we used to connect to the foreign networks. If you have a mobile device capable of tethering, then this is the route I would go if you absolutely need 100% reliability and connectivity.

January 16, 2019, 11:46 AM

The main reason, that I know of, is that my wife wants to have the texting capability so she can remind our kids of meet up places and times if they wander off on their own. She also wants the kennel to be able to get a hold of us easily if anything happens to her furry baby and we need to give our vet credit card information in case of emergency.

January 16, 2019, 12:35 PM

Wi-Fi is pretty good in most parks, but I rarely use it because so many people are logged into the park system. It can run slow .... which is something I don't need when I'm looking for FP+'s at WDW !!

When I go back to the UK, I have my little EE phone and use that all the time. Over here, Metro PCS, Cricket and other providers may be worth a look at as they usually provide a free phone, and you just pay for minutes and/or data as you go.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive