Disney World... In Brazil?

February 5, 2019, 3:16 PM

So, apparently Brazil's government reserved an area of ​​800 hectares in Sobradinho for a possible Disney park.

Sobradinho is a small city in the Federal District, next to Brasilia. The park is apparently not a sure thing yet, but the land is already reserved for it.

https://www.correiobraziliense.com.br/app/noticia/cidades/2019/02/05/interna_cidadesdf,735480/governo-reserva-area-em-sobradinho-para-parque-da-disney-em-brasilia.shtml

Thoughts? It's not the first time Disney plans regarding Brazil appear, only to fall through and be forgotten.

Replies (12)

February 5, 2019, 3:56 PM

Brazil's economy is so terrible right now, I doubt any major entertainment company would take such a risk. Sadly, the Olympics left the country as bad, if not worse off, than Greece was following their last foray into hosting, which led to an economic disaster that almost took down the EU. The last thing Brazil should be working on right now is giving hand outs to Disney to build a theme park.

February 5, 2019, 4:38 PM

No way.

February 5, 2019, 6:22 PM

I also don’t think it’s gonna happen, but I’m sure that the government will do all it can for Disney to move there, even if they know how problematic that is.

Edited: February 5, 2019, 9:07 PM

Lots of governments all over the world, over many decades, have "done all they can" to get Disney to build a park. Really the only one that was successful was Japan and that's just because they offered to pay for the whole thing and at the time Disney was really desperate for money.

Six Flags would be all over this Brazil deal lol. And then when the developers go broke either before or during construction it will be a huge waste of time.

February 5, 2019, 11:37 PM

Dropping the Disney name is SOP for a real estate pump and dump.

Edited: February 6, 2019, 1:28 PM

While I agree with everyone else that this is probably nothing, it is an interesting location. A big city with the highest per capita gdp in Latin America in a theme park crazy continent that otherwise lacks international brand parks. There is also relatively more potential land there than the bigger, older cities on the coast. If I had to predict a South American city to eventually get a major park one day, this could be it. But as the-man says, it has a six flags feel, if anything.

February 8, 2019, 3:00 PM

I spent a couple weeks in Brasilia back in 06, and it was a great area. I could totally see adding a Disney park there. But, to everyone's point, it's simply not economically viable at this point. The income gap is insane, with virtually no middle class, which is Disney's bread and butter demographic. I'd hate to see a park developed for Americans who want to go to a new park, rather than a park accessible to locals.

February 9, 2019, 8:15 AM

I would like to amend my previous post. Instead of contending "no way", I am going to change my opinion to "not a chance in hell." Thank you for your time.

February 14, 2019, 12:42 PM

Not happening, possibly ever

February 15, 2019, 8:06 AM

As a passholder to WDW, I think the locals could only dream of the chanting fading.

February 23, 2019, 11:55 AM

Again, after some quiet reflection and pensive moments, I would like to amend my previous statement and say, "not in a million jillion years." Thank you for your time.

February 23, 2019, 8:57 PM

I think after the Euro Disney failure, Disney took a long and hard think about international expansion.

China made sense, as it has a huge domestic population, increasing personal incomes, and you have to go through a lot of hurdles to get out that we don't typically have in Western countries.

(I was fortunate once to meet a coach for the Scottish Gymnastics team, a Chinese man who had an "exit visa", only to find government regulations changed between it being issued and his departure... he was only able to depart thanks to a few personal connections he had).

Brazil I just can't see it making the same sense. Its not a difficult country to leave, as far as I'm aware. A more likely outcome I'd think is a pan-Caribbean low cost carrier who can make getting to Florida even cheaper.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive