What should I major if I want to be a theme park designer?

February 15, 2019, 9:23 PM

What should I major in college?
If you work in amusement parks, please give me some advice and tell me about your experience !!!
I’m very interested in designing amusement parks, but I cannot decide what to major . Should I major in hospitality, theatre, film making or interior design ?

If you have any advice for me or if you know what kind of courses I should take, please reply.

Replies (4)

February 16, 2019, 1:44 PM

Themed entertainment design companies hire such a wide and diverse range of creators that you could major in just about anything and still find your way onto a project.

The key is to get experience working, no matter what you study. Disney's Imaginations competition also provides a nice way in, if you can put together or get on a team at your college. If you can tell stories with media, you can do this. (Heck, the best way to start for kids is to build a haunted house in your garage at Halloween!)

Ultimately, this is stagecraft, but anything having to do with visual or cinematic arts, musical composition, creative writing, design, engineering, architecture, project management, and urban planning has pretty direct applications to themed entertainment design. Just choose and pursue the aspect of theme park design that most interests you.

Edited: February 16, 2019, 5:36 PM

If you want to design, then your major I think should be in something related to design or construction. Engineering would be key.

That's not to say that the other options wouldn't give you a career in theme parks, daily operation lives and dies on people who know hospitality, the operation of shows requires theatre experience, etc.

But if Design is where you want to be, you need that sort of background.

Edited: February 16, 2019, 6:52 PM

Construction management (said the guy who has been in theme park construction for 20 years).

February 18, 2019, 11:17 PM

Thank you so much for your detailed replies!
After reading your messages and thought about them for a while, I've come to conclusion that what really matters is not what I study or major, but what I do while I'm in college.

Hope we could work together someday!!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive