Maybe Paramount London Resort isn't dead after all.

Edited: April 29, 2019, 5:40 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/apr/29/ready-for-the-corrie-coaster-itv-signs-up-to-uks-disneyland

>>>ITV Studios makes a range of hit shows – from Love Island to Coronation Street – but the focus of the deal is understood to be the Thunderbirds Are Go series, which returned to TV in 2015.

>>>Due to open in 2024, the London Resort will feature two parks set over 215 hectares (535 acres), plus 3,500 hotel rooms. Fifty rides and attractions based on popular film and TV shows are planned for the parks, which it is hoped could attract 50,000 visitors a day.

>>>The latest deal could mean characters and scenes from ITV shows such as Coronation Street, This Morning, Saturday Night Takeaway and I’m a Celebrity make an appearance.

Coronation Street for those of you playing at home is the world's longest running soap opera. It has been part of a theme park before (The long defunct and recently demolished Granada Studios Tour).

With Aardman Animation (Who have a Wallace and Grommit Ride at Blackpool) and BBC (who's kids properties are in use at Merlin's Alton Towers) as the other headline IP, I think its fairly safe to say this project is in trouble as an international destination.

Although ITV studios does some reality fare in the US (EG - All of those shows with Gordon Ramsay on it, Gameshow Marathon, and they own most of the company that makes Pawn Stars) I just can't see anything in their stable thats likely to attract a non brit, especially when in a city that's full of other, more compelling attractions already

(Including what is arguably the world's oldest theme park - The Tower of London).

Replies (5)

April 29, 2019, 10:46 PM

I saw this this morning, and while it's nice to have some more IP in the park, this resort's problem continues to be the numbers - can it entice enough visitors to justify the investment? And I don't see most of these ITV franchises bringing much international appeal to the table.

Edited: May 2, 2019, 1:54 AM

HAHA ...
Never ending fake project story ...
Because, to start with, there is no capital and there has never been.
I made an investigation on the scam-like (void) capital constructs many years ago.
Apart from the non existence of capital, there also is no theme park background of anyone who ever has been involved with it. (Except for a rough visual master plan, by the design firm... << Have they EVER been paid "fully" for their promotional basic design work ? ... I doubt it.. I never found the budget transfer figures.
The ONE budget, used that's tracable, is the legal brownsite environmental survey cost. But, after all, most probably that was a budget from the LAFARGE (cement industry) company, not the fake new investors.
All that happened was giant fooling of local government bodies, and pushing everything though the classic newspapers (News = profit).
I've never ever met any journalist who wanted to dig it out. Not even after I sent my personal findings to one of the newspapers... Silence.

Cheers !

-----

Ref, the Guardian.
>
Copy-paste :
"...Billions have been invested in the London Resort, which is expected to open in 2024, with construction due to start in 2021. It will be the size of 136 Wembley stadiums and aims to attract 50,000 visitors a day and offer 3,500 hotel rooms. The south-east of England location was chosen to position the park as a rival to Disneyland Paris. ..."
What a lie !
I'dd like to nail down mr. Mark Sweney :
Where is that money ? From which account to what other account ?
"...have been..." ? As if there is anything else then the untouched brownfield.
How long are "journalists" (???) going to play the Trump-styled-repeat-lie game ?
Miserable...

May 1, 2019, 7:20 AM

And now the Guardian is reporting that Aardman is out, their deal not being renewed.

So I think the only IP left for the park with international appeal is BBC’s content. If we presume that merlin have an exclusive on kids content that leaves Doctor Who, Sherlock and Top Gear as the only IP that I think could attract an international visitor reliably... and Top Gear has been fading since Clarkson and co left/were fired.

May 18, 2019, 12:45 AM

50,000 visitors a day??

These developers are like the San Francisco people in South Park, they love to smell their own farts. Apparently this park is going to get more visitors than Disneyland!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive