Jurassic World and the Absent Opening Date

July 2, 2019, 1:42 PM

The calendar has flipped to July, and Summer is now halfway over. USH is still advertising Jurassic World's opening as "this Summer," yet no actual date has been announced. Are they taking a note from the delayed opening of HMCMA (heck, call it like it is - a failure caused by a far too aggressive opening timeline)? It seems odd to keep advertising a Summer opening when, odds are, it won't be open this Summer. Thoughts? Am I missing something?

Replies (13)

Edited: July 2, 2019, 3:24 PM

September 19th would still be "summer", so they still have plenty of wiggle room. Though I agree that they're definitely pushing the envelope of what most guests would consider a summer opening (by July 4th).

I'm not sure what is taking so long since this was just a re-skinning/re-imagining of an existing ride system that should not require extensive testing. I'm beginning to wonder if it will be open by the time we're in LA later this month (planning to visit USH on July 25th).

July 2, 2019, 3:38 PM

The first suspect for the culprit would seem to be the biggest change they made to the ride - the now-interior section with the screen "aquarium" for the Mosasaurus. Whole bunches of issues they could be having there. Execs are riding, so it's likely not a ride system issue, but more likely a show quality one.

July 2, 2019, 10:52 PM

I think Robert is right on it. From what I've heard, the ride has been ready to open for a couple weeks, but they're still tweaking things to maximize the quality of the attraction. I do think that the openings of Star Wars and Hagrid's have shown USH that opening the ride before it is truly ready is not a good idea, so they're taking their time to ensure everything is working perfectly before letting guests on.

I will say that this has been an incredibly weird year for new ride openings across the board. I just got back from my big summer trip for the year and missed every single new for 2019 attraction on the itinerary.

July 3, 2019, 1:00 PM

Ah, I missed the fact the execs were riding it. Let's hope for an amazing new experience!

July 5, 2019, 1:03 AM

Just to update on this, Jurassic World opened for technical rehearsals today. From what I've seen, the ride looks very good. I'd expect an official opening within the next week or two, since I highly doubt there are many problems with this one.

July 8, 2019, 2:33 PM

I laughed when I saw that. Apparently I just got a bit too antsy! :-P

July 8, 2019, 5:32 PM

We shall now rely on Clayton to notify us of all future impending attraction openings with a "hey, why haven't they opened this yet?" post.

July 9, 2019, 9:18 AM

Haha! yeah, I deserve that.

July 9, 2019, 9:19 AM

Anyone wondering why Rise of the Resistance hasn't opened yet? No one is talking about it.

Wait...

:-P

July 9, 2019, 10:11 AM

Don't get my hopes up Clayton. I just want to build my $200 lightsaber, drink overpriced beer, fly the Falcon, and hold off facing off against the First Order until we visit WDW early next year.

July 9, 2019, 2:27 PM

I'll be at DLR Nov 6-10, so I'm really hoping it makes an appearance. Otherwise, I'll have to settle for fawning over DJ Rex for 45 minutes while I spend $40 on rail drinks. :-P

July 12, 2019, 9:38 AM

I mean, I commented on it, and they announced the opening dates. Coincidence? Yes.

July 18, 2019, 8:35 AM

I just got to ride this during the soft open last Friday. It was open only in the morning to mid afternoon. Fun attraction, though I do wish they had raptors attacking you during the lift hill. I guess raptors are good guys now though?

The queue is nice. It's outdoor but the videos they have playing were long enough to just barley loop before we made it onto the attraction.

Definitely worth checking out if you haven't been to USH in a while.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive