What steel coaster had the most headbanging?

Edited: July 17, 2019, 7:21 AM

What defunct steel coaster had the most headbanging and most painful to your body and why?. How was the whole experience in detail?. What coaster was more headbanging and how it make you feel shockwave Six Flags Great America, viper six flags great adventure, and great American scream machine six at six flags great adventure? What element on a steel coaster is the most painful and why?.

Replies (12)

July 17, 2019, 7:58 AM

The POS in Vegas at the NY resort.

July 17, 2019, 8:23 AM

Any Vekoma POS...I mean SLC.

July 17, 2019, 9:51 AM

Russell

What Vekoma slc coaster is the most painful and headbanging and why?

July 17, 2019, 10:15 AM

Any with those awful large plastic OTSR's ..... especially if I forget to take my sunglasses off !!!

I'm just at the height where my ears line up perfectly with the top of the restraints, and it's a pain .... literally.

Stand-ups are the worst.

Edited: July 17, 2019, 10:23 AM

The Vekoma SLCs are all equally terrible, and I've been on 6 of them (my son drags me on Mind Eraser at SFA more often than I'd care to admit here - he's still too short to ride Superman ROS, Batwing, Joker's Jinx, and Firebird, so Mind Eraser is his go-to when we're at the theme park closest to our house).

For the record, people frequently complained about Drachen Fire at BGW, but I loved that coaster, and didn't find it terribly rough compared to nearby Anaconda or other Arrow loopers I had experienced prior to it being removed. However, I don't know how it would compare based on today's standards, as there are very few remaining Arrows that can hold a candle near more modern B&M, Intamin, and RMCs.

Edited: July 17, 2019, 1:16 PM

IMO the Zamperla Volare is unquestionably the worst steel coaster. The ride looks so innocent but the excruciating amount of pain it inflicts on its subjects is impossible to express with words. I don't even remember if there's any headbanging...all I remember from that experience is pain.

I've ridden Shockwave, GASM, and Viper many times each and never hated any of them. I always thought the second to last row were the best seats on those old Arrow loopers as you get the forces of being in the back with more legroom and without the giant headrest in your face, and for whatever reason it seemed like there was more headbanging the closer you got to the front. Granted I was a lot younger and haven't ridden them in years I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much today. There's no question the GP absolutely hated them though, at all 3 parks by mid afternoon they would pretty much always be walk ons no matter how busy the park was. I remember standing in the parking lot at SFGAm and every time a Shockwave train would go into the midcourse brakes you could hear everyone on the train all yelp in pain at the same time and hear cuss words.

Agreed on the SLC's, every single one of those are terrible coasters. I haven't ridden any with the new restraints but I have ridden several standard Boomerangs with the new trains and thought they were still bad. The suspended Boomerangs (the ones with the face off seats) are crap as well.
...though oddly enough I absolutely love the Giant Inverted Boomerangs. When working properly I think they are actually great rides (the one at SFNE with the new trains was closed last time I was there but i've heard the new train is rough sadly). The V shape trains are still relatively smooth though: i've ridden SFGAms, SFMMs, and the one in Spain and really liked all of them.

I'm going to break the crowd of public opinion and say Kumba as well. It's no doubt an iconic coaster and it used to be one of my favorite loopers but I can't ride it more than once a visit anymore and I only ride near the front now, the back is too rough. Just goes to show you that no matter how well built a ride is after 25 years or so without extensive work any intense coaster is going to fall to pieces. I wish they would just take Kumba down and rebuild it the exact same with new supports, track, and trains (but not like Hulk which has lighter trains that still bounce around a lot).

July 17, 2019, 1:40 PM

I hated RipRideRockit for its headbanging. That monstrosity needs to come down.

July 17, 2019, 3:09 PM

Seconded on RRR. Vekoma SLCs are trash in relatively low-budget parks. Universal can afford better.

July 17, 2019, 6:57 PM

I got some bad head banging on KD’s Dominator and CP’s Rougarou last year. While not head banging, I almost lost my pizza fries on Rip Ride Rockit during Horror Nights. It’s one of their most popular attractions so maybe they can rebuild it with another company.

July 17, 2019, 7:46 PM

If you're looking specifically for defunct coasters, I'd probably say Windjammer Surf Racers at Knott's Berry Farm. Despite its small size, that thing was super rough, so much so that sitting in a chair and whacking yourself with a couple ping-pong paddles for 90 seconds would likely be more enjoyable. The only thing that coaster had going for it was the uniqueness. Runner-up would be Looping Thunder, a Pinfari Zyklon Loop that used the operate at Oaks Park (granted, every Pinfari I've ever ridden has been a rough POS, so that was not surprising).

In general, I've found these models to be your best bet if you'd like a good ear-bashing...

-Arrow Loopers
-Vekoma Boomerangs, Corkscrews, & SLCs (except Great Nor'Easter...that one is actually decent)
-Zamperla Volares

In addition to the above, Dragon at Adventureland near Des Moines was brutal. I can't wait to write about that one later in my trip report.

July 19, 2019, 9:48 AM

Worst Headbanging Ever... Ninja at SFOG, well before Vekoma reprofiled it into Blue Hawk. They had a sign warning riders to remove earrings, but it should have simply said GO BACK! The experience was like being attacked by a ninja. I've not had a chance to ride since the new restraints and retracking have occurred.

Worst RIDE Ever... Nighthawk at Carowinds, which is a Vekoma Flying Dutchman. Worst Pain Ever! Just don't.

Edited: July 20, 2019, 11:40 PM

Zonga at SFMW/SFDK.

That ride was the most painful ride I have ever experienced. The ride was uncomfortable even going up the lift hill.

But then the roughness. You slammed and jolted in every direction except for the direction the track was leading. We left the park afterwards.

Psyclone at SFMM would be the runner up. Though that's a wood coaster. :)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive