Arendelle: World of Frozen at Disneyland?

Edited: November 24, 2019, 6:45 PM

With Frozen 2 out, and Arendelle: World of Frozen currently under construction at Disneyland Paris, Hong Kong Disneyland, and Tokyo Disney Sea...will the land ever be brought to California? I know Disneyland’s main focus is on Star Wars, and Marvel. But will they decide to duplicate the land, or at least make a mini-land dedicated to Frozen?

Replies (8)

November 23, 2019, 5:34 PM

As soon as Disney decides it wants to spend another billion bucks to clear out the subs and Autopia to build a Frozen land, yeah, Arendelle would slot in nicely right there.

November 23, 2019, 5:38 PM

Robert Niles, do you see that happening in the future?

November 23, 2019, 10:25 PM

I know that a Frozen attraction/mini-land has been discussed as a possible addition to Disneyland, likely as an expansion of Fantasyland into some of the area currently occupied by Autopia. I do not know when it will happen, or if it is still even under consideration. Much has changed with long term plans as a result of the Eastern Gateway cancellation and Galaxy's Edge underperforming, so it's difficult to say where anything stands that hasn't been announced by Disney yet. Avengers Campus and Rise of the Resistance open next year. Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway is coming in 2022. Anything else should be treated as speculation at this point in time.

Edited: November 24, 2019, 10:33 AM

Thank you AJ. I have two more questions for you:
1.) What type of expansion would take place in Fantasyland? What rides/attractions would be added?
2.) When will Avengers Campus likely open next year?

November 24, 2019, 6:45 PM

Avengers Campus will open in 2020 - we just don't know when yet. Based on construction progress, I would guess the back half of the year.

Everything with Fantasyland is speculation at this point. As AJ pointed out, Avengers and Runaway Railway are the priorities at this point. But given Frozen 2's performance, I can definitely see Disneyland wanting to pursue that.

November 24, 2019, 7:38 PM

Thank you Robert Niles. As far as the “back half of the year,” do you think it’ll be open by the end of August? Yes, I can see Disneyland pursuing Frozen as well.

Edited: November 24, 2019, 11:06 PM

Timbo, it seems you ask these types of questions every few months expecting new information, but the reality is future plans are always in flux and I might hear semi-reliable tips from friends a couple times a year. Everything else I know can be found on a lot of the Disney sites that regularly discuss news and rumors, so I suggest following those if you want more frequent updates. The only thing I know with any degree of confidence regarding Fantasyland is that an expansion has been discussed for Disneyland as a 70th anniversary project and that a Frozen E-ticket of some sort was a component of said expansion. However, like I said, everything not already in the construction phase as of this past summer got put on a development hold, so it's anyone's guess what is still under consideration. I can guarantee you that anything sizable that wasn't announced at this year's D23 it is at least four years away, so I encourage you to focus more on what is being built now and not what might come to fruition 5-10 years in the future.

Regarding Avengers Campus, I can say with confidence it will open sometime between January 1st, 2020 and December 31st, 2020. If I were to take an educated guess, I would say late summer/early fall (August/September) based on the current state of construction and crowd patterns at the resort, but I doubt even the project managers have any idea beyond which quarter they're aiming for at this point.

November 25, 2019, 9:43 AM

I really don't understand the obsessive probing here. Even if anyone had the very specific information that you're looking for, it's unlikely that they would reveal it in an open forum like this. What you're asking for are trade secrets and long term planning strategies that no sane company would ever allow to be released.

As AJ noted, if it hasn't already been announced, nothing else of significance is occurring in the next 3-5 years. The fact of the matter is that it takes time to design and build attractions. If something new were coming to Disneyland, we would see signs of that development at least 2-3 years ahead of time, and would likely hear whispers of planned attractions a few years ahead of that. As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day, and the same goes for Disney, even though they've been extremely aggressive with their project timelines of late. Avengers CAMPUS features a restaurant/brew-pub and a rumored d-ticket level attraction, yet will have taken over 2 years to complete when it debuts next year. In the grand scheme of things, that's a pretty brisk timeline, but we're still talking about something that was rumored years ago, and is still probably almost a year away from being reality. This is for a land that was a relatively simple lift by tearing out a theater-based attraction and some flat rides on top of the newer DCA infrastructure. Look how long a much more involved development like Disneyland's Galaxy's Edge took, or even a cloned attraction like Tron at WDW. When you start moving utilities and existing facilities, it significantly increases the project timeline. So, if you're doing anything more than reskinning an existing attraction (like what was done with Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout or Frozen Ever After), installing a new attraction on already developed land is going to take years. Unless you physically see construction occurring at the parks, you can be pretty sure nothing is coming for at least 2-3 years. You can't expect anything like Arendelle in California for at least 5+ years, assuming Disney can even find a place for it.

Enjoy what's at the parks now, and hope that Disney doesn't continue to raise prices so when new attractions open over the next decade, you'll be able to afford to ride them.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive