Designing a Dream Land at Disneyland?

Edited: August 10, 2020, 10:19 PM

With the pandemic, I know everything is on hold at Disney parks worldwide. I know Avengers Campus is being pushed back, as well as attractions at Disney World. But...if you could build a “dream land” dedicated to a specific Disney movie, show, etc. what would it be? What would the land look like? What type of attractions would it have? What type of dining?

Replies (28)

August 8, 2020, 1:33 PM

Does a prison for all the buffoons not wearing a mask and/or not staying six feet away work temporarily?

After that can close, I’d want it to go to a Hamilton land, with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse characters re-enacting a shorter version of the show and a Lin Manuel Miranda-narrated “studio tour” of the show’s creation, a thrilling dark ride without too many screens. Or maybe this is a mini-section in a music or musical-themed land...

August 10, 2020, 3:23 PM

I like that idea for the prison, lol. People are so stupid! But a Hamilton land would be fun. I like the idea of using Mickey Mouse Clubhouse characters.

I always thought a Beauty and the Beast land would be cool. I guess similar to the one they are building in Tokyo Disneyland. They could have the town, as it appears in the movie. A dark ride, with state of the art technology. Meet and greet characters from the movie. Also, a restaurant. Maybe they could clone the Be our Guest restaurant, like the one in Florida.

August 10, 2020, 10:23 PM

I'm doing a chronological watch of all the MCU movies right now, so... Wakanda.

August 10, 2020, 10:54 PM

I think the post said Disneyland and the Marvel land being in CA Adventure might make having Wakanda weird but it sounds like a great idea so here are three ways I think that issue can be solved:
1) Create a Hogwarts Express-type attraction from the lands to one another
2) Have it as a mini land extended from Avengers Campus in CA Adventure
3) Put it in Animal Kingdom? There hasn’t been much going on besides Pandora.

August 11, 2020, 6:46 AM

A villain land is long overdue. It will house Maleficent's castle surrounded by homes where Cruella de Vil, Jafar, Queen of Hearts and Hook reside. The aesthetic will be very eclectic but the colors and mood will pull it together.
There will be a theater where a reworked and updated Disney Cruise line show; Villains Tonight. A restaurant will be a given and meet and greats is something Disney can't do without but the highlight will be a dark ride where we go trough the castle dungeon where each villain has it's own lab to create new evil spells and contraptions. The guest will be the test subject but we escape every time in an exciting way (drop tracks, small coaster parts, speeding away while spinning and more fun).

August 11, 2020, 9:29 AM

Wakanda is a pure platinum idea ... It's Marvel so they probably can't do it at WDW ... Plus you get a little taste pf Rohde's DAK.

Great idea!

August 11, 2020, 10:58 AM

I've always liked the idea of Zootopia as a theme park land, particularly at DAK as an oft-rumored replacement for Rafiki's Planet Watch.

I've always wanted Disney to rip out Dinoland USA to allow for Indiana Jones to take over one of WDW's least popular lands. It allows for a low cost change by cloning one of DL's most popular rides to replace Dinosaur, and to up the accessibility quotient for the land as a whole. It's almost too easy in today's belt-tightening climate for Disney to perform minimal changes to create a big impact.

I also feel that Aladdin is completely under-represented in the parks in relation to it's Eisner-animation revival peers (Little Mermaid, Lion King, and Beauty and the Beast). DCA lost its Aladdin show, and WDW has just a Dumbo clone (and a segment of Happily Ever After) dedicated to one of Disney's most-popular animated movies of all time. Obviously the Morocco pavilion in EPCOT would represent the easiest/cheapest opportunity to inject Aladdin's story into the parks, and the characters already appear there. A Robo-coaster platform would be perfectly suited to a magic carpet dark ride, and the Palace of Agrabah could be the "weenie" for the land replacing the nondescript minarets and buildings present in the current design. Disney has already bastardized the Norway pavilion with Arendelle, so the precedent has been set in weaving fictional lands into EPCOT countries.

August 11, 2020, 12:16 PM

I've always wanted there to be a land (or lands) based on ABC Schoolhouse Rock. Some of the ideas are so obvious. This is not designed as a kid's section, but rather intended for the whole family drawing on the nostalgia for Adults and the appeal to younger folks too.

Let's start with Grammar:
Conjunction Junction - train ride.
Lolly, Lolly, Lolly, Get Your Adverbs Here - Gift Shop
Unpack Your Adjectives - Character Meet and Greet featuring the backpacking girl with her bear and turtle friends.
Verb: That's What's Happening - Superhero roller coaster

Multiplication Rock:
The bulk of this land would be a trackless dark ride through all the numbers from My Hero Zero to Little Twelve Toes. Imagine your vehicle skating a figure eight with the ice skater, following the happy family from three is a magic number through a meadow, playing hide and seek with the cast from Ready or Not, Here I Come (5)along with others.
Other stand along attractions in Multiplication Rock would be:
A Billiards themed spinning teacup style ride for Naughty Number Nine
A Four Legged Zoo play zone not unlike IOA's If I Ran The Zoo.

Science Rock:

Interplanet Janet: indoor space roller coaster
Gravity - Drop Ride with a 50's aesthetic
Body Machine - Healthy dining restaurant

America Rock:

The Great American Melting Pot - Large food court with counter service featuring cuisine that has roots from immigrants, but is now pure American'
I'm just a Bill - Character Meet and Greet on the steps of Congress with Bill.
Mother Necessity - Built to look like a Double-decker carousel themed to Inventions from Americans. Lower level is a traditional carousel, upper level is a flying Dumbo type ride featuring Wright Brothers airplanes.
Sing-A-Long America - Large stage show featuring most of the American Rocks songs performed in a large indoor theater.

The Land would also feature other songs from Money and Earth Rocks, but those two categories never had the kind of staying power the Grammar, Multiplication and America still have.

August 11, 2020, 12:27 PM

I think the Schoolhouse Rock idea is good, but I don’t think it would be a huge popularity booster compared to Wakanda, or even villains/Hamilton.

August 11, 2020, 12:35 PM

Right - but this is not a contest is it?

Edited: August 11, 2020, 2:11 PM

Schoolhouse Rock is a great idea! And thanks, Rob... I now have "Interplanet Janet" playing on repeat in my head :-).

One of my personal favorite movies from childhood was The Rescuers... The original, not the silly Downunder sequel. I'd love a dark boat ride through the swamp, maybe in a leaf driven by Evinrude, where we'd get to see the creepy riverboat and meet Madame Medusa, Brutus and Nero... then escape with the Devil's Eye diamond.

There could also be a spinner ride where everyone gets to ride on Orville's back. And maybe a walk-true attraction of the Rescue Aid Society's headquarters in New York, where everything is built on a large scale to make us feel like mice.

Yeah, I know I'm deep-diving for this one. But it really was one of my favorites as a kid -- I had the LP on repeat CONSTANTLY. Probably drove my mother insane... (that and the Star Wars LP...)

August 11, 2020, 2:26 PM

@RobMcCullough - touché 😂
@MelanieHowe - never heard of The Rescuers, but I'm always up for a new water dark ride - unless it's going to be like Navi River Journey...

August 11, 2020, 2:38 PM

@Radiator — you should check it out. It’s not one of Disney’s greatest, but it’s cute and endearing. And would make a GREAT boat ride which could include being attacked by alligators (Brutus and Nero); not a Navi River snore-fest :-)

August 11, 2020, 4:54 PM

My top ideas would be as followed:

1.) Aladdin land - replicate Agrabah, and have an attraction where you’re flying on a magic carpet. Similar to Peter Pan, how you fly above London. But it would use state of the art technology, and you feel like you actually are flying.

2.) Beauty and the Beast Land - similar to the land being built in Tokyo Disneyland. It could have the village where Belle lives in. A dark ride, where you relive the story. Character meet and greet from the movie. Also, a restaurant, similar to the Be our Guest in Orlando.

3.) Wakanda Land - I know a Wakanda ride, dedicated to the movie, is being planned for a future attraction, in Avengers Campus. However, it would be great if they had a whole area dedicated to the movie. You would feel like you are actually walking in Wakanda. Just like you do in Cars Land. They could have a new state of the art attraction. Or, maybe even use the ride that will be used in Avengers Campus down the road.

August 11, 2020, 5:57 PM

@Andrew - sorry!! I just never got the “feels” for the kid in the sequel like I did for Penny and Rufus; “Someone’s Waiting for You” gets me in the gut every time I hear it :-)

August 11, 2020, 6:12 PM

"R-E-S-C-U-E, Rescue Aid Society, Heads held high, touch the sky, you mean everything to me."
It is a GREAT movie and I agree, sadly missing from the parks. I heard a cover version of "Someone's waiting for you" in my car the other day and burst into tears. That song is amazing and given such little respect in the fan community. I'd love a water dark ride for The Rescuers. Honestly - I am ticked that Princess and the Frog is taking over Splash Mountain, but I think the swamps from The Rescuers might fit better.

I respect those who are bringing up things like Wakanda and big hits like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Hamilton (Really...Disney?) but I think this exercise is a lot more fun if you think beyond the BIG well known hits for the lesser known but still loved stories.

August 11, 2020, 6:31 PM

Ha!! Rob, you’re awesome! It was EXACTLY that song that finally got Interplanet Janet out of my head today. I even looked it up on YouTube to make sure I had the lyrics right and was shocked how accurate I was after literally not seeing or hearing it for 20+ years. Definitely an unappreciated Disney ear worm and a great movie :-)

August 11, 2020, 6:39 PM

Oh, and I’m amending my suggestion about an Orville spinner... I think a family-friendly coaster a la Slinky Dog would be more appropriate. Orville’s flying skills WERE a bit dodgy :-)

August 11, 2020, 6:39 PM

Another cool idea is a land dedicated to Zootopia. Recreating the city would be pretty cool. They could include a dark ride for the land as well.

I think a Greece themed area, with a Hercules attraction, would make a cool themed area. Some things they can include are: the Acropolis, and the Parthenon. They could have a meet and greet with characters from the movie. Also, a Greek food restaurant.

I’ve always thought it would be cool if Disneyland included Ichabod, and the Headless Horsemen for Halloween. Not only in the parade, but they could do some kind of overhaul...like they do for the Nightmare Before Christmas. I don’t know how they can incorporate it, but...it would be cool.

August 11, 2020, 7:46 PM

@Rob: I've taken your suggestion of thinking out of the box, and here is my revised land: behold, Stratford Upon Avon.

As a new extension of the England pavilion in Epcot, Stratford Upon Avon would take you on a journey through The Bard's stories in a river raft/motion simulator hybrid titled "Shakespeare's Blood Bath." There would also be a fast food restaurant called McBeths, with floating daggers in the bathrooms. Shakespeare is in the public domain, so there would be nothing stopping them from using his stories.

Another idea, you ask for? Social Media Land - once Disney buys up every company besides Amazon (including Facebook, Twitter, etc.), they can create different innovative flat rides themed to each unique interface. I'm sure you can imagine the interactive queue for yourselves.

August 11, 2020, 9:45 PM

Or if you really want to be out of the box, have Disney acquire Mel Brooks' soul and replace Pandora with a Mel Brooks themed land, adding the forgotten Hotel Mel, changing the Flight of Passage simulator to be a Young Frankenstein-themed castle tour or Blazing Saddles-themed horse dark ride/coaster, and changing Navi River Journey to be themed based on The Producers, although I doubt Nazi River Journey would sit well with some people.

August 12, 2020, 7:32 AM

Nazi River Journey!!! Okay, that almost made me spit my morning Coke :-). 'Cause Mel Brooks, the Producers and "Springtime for Hitler" are simply brilliant.

Love the idea of a ride themed to Young Frankenstein.... Course, that has a lot to do with the fact that I'm gonna be absolutely gutted if COVID totally kills Epic Universe and I never get my Classic Monsters land...

August 13, 2020, 11:54 PM

I don’t really have a dream land but I’d love to see a land where you have to do activities and perform actions in order to go on an attraction within the land, or obtain a fastpass for that ride. Like an Indiana Jones type jungle and in order to enter the temple you have to figure out some code and talk to certain people. I know it’s weird and most people would just want to ride the attraction and not have to do “work” but I’d enjoy doing activities to ride a attraction. It would make me feel more like I’m on an adventure than “oh I’m on a ride at Disneyland”.

August 14, 2020, 4:57 PM

I don't think Disney owns Adult Swim, but I'd like to see a Rick and Morty themed land somewhere, comprised of various different mini-land dimensions.

Edited: August 18, 2020, 9:49 AM

Star Wars Original Land replacing Tomorrowland.
Keep Star Tours.
Buzz become Han Solo and Chewbacca fight against storm troopers.
Create Great Moments with Master Yoda (If they decided to take it to MK they could use the Stitch attraction place).
The Inovation space become "Carrousel around the galaxy", showing scenes of different planets the saga.
The Autopia become Endor Speeder attraction, using the SS Axis coaster technology.
Plus a transportation attraction linking this land with the other SW land, like Universal did with the 2 HP lands in Florida.

August 18, 2020, 10:34 AM

My dream land would be Tomorrowland actually being Tomorrowland. Make every attractions solely about a positive outlook of the future, which is what the original intent was. Remove all the Pixar attractions, put in a Mission to Mars or some other planet (since we have Mission Space), redo the 360 theater, spruce up the TTA, etc., etc.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive