Voting for Best Theme Park Show

November 27, 2020, 1:45 PM

Hello everyone. Today, I'm opening up the voting for Best Theme Park Show. If you have not yet voted via the link in today's email newsletter, nominate your favorites in a response here.

Please tell us your favorite theme park shows (up to 20), starting with your favorite. We will announce the finalists on the front page of the site in December. Thanks!

Replies (8)

November 27, 2020, 2:11 PM

1. Finding Nemo: The Musical at Animal Kingdom (for all-around awesomeness)
2. Song of Mirage at Tokyo DisneySea (for scenic design)
3. King Triton’s Concert at Tokyo DisneySea (for scenic design)

RIP Aladdin...

November 27, 2020, 3:26 PM

Tree of Life Awakenings! Gorgeous (and continuous) shows that highlight one of the best icons in just about any theme park.

November 27, 2020, 5:01 PM

1. Festival of the Lion King (Animal Kingdom)
2. Fantasmic (Disney's Hollywood Studios)
3. Bourne Spectacular (USO)

November 27, 2020, 7:56 PM

1). Waterworld
2). Universal’s Horror Makeup Show
3). Fantasmic! (Disneyland version)

November 28, 2020, 12:31 AM

1 Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
2. Universal's Horror Makeup Show
3. Waterworld
4. Fantastmic.
5. Finding Nemo Musical
6. Festival of the Lion King
7 Frozen Live
8. Song of Mirage

Edited: November 29, 2020, 1:57 PM

My contribution. I definately go for artistic quality. The scale is a component, but not everything.

Without any doubt:
1/ 'Cinéscénie' (Puy du Fou) > Most spectacular (and biggest) show on earth.
Let me introduce some facts about this show : it has 23 hectares (!!!) of stage with a real castle backdrop, 2550 actors (!!!), 28,000 costumes to change, ... 17,000 seated visitors.
It blows away Disney at overdrive magnitude. Not even 12 Disney parcs all together could produce it...

Then, the ranking is a bit difficult.... but I include :
2/ 'Le signe du Triomphe' (Puy du Fou) (In a full sized Roman circus/colosseum)
3/ 'Le bal des oiseaux fantômes' (Puy du Fou) (The largest and most spectacular wild birds show on earth, 330 birds participate)
4/ 'Mousquetaire de Richelieu' (Puy du Fou) (Giant sized indoors water flood stage with dancers, fighters and horses)
5/ 'Le dernier panache' (Puy du Fou) (360° moving theatre, where the spectators turn around to follow the spectacle)
6/ 'La renaissance du chataux' (Puy du Fou) (Imagine a walk through attraction, where the settings are the real rooms of a castle with a level of detail that blows away Disney again, where life actors cooperate with animatronics and special effects, and visitors are part of the experience as the distance between them and the actors is non-existing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRCMkyuWRVc&list=PL0c3jhs1f0DneVi2MybsfJTj3Iclaeao7&index=5
....for all those who thought the idea of a walk through was proclaimed dead, after Walt Disney canceled it during the development of the Hanted mansion.)
7/ 'Les Noces de Feu' (Puy du Fou - new 2020) (A fountains and life actors water show, when the artistic refinement takes over from the blunt but uncultured 'bigger-is-better' attitude, typical for that kind of shows)
8/ 'Crane dance' (Sentosa - Signapore) - along in suite with 'Songs of the Sea'/'Wings of Time'
9/ 'Les amoureux de Verdun' (Puy du Fou) (Another life acted walk through attraction)
10/ 'Le secret de la lance' (Puy du Fou) (Joisting spectacular)
11/ 'Les chevaliers de la Table Ronde' (Puy du Fou) (King Arthur legend spectacular)
12/ 'Fantasmic!' (Anaheim version)
13/ 'World of Color' (Anaheim)
14/ 'Waterworld' (any of all 3 versions)
15/ 'Les Vikings' (Puy du Fou)
16/ 'Finding Nemo The Musical' (DAK)
17/ 'Aquanura' - First and second symphony versions (Efteling) (IMHO, the Tiesto version is crap !)
18/ 'Sjörövarfabbes jänta' (Astrid Lindgrens Värld, Sweden) (Pippi Longstockings spectacle)
19/ 'Bröderna Lejonhjärta - Stridens Dag' (Astrid Lindgrens Värld, Sweden) ('The day of battle')
20/ 'Ronja Rövardotter' (Astrid Lindgrens Värld, Sweden) ('Ronja Robbersdaughter')

((Note. What I detest with contemporary Disney (NOT so in the far past.. when Walt was alife..) in too many of the shows and even in the MUZAK on the streets, is the sheer exageration of blown out sound decibels. Sorry for my opinion, but it's vulgar...))

If you're tired of Disney and Universal,
Try the real total emersion at Puy du Fou ...
NO branding anywhere, NO import IP, NO industry products,
ONLY entertainment with a soul, rooted in history and myths.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHAU1BrLQO8&list=RDCMUCDOA6m8YfcBNKn_ZYj3OjuA&index=4

December 1, 2020, 5:18 PM

Gonna include parades on this one because I consider those a "traveling show" as well as seasonal shows. Also only gonna do the superior version of cloned shows.

1. Fantasmic-Disneyland
2. Happily Ever After-Magic Kingdom
3. Universal's Cinematic Celebration-Universal Studios Florida
4. Sesame Street Party Parade-SeaWorld Orlando (Christmas version is the best)
5. Once Upon a Time-Magic Kingdom
6. World of Color-California Adventure
7. Universal's Holiday Parade featuring Macy's-Universal Studios Florida
8. Christmas on Ice-SeaWorld Orlando
9. Disney Movie Magic-Hollywood Studios
10. Dive!-Holiday World
11. Ignite-SeaWorld Orlando
12. The Magic of Christmas at Hogwarts Castle-Islands of Adventure
13. Finding Nemo: The Musical-Animal Kingdom
14. Horror Make-Up Show-Universal Studios Florida
15. Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular (please bring back the big fireworks and this moves up a couple spots)
16. Festival of Fantasy-Magic Kingdom
17. Festival of the Lion King-Animal Kingdom
18. Sea Lions Tonite-SeaWorld Orlando
19. Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular-Hollywood Studios
20. Critters Inn Charge-Busch Gardens Tampa

December 2, 2020, 4:09 AM

1. Universal Spectacle Night Parade, USJ

I really, really hope Universal find a way to deploy this concept at UO somehow. I've never been fussed about parades at all, but this one blew me away.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive