What is your favorite defunct coaster or attraction?

Edited: April 19, 2021, 6:16 AM

I see a lot of people talking about the best coaster standing now or the best park out there, but what is your favorite demolished or defunct coaster and why?

Replies (16)

Edited: April 14, 2021, 12:13 PM

For coasters, my top choices would have to be the dueling Dueling Dragons and Big Bad Wolf, though I would have loved to have the chance to experience Ring Racer for myself, too.

For other attractions, that list gets crazy-long, with the Swan Boats, Horizons, Cranium Command, Great Movie Ride, Alfred Hitchcock: The Art of Making Movies, Back to the Future, Adventures through Inner Space, the Disney Skyways, and the entire Opryland park, to start.

But if I had to pick one thing I miss most, it would be playing "Mother" in Alfred Hitchcock: The Art of Making Movies. I always got picked for that!

April 14, 2021, 12:44 PM

Dueling dragons ... when they actually dueled !!

I miss Boardwalk and Baseball for a defunct theme park

April 14, 2021, 1:25 PM

Drachen Fire at BGW

Hard Rock Park, particularly Led Zeppelin: The Ride

April 14, 2021, 2:54 PM

Green lantern at SFMM lol

Nah, after Dueling dragons I'd say Volcano at KD or TOT at DCA.

April 14, 2021, 11:22 PM

For coaster, I'd probably say Dragon Challenge even though I never experienced it in its original form. That coaster was world class even without the dueling, and I can easily see how it was considered among the best in the world in its original configuration. At least Universal has softened the blow with two new world class coasters in the same park (Hagrid's and VelociCoaster).

For a non-coaster ride, I'd go with the Curse of DarKastle from Busch Gardens Williamsburg. To this day, that is probably the best dark ride I've experienced outside of a Disney or Universal park, and it's a shame the park wasn't able to keep it around.

April 15, 2021, 6:58 AM

Alien Encounter MK
House of Horrors UH
Spindletop SFOT (they had a trash can just outside the exit for queasy guests)

April 15, 2021, 11:30 AM

For coasters it's definitely Big Bad Wolf at BGW. I visited the park once in 1989 and I remember thinking it was the neatest coaster I'd ever experienced. I'd always hoped to go back and ride it again, but never got the chance.

For rides in general, it's a toss-up between Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at WDW (my absolute favorite ride as a kid), the original Journey into Imagination at Epcot and Jaws at USF.

April 15, 2021, 12:16 PM

Dueling Dragons / Dragon Challenge!

When the dueled, easily one of the best coaster experiences.

Sans-duel, still two very good and different ride experiences intertwined.

April 16, 2021, 3:36 PM

Volcano: The Blast Coaster at King’s Dominion.

What!? No one said “Mission to Mars” at DL? 🤣

April 17, 2021, 3:07 PM

For a coaster, I would have to say Dueling Dragons at IOA is the one I miss the most with Volcano: The Blast Coaster at King's Dominion in second place.

Don't know if it counts as a dark ride, but 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea in the Magic Kingdom is my nostalgic choice.

Edited: April 20, 2021, 12:24 PM

Big Bad Wolf was my first "big girl" coaster and it will always hold a place of accomplishment in my heart. Over the years I rode it more than any other coaster in the world. I miss it dearly. For fun, I was going to say Drachen Fire but no one would ever take me seriously again.

Most missed extinct attraction is Journey Into Imagination.

Edited: May 2, 2021, 8:29 AM

Big Dipper at Geauga Lake was a really underrated old school wooden out & back from the 20s, it was relatively smooth and had great airtime. Nobody ever talked about it so I didn't expect anything special going into it but it was a great coaster and a shame it wasn't moved to another park.

Oddly enough another coaster that had great airtime was the Togo Standup at Canada's Wonderland, which is funny because I absolutely hated the one at Kings Dominion that thing was a POS. But for some reason the one at Canada's Wonderland was great, it was an airtime machine and actually my favorite coaster at the park (I went the year Behemoth opened so yes I did like the Togo Standup better than the B&M Hyper). To be fair that park has a lot of really bad coasters.

One I did not ride but was a huge shame was removed was Whizzer at CGA. SFGAm was my home park growing up and I ended up being a ride op on Whizzer for a couple years so I am very familiar with it even though it was removed before I ever visited that park, its one of the best family coasters out there and one of the last of its kind. Its huge a shame that PGA took it out and even worse they replaced it with nothing, a skycoaster sat there for a while before eventually decades later building a GCI.

I guess i'll also echo the obvious one as well with Dueling Dragons, the original Dragons was a f'ing masterpiece. Over time as the area around it changed it got nuetered and the non dueling rule was really the final nail in the coffin, at that point it was just sad to see it operate so I didn't mind at all when they took it out.

Volcano was a really awesome coaster but as an operator I can definitely see why they wanted that thing gone lmao. All the same reasons for DejaVu, that park went through a phase I guess with unreliable/high maintenance/extremely low capacity launch coasters as they built Volcano and Hypersonic back to back.

Another one I had a fondness for that you won't see on too many lists was Disaster Transport. While I understand why they wanted it gone and Kinzel said its the second worst decision he ever made (behind TTD), it was actually a really unique and fun family coaster, something CP now lacks. It had that really cheesy 80's space theming that gave it character and you don't find many bobsled coasters out there. Sadly it was neglected over the years and its removal became inevitable.

April 29, 2021, 10:12 PM

Coaster: Shockwave at Six Flags Great America

Non-coaster ride: Good grief, so many but if I had to pick just one, Horizons.

With backups of Mr Toad (WDW), World of Motion, Body Wars, original Journey into Imagination, Norway....

Edited: May 6, 2021, 7:50 PM

The big downside of Dueling Dragons was its length (55 seconds).

Kongfrontation -- that first moment you see Kong on the bridge is one of the most impressive theme park effects in history.

Jaws, Wild, Wild, Wild West Stunt Show, Back to the Future, the original O'Canada and Alien Encounter.

May 8, 2021, 12:59 PM

@TH Creative: I only visited "classic" Universal Studios a couple of times in the '90s but yeah, miss Kong, Jaws and especially Back to the Future.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive