Haunted Mansion & Matterhorn Changes?

Edited: May 17, 2021, 6:10 PM

I’ve recently read two articles about whether Disneyland would ever consider reimagining the Haunted Mansion, or Matterhorn. The articles mention if Disney would ever overhaul the Haunted Mansion to the Muppets. Since the Muppets Haunted Mansion is coming to Disney+ this fall.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ocregister.com/2021/05/13/will-the-muppets-move-into-disneylands-haunted-mansion/amp/

The other article discusses whether Disneyland would ever consider changing Matterhorn Bobsleds to Frozen.
https://insidethemagic.net/2021/05/matterhorn-bobsleds-jp1/comments/

My question is this: would Disney ever consider making these two moves permanent? Or, at least for the Muppets, make it seasonal?

Replies (9)

May 15, 2021, 5:44 PM

Gotta hustle those clicks, ya know?

May 15, 2021, 6:06 PM

Robert, I hear what you’re saying. The one about the Muppets came from the Orange County Register though. So we know it’s from a reliable source.

May 15, 2021, 7:52 PM

I do what I can ... And while I'm here, let me.just say Walt Disney World is better than Universal Orlando and Disney Springs is a theme park.

May 16, 2021, 12:43 AM

Matterhorn to Frozen? Maybe if there's a Frozen III that's successful enough to warrant an attraction, Disney doesn't have other plans for the franchise in Disneyland (such as Arendelle in Disneyland Forward), and a major refurb is justified. However, if it was to happen, I would have expected it to happen already, and at this point I wouldn't bet on it.

Muppets in the Haunted Mansion? When redoing an attraction, it's important that the new version brings in visitors. Should something like this happen, it might result in a net loss of visitors. In other words, not a chance.

May 16, 2021, 9:20 AM

I accepted the loss of Mr. Toad's and 20,000 Leagues... I still mourn Dreamfinder and the original Figment... I've tolerated the changes to Pirates and will miss the original Splash Mountain... But if Disney EVER rethemes the Haunted Mansion, which is simply one of the best dark rides ever made, then I'm done. I love the Muppets, but no... just NO.

May 16, 2021, 3:36 PM

The article, written in the Orange County Register, questions whether Disney would even consider adding the Muppets to the Haunted Mansion. The article alludes to the fact that since the Nightmare Before Christmas takes over for the holidays, when could they even have time to add the Muppets?
The article mentions possibly after the overhaul from Christmas. The writer just wondered since they’re doing a Haunted Mansion Muppets on Disney+ this fall. But I agree with everyone...I don’t see it happening.

May 16, 2021, 6:36 PM

I don't quite see a huge change to Mansion like that, especially after overhaul in WDW some years back already. Fans prefer the classic version more, can't see Disney messing with it too much. I mean, they didn't even alter it to fit the 2003 movie like with Pirates, can't see Muppets more than occasional overlay for holiday.

May 17, 2021, 6:09 PM

Read the OCR story carefully. There is no source from within Disney quoted, anonymously or on the record, suggesting that The Muppets are being considered for a HM overlay at the park. It's just about the Disney+ special. The story is just running with that Disney+ special to ask to a hypothetical, then listing a bunch of other Muppets attractions in the parks' history.

May 18, 2021, 9:04 AM

I believe that disney will be testing different IP overlays on disney plus for its fans. If people go crazy about muppets x haunted mansion I believe disney will do it, if not then it's NEVER a possibility. Haunted mansion is one of those rides they wouldn't change as fans would be extremely upset, Even worse that splash mountain re theme.....

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive