How Would You Assign A-E Tickets Today?

Edited: June 5, 2021, 1:40 PM

Whenever a new attraction opens at a Disney theme park, fans talk about whether it's an "E" ticket. Or maybe it's a "D" or a "C" instead. This comes from Disney's old system of requiring separate ticket coupons for each attraction, with tickets assigned letter values from A through E, with the "E" tickets being the most expensive, for the best and most popular rides and shows.

All-inclusive passport tickets made the A-E ticket system obsolete, but fans continue to use the letters as shorthand for attraction quality. Given that, I would be interested to hear how you would assign the attractions at any given Disney theme park to the A through E categories.

Remember that the concept of the A-E ticket system is to distribute visitors evenly across all the park's attractions. So please consider capacity as well as popularity in assigning attractions. (Assume no pandemic restrictions on capacity, as well.)

Pick one park per response please, grouping the attractions by ticket letter. Commentary welcomed.

Replies (13)

June 6, 2021, 3:11 AM

I will do Walt Disney Studios park paris! Ratatouille, spider man webslingers (unopened), iron man rollercoaster (un named and unopened) and also TOT should be classed at E tickets as they have healthy capacity and are fairly big rides. D ticket rides for me is crushes coaster and cars route 66 Road trip (unopened). Then we have c ticket. All of the toy story rides (shame toy story didn't get an E ticket like MM or Sdd) and that little cars flat rides (it's so bad I can't get its name). B tickets are the flying carpets over alluding, I mean who actually likes this ride..... Wait no.... Thing. Feel free to replies as I've probs started a stir up

Edited: June 6, 2021, 12:51 PM

I'll do California Adventure, which opened long after A-E tickets went away.

E tickets
Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout
Radiator Springs Racers
Soarin' Around the World
WEB Slingers: A Spider-Man Adventure (Only because it just opened. After a year or so, this would move down to D, possibly bumping Grizzly River Run to C.)

D tickets
Grizzly River Run
Incredicoaster
Toy Story Midway Mania

C tickets
Goofy's Sky School
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure
Monsters, Inc.: Mike and Sulley to the Rescue

B tickets
Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind
Jessie's Critter Carousel
Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters
Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
Pixar Pal-A-Round

A tickets
Jumpin' Jellyfish
Mickey's PhilharMagic
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
Silly Symphony Swings
Turtle Talk with Crush

June 6, 2021, 5:16 PM

Epcot (granted even in its glory days not much for true E stuff but still):

E Ticket:
Test Track
Soarin'
Mission: Space
(New Guardians ride when it opens)

D Ticket
Frozen
Remy's Adventure when it opens

C Ticket
Spaceship Earth
Living With the Land
Turtle Talk With Crush

B Ticket
Gran Fiesta Tour
Journey into Imagination
American Adventure
Seas with Nemo and Friends

A Ticket:
O Canda
Reflections of China
Impressions de France

Edited: June 6, 2021, 5:46 PM

A few years ago, I did something like this for the Disneyland resort, but since you're asking for one park I'll stick to just Disneyland. Fair warning...this is probably a bit excessive for this thread, but as they say in school, "show your work."

First off, while I considered historical prices, I didn't feel necessary to stick to them, as there has been so much development since the 1980s that a historical E might not still be an E today. Instead, I started by assigning values to each ticket option, then deciding what each ride was worth. Here's the values and descriptors I used:

A - A filler attraction that most guests won't bother with or an attraction that has a limited audience. These have a value of $2.

B - Minor attractions that most guests enjoy but don't necessarily ride regularly. These are distinguished from A's by their duration, quality, and popularity, and have a value of $3.

C - Major attractions that aren't headliners or must-do rides, essentially those guests try to ride but that won't ruin their trip if they miss. For these, I set $5 as the value.

D - The supporting cast...the rides most guests try to ride, but not the absolute top attractions. These have a value of $7.

E - The absolute top headlining attractions...the few elite rides that most would consider an absolute must ride. For E-tickets, I used the rule of anything I felt was worth $10 per ride, which narrowed it down to a small handful.

The other rule of thumb I used is that you should be able to get around 20 attractions for the cost of current admission tickets (after a $20-30 general admission is factored in...entry was never free, after all). I used the assumption that a guest is likely to do 1-2 A's, 2-3 B's, 3-5 C's, 5-7 D's, and 4 E's on a typical day at the park.

Using these criteria, here's what I came up with for Disneyland...

A Tickets:

-Astro Orbitor
-Chip 'n Dale Treehouse
-Disney Gallery
-Donald's Boat
-Dumbo the Flying Elephant
-Gadget's Go Coaster
-Goofy's Playhouse
-King Arthur Carrousel
-Mad Tea Party
-Main Street Cinema
-Main Street Vehicles
-Tarzan's Treehouse

B Tickets:

-Autopia
-Casey Jr. Circus Train
-Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes
-Mark Twain Riverboat
-Mickey's House and Meet Mickey
-Minnie's House
-Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
-Pinocchio's Daring Journey
-Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island
-Sailing Ship Columbia
-Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough
-Storybook Land Canal Boats
-The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

C Tickets:

-Alice in Wonderland
-Disneyland Monorail (round trip only...no ticket required for one way)
-Jungle Cruise
-Peter Pan's Flight
-Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin
-Snow White's Enchanted Wish
-Storytelling at Royal Theater
-The Disneyland Story Presenting Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
-Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room

D Tickets:

-Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
-Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
-Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
-Haunted Mansion (E during holiday version)
-"it's a small world"
-Matterhorn Bobsleds
-Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run
-Star Tours: The Adventures Continue

E Tickets:

-Indiana Jones Adventure
-Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway (once it opens)
-Pirates of the Caribbean
-Space Mountain
-Splash Mountain

There are also two special case attractions not covered on the above list:

-The Disneyland Railroad would be variable between A, B, and C depending on which legs you travel. Trips including just the Main Street > New Orleans Square leg or Toontown > Tomorrowland leg would be an A ticket. The New Orleans Square > Toontown and Tomorrowland > Main Street legs would require a B ticket, which would cover the adjacent A legs as well. A C would be required for a trip covering both B legs.

-Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance would be excluded from the ticket system and would require a special ticket just for that attraction (an F ticket, if you will). This would not be included with any ticket books and would be a separate upcharge of ~$15, which I consider justified given the epic scale of the attraction.

Edited: June 9, 2021, 10:29 PM

Wow, this'll be fun, too bad it's limited to one park but I'll do the easiest one (good luck to whoever chooses MK). The list will also kinda have a "list" of its own. The attraction listed at the top of the category is the best of the best in its respective category. As you go down the list, the lower level attraction is. I'd say the lowest attraction in the category and the highest attraction are both borderline to the other category (kinda like flats and sharps in music).

Hollywood Studios

E-Ticket -
Rise of the Resistance
Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway
Tower of Terror
Fantasmic
Slinky Dog Dash

D-Ticket -
Millennium Falcon Smuggler's Run
Rockin Roller Coaster
Star Tours
Toy Story Mania
Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular

C-Ticket -
Muppet Vision
Lightning McQueen Racing Academy
Alien Swirling Saucers
Beauty and the Beast

B-Ticket -
Vacation Fun

A-Ticket -
Walt Disney Presents
Star Wars Launch Bay

I love this park. Even though objectively it isn't the best WDW park (AK is), it's the park I have the most fun in. Technically, it has the most E/D tickets out of any WDW park. I'd love to say that all of the D tickets I listed are actually E-tickets but after a while of thinking, most of them aren't... at least not with AJ's thinking. The hardest decision was making RNR a D-ticket and SDD an E-ticket. I really enjoy RNR but at the end of the day, SDD is more immersive and brings more to the table in terms of experience than RNR.

Also, Fantasmic gets the E-ticket privilege because of its massive scale. A huge amphitheater with fireworks, pyrotechnics, water screen technology, a huge dragon (DL does it better), and costly costumes and props. If they changed it to DL's updated version of the show, it would be superior because you could actually sit.

June 10, 2021, 1:47 PM

I just wanted one park per response, to make things easier to read. Feel free to submit as many responses as you wish for as many parks you as would like to assign.

Edited: June 11, 2021, 1:43 AM

In that case, I'll go ahead and throw up my DCA list up as well for comparison purposes. Same criteria I used for Disneyland apply here.

A Tickets:

-Golden Zephyr
-Jumpin' Jellyfish
-Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind
-Jessie's Critter Carousel
-Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters
-Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
-Red Car Trolley
-Silly Symphony Swings
-The Bakery Tour
-Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar

B Ticket:

-Anna and Elsa's Royal Welcome
-Goofy's Sky School
-Pixar Pal-A-Round
-Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
-Sorcerer's Workshop

C Ticket:

-Animation Academy
-Disney Junior Dance Party
-Mickey's PhilharMagic
-Monsters, Inc. Mike and Sulley to the Rescue
-Turtle Talk with Crush

D Ticket:

-Incredicoaster
-The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel's Undersea Adventure
-Toy Story Midway Mania!
-Web Slingers: A Spider-Man Adventure
-World of Color (free from outside the viewing area)

E Ticket:

-Grizzly River Run (D ticket in colder months)
-Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: Breakout!
-Radiator Springs Racers
-Soarin' Around the World

June 12, 2021, 10:21 AM

E ticket= headline attraction (must ride). D ticket= Major attraction (really try to ride). C ticket= minor attraction (should ride if you can). B ticket= filler attraction with a wide appeal (only ride if you have extra time but can be missed). A ticket= filler attraction with a limited appeal (most will skip). For Disney, I count shows in these different categories as well.

Since no one has done Animal Kingdom...

E Ticket:

Expedition Everest
Kilimanjaro Safari
Flight of Passage
Dinosaur

D Ticket:

Festival of the Lion King
Kali River Rapids
Nemo Musical

C Ticket:
Tough to Be a Bug
Primeval Whirl (if still open haha)
Navi River Journey
Maharajah Jungle Trek

B Ticket:
Winged Encounters
Wildlife Express Train/Conservation Station
Gorilla Falls

A Ticket:
Triceratops Spin
The Boneyard
Fossil Fun Games

June 17, 2021, 6:52 PM

Non-ticket designated attractions (Free)
-Chip 'n Dale Treehouse
-Disney Gallery
-Donald's Boat
-Goofy's Playhouse
-Main Street Cinema
-Tarzan's Treehouse
-Mickey's House and Meet Mickey
-Minnie's House
-Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough

A Tickets:

-The Disneyland Story Presenting Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
-Astro Orbitor
-Autopia
-Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room
-Dumbo the Flying Elephant
-King Arthur Carrousel
-Main Street Vehicles

B Tickets:

-Disneyland Railroad
-Mad Tea Party
-Casey Jr. Circus Train
-Mark Twain Riverboat
-Pinocchio's Daring Journey
-Sailing Ship Columbia
-Storybook Land Canal Boats
-The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
-Gadget's Go Coaster
-Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage

C Tickets:

-Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes
-Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island (And Log Raft)
-Alice in Wonderland
-Disneyland Monorail (entering within the park round trip)free one way entering park from Downtown Disney
-Jungle Cruise
-Snow White's Enchanted Wish
-Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
-Star Tours: The Adventures Continue

D Tickets:

-Haunted Mansion
-Splash Mountain
-Matterhorn Bobsleds
-Pirates of the Caribbean
-Peter Pan's Flight
-Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin
-Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

E Tickets:

-Indiana Jones Adventure
-Space Mountain
-Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
-Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run
-Rise of the Resistance

Edited: July 9, 2021, 2:47 PM

Greetings
Ref. :
AJ Hummel
Edited: June 6, 2021, 5:46 PM
I really appreciate your clear defined categories. A-E
But especially aggree with a newly established category "F", with 'Rise of the Resistance', which changed the way a single atttaction gets defined, designed and executed. It combines properties of an extensive waitrow, which 100% belongs to the main attraction (instead of an excuse to the visitors) + 3 different ride experiences, one after the other.
An "F" type attraction, is explicitely new for Disney. However, there have been (still now) time consuming attractions in other parks in the world, in the past. Consider the original 'Studio Tram Tour' at Universal in Hollywood (the ONLY real thing...) , or the 'Sprookjesbos' as a whole (< Fairy tale forest) in Efteling theme park, which could take up between 1 à 3 hours of total visiting time. Such "F" attractions are very rare, worldwide, but Disney is not the only one, let's be honest. (The 'Cinécénie' show at 'Puy du Fou' theme park is without any doubt the real world's top in "F" attraction scheme, when it comes to 'seated shows'... reservations are commonly selling out up to one year ahead !!!, even with it's astonishing 14,000 visitors PER show !)

AJ Hummel,
When comparing your personal A-E listing, with the original Disney pre-1980 ticket-book clasification, quite some shifting up and down are visible.
It's a fact that in the days Disney used the tickets, they were based more on the mix of Capital investment + Capacity. Visitor appreciation, did not come in at all, in the beginning. A few attractions officially changed PRICE category over the years, due to visitor interest. Such as the DL-RR going down from E > D. Also, very interesting, the original sales system had very FEW A-ticket attractions. The majority small attractions started being priced at 'B'.
SO.... there effectively is a difference between visitors appreciation, at the one hand, and sales strategy, at the other hand.
When transposing the A-E ticket reference system to other parks then Disney parks, a global shift over all attractions must be considered when it comes to both capacity and theoretical ticket price. Every mayor theme park, can have it's own scheme. A park with 2.5 million attendance does not live up with the same capacity standards, as a park with 17 million attendance... yet, quality perception is similar because VIEWED and rated by mostly the same customers...

I will perform the exercise for Efteling theme park. (> 5 million visitors/year) (Follow up post)

Edited: July 10, 2021, 1:57 AM

Efteling theme park,
REF: 5 million attendance/year
(See my comments in the previous post)

F-ticket
* 'Sprookjesbos' (Fairy tale forest) as a whole. The individual (now 30) fairy tales, in theory could be rated one by one, but nobody is doing so, as far as I know. However, the size and immersive experience of any individual fairy tale can be as different (one-to-another) from a simple symbolic sculpture feature, to a grand indoor animatronics and special effects show of 5 minutes each. The 'Sprookjesbos' always was intended as a "complete cohesive experience" from the very first days. Even if the visitors are free just to walk through the forest, or attend the storytelling story-by-story of all 30 tales, along the route.

E-ticket (in Efteling, featuring 8-12 minutes experiences)
* 'Droomvlucht' (= dreamflight) , multi award winning darkride
* 'Symbolica' , also multi award winning darkride
* 'Fata Morgana' darkride (with 144 animatronics..)

D-ticket
* 'Vliegende Hollander' (= flying Dutchman) walktrough + darkride + coaster + splash combined attraction....... In my opinion missed an E-ticket denomination, because the darkride just falls short to live up to that... There was a shortcut in development capital, because initially the E-ticket level already WAS designed, but screwed back...)
* 'Lavenlaar' (= Village of the Laven people) , including the snail monorail. A different storyline (developed by Efteling, no outside IP) but similar in experience as with the 'Sprookjesbos' , where the individual features can only be seen as a whole. (Dwelltime between 20 min - 1 hour) (Compare it with a Tom Sawyers Island exploration concept)
* 'Vogel Rok' Dark indoor coaster, in the time referred to as 'Efteling's space mountain', but themed to the Sindbad's stories.
'Carnaval Festival' Kid's oriented (but I commonly see 80% adults.. lol) omnimover darkride on the exhilarating theme of carnival (festivities) in different countries of the world. As many say, inspired by 'It's a small world', but the experience is still unique (including the intoxicating music tune >>> look, how much people are trying to sing along (lalala), during the ride .. lol)
* 'Pirañha' White river raft ride. (2nd of it's kind, worldwide ?) , still the only of it's kind with a slow 'high wave pond' area midway (> Wave machines operate the area !!), where rafts can bounce and pass each other by hazard, while being attacked by water jets operated by the spectators. For me, this attraction gets it's 'D' rating instead of 'C' rating, because it's not limited to the narrow channel logic, as it is with near to all others, including those operated by Disney. The 'wild lake' bumping section really makes the difference. PLUS, the exquite landscaping !
* 'Baron 1889' Deeply themed dive coaster with extensive pre-show (animatornic/media) One SPECIAL reward, is that non coaster riders can experience the preshow on simple request.
* 'Raveleijn' Life show on IP developed by the park itself, with life actors, animals, a masive dragon animatronic and many special effects.

C-ticket
* 'Spookslot' (= Ghost castle) Indoor walkthrough (preshow) and theatre ghost show, based on the music of Saint-Saëns' famous Dance Macabre (the classic music was used to design the show) >> for classic music enthousiasts, with a feeling for the macabre :-)
* 'Fabula' Funny 4D show
* 'Python' Coaster
* 'Joris en de Draak' Dueling wooden coaster
* 'Villa Volta' Fully themed madhouse attraction (it was the first of it's kind in the world, a dozen others were established in other theme parks worldwide thereafter > Under Efteling licence...)
* 'Aquanura' Water show on a lake, featuring music from the park, fountains, lighting and fire.

B-ticket
* Efteling Steam train. (Circle loop)
* 'Diorama' Miniature world display
* 'Gondoletta' RELAX-ride on the canal and lake water ... 20 minutes of boat ride, so calm that I myself call it 'The picnic boats' .. lol >> video take :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXD36JBKXfk
(Enjoy 20 minutes before bedtime.. haha)
* 'Efteling museum' >> yes, the park has a real museum inside the park, with historic artifacts, animatronics technology, imagineer's design work display, an interactive fairy-tale knowledge quizz room... > it ranks higher for me personally, but I rate it in general visitors perspective)
* 'Pagode' High flying parorama vehicle; shaped as South Asian pagoda pavillion, giving a specacular overview of the whole park and the nature reserves around it.
* Stoomcaurousel' 19th century authentic indoors steam powered carousel (with heritage value)
* 'Halve Maan' Pirate ship swing ride
* 'De oude Tufferbaan' Vintage cars ride out in the landscape, with interactive-animated scenes underway
* 'Max & Moritz' Themed, dual powered coaster
* Fairy tale forest open air theatre > life+ puppet play story telling

A-ticket
* Carousel A
* Carousel B
* Flying Swing ride A
* Flying Swing ride B
* Caterpillar mery go round
>> all those are in "Anton Pieck Plein" area,
and are hand-restored historic salvation pieces from early 20th century.
* 'Kleuterhof' Themed playground for small kids
* 'Monsieur Canibale' 'teacups-stype ride (will recently be rethemed)
* 'Nest' Inclusive adventure playground
* 'Kinderspoor' Self powered vintage trains
* 'Fabula indoor playground' At the exit of the Fabula 4D show
* 'Avonturen Doolhof' Kids adventure maze

There is a category "under" A-ticket attraction, which I call micro-attraction, scattered all over the park. Not listed anywhere on attraction maps. They all are storytelling aimed. Some are free to enjoy, some are coin operated.
(Game Gallery > falls out of categories, as well as the Efteling Theatre

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive