How far are you willing to travel for a theme park?

Edited: August 17, 2021, 4:22 PM

Russell Meyer recently wrote many Trip reports during his Pandemic Adventures through the Southeast where he visited several parks. But then I started to think. How far is one willing to travel for a Theme Park…

Recently I was looking at some Theme parks that look amazing but are really far from me. Such as Tokyo DisneySea, Warner bros Abu Dhabi, Ferrari World Abu Dhabi, Dubai, China, Paris and many more.

So I am wondering what is the furthest one is willing to travel for a Theme Park visit?

6 Hour flight, 10 Hour car drive?

Replies (10)

August 17, 2021, 4:27 PM

I flew a day and a half to get from LA to Universal Studios Singapore (with a connection in Tokyo). But the flight back from Tokyo Disney took negative six hours on the clock, so there's that. ;^)

Edited: August 17, 2021, 4:44 PM

Ufff excelente question. It does depend ( for me ) who AM i going with. I can go with My kids, My parents and polítical family to Orlando as is a Two hours tríp from Cancún or Mérida ( My Home Town ) or 4 with a Miami layover. But no more than that. I AM more than happy to make the 8 hours tríp to California ( by myself or My wife or a good friend). But i draw the lines to transatlantic or transpacific fligths just for the parks. As part of a larger tríp to visit Japan or China sure i Will be happy.

August 17, 2021, 5:47 PM

If you're talking strictly for a theme park, pretty much anywhere in the US. I've flown cross-country just to visit parks on several occasions. I'd absolutely love to go visit parks in Europe or Japan, but such a trip would not be strictly traveling for parks and would likely be about half park time and half more typical tourist activities.

Edited: August 18, 2021, 7:50 AM

If we're putting together a trip just for theme parks, we aren't willing to go that far. Orlando/Tampa is probably the only exception. I'd love to go to Tokyo Disneyland and TDS, but such a trip would be much more than just theme parks and the same would go for visits to any other theme park in a foreign country..

Outside of Orlando, I we have never traveled more than 6-7 hours by car for a theme park-only vacation.

August 18, 2021, 8:16 AM

Hey Russ,

I was thinking for the Olympics that just happened in Tokyo, if I were there to see the Olympics or was an athlete competing, why not stay an extra week to see Disney and other places like Tokyo Sea.

August 18, 2021, 8:31 AM

Absolutely Brian, but I don't think that I would ever plan an overseas trip JUST to visit theme parks. Theme parks might be a driving force or a majority of the POIs visited, but even as much as I LOVE visiting theme parks, they wouldn't be the sole reason for booking an international flight.

Edited: August 19, 2021, 12:44 PM

I agree with Russell. If I was doing a week or so in Tokyo, I might fit in a trip to Disneyland there but flying all the way just for a couple of days at the parks is a bit much.

That was a key mistake of Euro Disney when it opened, they put in several on-site resorts as they expected folks to spend a couple of days just at the parks and that's all. Which even Eisener himself openly stated "was really, really dumb."

August 30, 2021, 10:23 AM

I guess it all depends upon the entertainment I'm looking for. It sure needs to be clean though lol. At tilers geelong we thoroughly enjoy some paintball action.

August 30, 2021, 4:57 PM

It's 18 miles from my driveway to EPCOT parking.

August 30, 2021, 5:40 PM

Furthest so far was to Tokyo, but the main point of that trip was not to visit theme parks. We did so while we were there, but it was just because of the "When in Rome" thing.
We've booked travel in 2022 to go to South Africa. No theme parks are on the agenda for this visit, but the 16-hour, 15-minute flight from NYC to Cape Town sounds like a heck of a E-Ticket to me...and not one I'm looking forward to. Being there, yes. Getting there, NO.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive