Gritty reimaginings of Disney theme park attractions

Edited: February 13, 2023, 3:28 PM

This is inspired by "Bel Air," the Peacock reboot of "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" not as another half-hour sitcom, but as an hour-long drama.

Since there's rarely a truly original idea in entertainment anymore, let's play around reimagining some old Disney attractions as the type of gritty, dystopian, anti-hero-led dramas that Hollywood seems so in love with these days.

Why would anyone do this? Because the wilder and more ridiculous the reboot concept is, the more stupidly fun they might be to read.

I'll start - It's a reboot of Disney's "Country Bear Jamboree," except the Country Bears in this drama are five middle-aged, overweight gay men who are running an underground drag show that tours the American South. Every week will feature an originally-choreographed drag version of a song from one of the three "Country Bear" shows that have run in the Disney Parks worldwide, followed by a dramatic car chase scene as the Bears try to evade the local law enforcement sent to close the show and arrest everyone involved.

Next?

Replies (7)

February 13, 2023, 3:34 PM

"Adventure Thru Inner Space" is the latest Disney Plus dramatic series in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Dr. Montgomery Santo has developed the Mighty Microscope, which can shrink people to the sub-atomic level without the use of Pym Particles.

This threatens to tear apart the multiverse, so Carrie Lang is assigned to stop Dr. Mon Santo and learn the secrets of the Mighty Microscope... before she is lost in the Quantum Realm forever.

February 15, 2023, 6:53 AM

When I first read this I thought of Gritty, the Philadelphia Flyers mascot, doing reimaginings of theme park rides. (I am a philly sports fan) So now I am just picturing Gritty going on the rides and taking pics and its all I can think of.

February 15, 2023, 9:09 AM

100% endorsed. Even if I’m more of a Rocky the Mountain Lion guy myself.

Edited: February 20, 2023, 2:23 PM

“Journey Into Imagination: Inside Out” on PixaR+

Riley, a 20-something young woman living in San Francisco is reeling after breaking up with her boyfriend and also learning that her parents are divorcing. Feeling lost and alone, she stumbles upon a man who calls himself The Dreamfinder, promising her escape from her pain and offering pleasures of the mind and senses. From acclaimed director Daren Aronofsky and A24 films, Journey Into Imagination: Inside Out explores the drug-addled fever dream of a San Francisco scene where the young and weary abuse a mysterious drug called Figment, which makes them believe that a small purple dragon is the new and only God. Follow Riley down a rabbit hole of violence, sex, paranoia and catchy songs as her world unravels around her and she begins to question what’s real and what is imagined.

February 20, 2023, 2:34 PM

“Turkey Leg” coming soon to Theaters and Streaming

Local legends whisper of beloved carnival worker Turk E. Lehg, who was brutally murdered and dismembered by local townsfolk for a crime of which he was innocent. Now, 100 years later, the residents of a small town called Frontierland, famed for its idyllic portrait and recreation of early settler life keep discovering gruesome murders with the victims missing their legs. A vast conspiracy begins to unfold involving possible occult dealings and the nefarious work of local smoked meat tycoon Pecos Bill Meats. Hold onto your legs and don’t use butter to sunbathe because this Halloween the smoke ain’t no joke. From the Co-Executive producer of Sharknado 15 and the gaffer and best boy from Leprechaun 7: Beat Street.

February 20, 2023, 3:14 PM

So good....

February 20, 2023, 3:56 PM

NOPE on the Universal Studio Tour is a perfect example of this, haha!

Or how about an Epic Mickey reimagining of Toontown, which is dark Disneyland inspired by the video game? Or perhaps a dystopian reimagining of Disneyland for a year (similar to the Muppetland idea from Jack Lindquist).

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive