Europe Trip: Must Hits

February 20, 2023, 6:59 PM

Hello!

I'm going to Europe in April and we're planning on hitting Efteling as well as Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney Studios Park (same day). We don't go to the US Disneys super often, but enough that we want to focus on things that are special in Paris.

Here is my current priorities list for the Disneys:
Disneyland Paris:
1. Ratatouille
2. Phantom Manor
3. Pirates (apparently it's better/different in Paris from what I've read - is this true?)
4. Big Thunder (same as above)
5. Hyperspace Mt
6. Crush’s coaster
7. Tower of terror
8. Avengers assemble: flight force
9. Walkthroughs (e.g. dragon, under sea, Aladdin, etc)
//
- Cars road trip
- It’s a small world
- Buzz lightyear
- Mickey and the magical map

And here for Efteling:
1. Symbolica
2. Droomvlucht
3. Fata Morgana
4. Baron 1898
5. Fairytale Forest
6. Flying Dutchman
7. Fairytale Forest
8. Joris en de Draak
//
If we have time:
- Vogel Rok
- Python
- Piranha Rapids
- Carnaval Festival dark ride
- Spookslot walk-through haunt
- Fabula 4D
- Aquanara projection show

Suggestions? Ideas? Secrets? Must-get snacks? Suggestions for which rides to prioritize as must-dos? Please share anything and everything. Thanks!

Replies (3)

February 21, 2023, 1:30 PM

All solid choices. I would place Phantom Manor as my top priority for Disneyland Paris, as it mashes up Haunted Mansion with some of the old Western River Expedition concept for Walt Disney World, so it's a Disney history geek's dream. Pirates is a scrambled narrative from the US parks, and also well worth seeing.

Thunder isn't all that different from the US - it just adds long tunnels to the beginning and end of the ride to go under the river. But Hyperspace Mountain is unlike any other Space Mountain. It can be a head-banger though, so be warned. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril is a fun ride, too, IMHO, and worth adding to your list if you've not been to Tokyo DisneySea and ridden its twin there.

Don't miss the walk-throughs you've listed - great choices there.

As for Studios, Crush is a slow-loading time-suck and not worth it if you're trying to do both parks in one day. Go for the Mickey and the Magician show, Ratatouille (if you've not seen it at Epcot) and Tower of Terror, and maybe Avengers Campus if you have time. But DLP should be your priority over WDS.

As for Efteling, Spookslot is gone now, but everything else on your list is well worth your time. Be advised that Fairytale Forest can take a couple of hours if you linger to appreciate all the detail, which I recommend.

The only downside to these parks is that I have found the food pretty mediocre. I got a delightful freshly made Stroopwafel at Efteling and the pancake restaurant there was pretty good, but I did not find anything that I would recommend as a must-eat. Walt's at DLP or the Ratatouille restaurant might be your best bets at Disney. It's ironic that in a country known for the some of the best food in the world, DLP might be the worst of all Disney resorts for eating.

February 22, 2023, 8:52 AM

Nothing to add to Robert's point since I've never been to either parks but if you have time and you hadn't herd of it Parc Astérix is a gorgeous park. I might be bias since I grew up on Astérix and Obélix cartoons but even if you don't know them the park itself was amazing regardless.

February 23, 2023, 6:29 PM

Thanks, Robert. I was looking into both Walt and the Ratatouille restaurant, but they both seem pretty pricey, so I think we'll just suffer food-wise...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive