Universal Studios Hollywood formally reveals their themed lands!

March 3, 2023, 7:16 PM

In very underrated news today, Universal Studios Hollywood has quietly updated their website to mention all of their "themed lands" the park has. They did not make a social media announcement about this. This is a big deal, since I feel like this will be a big glimpse at the future of the park. Obviously, two of them are Super Nintendo World and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

However, more of them were revealed which include:
- Minion Land (including Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem and Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash)
- Jurassic World (including Jurassic World: The Ride)
- Transformers Metrobase (including Transformers: The Ride 3D)
- Waterworld (including Waterworld)
- Studio Tour Plaza (including the Studio Tour)
- Hollywood (the park's main entrance)
- and Production Plaza (including Dreamworks Theater, Universal Plaza, and Paris street)

However, interestingly enough, Springfield, USA of all lands including the Simpsons Ride wasn't mentioned in this list. Nor was Revenge of the Mummy or a surrounding "Egpyt" area for it. So it makes me think that both the Mummy and Simpsons Ride will depart the park in the not too distant future- though not surprising knowing rumors. I can also foresee more Transformers theming, Jurassic World theming (maybe a re-theme of the Mummy to Jurassic World), and a possible replacement/ re-theme for Springfield coming fairly soon.

What do you make of all of this?

Replies (14)

March 3, 2023, 7:17 PM

You can view the "themed lands" page here:
https://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/web/en/us/things-to-do/lands

March 3, 2023, 7:22 PM

Great catch.

Some of these are a real stretch to be considered lands. But not including Springfield is odd, as that would be a legit area to call a land. It's not like that area would be closing in less time than it would take to update a webpage.

Edited: March 6, 2023, 12:52 PM

Thank you, Robert!

Completely agree- like Transformers and Jurassic World. Unless maybe they add more theming around them. But Springfield absolutely is a land!

I do think Disney has something to with this. I do remember Fast and the Furious coaster concept art that was leaked replacing some parts of Springfield, but don’t know if that’s actually going to happen. Also, the signs on the Simpsons Ride are very outdated with no mention of Disney Plus nor “20th Century Studios.” Still a mention of the Longest Daycare poster with “20th Century Fox.”

Obviously, there is speculation that Universal’s contract with the Simpsons will end in 2028.

March 3, 2023, 8:52 PM

Wait, this wasn’t available to masses already? I assumed it was because the new theme land names were revealed earlier in the year to Team Members.

March 3, 2023, 9:04 PM

Right!? No it wasn’t updated until today.

March 3, 2023, 10:54 PM

It's interesting that the omissions are for two of the attractions that are heavily rumored to be departing in the next few years, though given that Springfield is still a more comprehensive area than a couple of the others mentioned it seems like it really should be an official land. Also strange to lump Secret Life of Pets in with Minions, but the idea of creating lands with so few elements is a real stretch.

March 3, 2023, 10:59 PM

I know. I thought the “Minion Land” was supposed to be more or less just Illumination as it’s basically two intersecting “streets”- Minion Way and Pets Place. And Springfield, on the other hand is more immersive.

Must be an issue with Disney there regarding the Simpsons. I want to believe the Mummy will be re-themed and tied into the Jurassic World theme to make it more of an actual “land.” although it would be super cool if we got a version of the Jurassic World Ride in Beijing replacing it. But I think the park still needs an indoor coaster besides the Fast and Furious rumored to replace Animal Actors and the Special Effects Stage.

March 3, 2023, 11:03 PM

What’s also really strange is that they mention Citywalk as a “land,” when it’s not actually part of the park. And yet not Springfield?

March 3, 2023, 11:46 PM

I’m not a fan of the name Minion Land(It was referred to Illumination Place for the longest time), and given Jurassic World and Transformers their own lands around their attractions(The entire lower lot before Super Nintendo World was referred as the Blockbusters area).

March 4, 2023, 12:39 AM

MaxicKingdom, I'm unfortunately doubtful the footprint of Jurassic is likely to expand at USH. The declining box office with each Jurassic World film, especially when Dominion made less than the original Jurassic Park unadjusted for inflation, has somewhat wrecked the potential of expanding that IP. My guess right now is that Mummy will be retired after the Fast and Furious coaster opens next year to make way for California's version of Donkey Kong. If not that, I think it's more likely the coaster would be retired for a new attraction rather than rethemed unless an IP was chosen that worked particularly well for an indoor coaster.

As for Springfield, I doubt there'd be a Disney issue there as there seems to be no issue with calling the land by that name in Florida. If anything, it might indicate that much of the area will be lost as part of the Fast and Furious project, which could also mean Simpsons Ride will be out the door sooner than expected.

Edited: March 5, 2023, 5:30 PM

AJ, that is true about the Jurassic World franchise. However, it would only make more sense to have more Jurassic World theming across from the Jurassic World ride than Donkey Kong. It would be odd to have Donkey Kong across the Lower Lot from Super Nintendo World. But Super Nintendo World has clearly done so well at the park thus far, that maybe Universal would be willing to invest in knocking down more backstage buildings behind the current Super Nintendo in favor of a Donkey Kong expansion. As per their site, they're definitely keeping Transformers for the time being, so that's not going away soon.

I think you're right- the Animal Actors/ Special Effects stages is not much room for the loading area of the coaster alone, so it would make sense that parts of the neighboring Springfield will get knocked down or rethemed for Fast and Furious. My biggest criticism about the Fast and Furious rumor, while it would be better to have that over Supercharged, is that according to the concept art that was leaked, the entrance would be right across from the Harry Potter entrance, which would look more jarring than it already does.

Honestly, if it were up to me, I would've had a How to Train Your Dragon coaster like the racing coaster they're rumored to be building at Epic Universe as thematically, that would transition with both Harry Potter and Dreamworks Theater across from it a lot better. And they could still keep the Castle Theater facade that housed the Special Effects Stage.

March 5, 2023, 9:13 PM

Interesting given how long since Orlando did it with their parks but overdue. Not too much to argue on what's named, just fun to see.

Edited: March 5, 2023, 11:05 PM

MaxicKingdom, I actually don't think it would be that awkward to not have Donkey Kong physically attached to Mario. While both are owned by Nintendo, they are different IPs and will be completely isolated themed areas, so from an experience perspective it shouldn't matter that much whether they are adjacent or not, and from a crowd flow perspective it would probably be a whole lot better to not funnel everyone through the tiny Mario area. Of course, there are benefits to putting it behind SNW as well, but unlike the other parks I don't think there's as strong of a case for that arrangement at USH (especially if long term plans call for additional Nintendo development in the lower lot).

I don't they really need the space of Springfield for Fast & Furious, as they could probably build the station, queue, and loading area of the coaster on the space occupied by just the Special Effects show. However, with a push toward themed areas, I could see redoing that whole street as a much more detailed version of something like SFMM's underground, with the storefronts of the restaurants and shops on both sides redone as a gritty LA back alley rather than the colorful, cartoony Springfield it is now. The ride itself, as well as Kwik-E-Mart, will probably stay as is until it's time for a replacement, but the rest of the land I could see disappearing sooner rather than later. Strictly speaking, Animal Actors probably doesn't have to go for Fast & Furious, but I imagine having a roller coaster flying by right outside isn't the most desirable and if the rumors are true about a west coast Bourne Stuntacular, that's probably the most likely place for USH to put it.

March 6, 2023, 1:45 PM

BTW, I asked around on Springfield. Be patient....

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive