Questions about the new SeaWorld and Yas Island?

May 13, 2023, 5:13 PM

I wanted to let you know that I will be heading back to Abu Dhabi to cover the opening of SeaWorld Abu Dhabi next week.

For some background, even though this park has the SeaWorld name, it has been developed, built and will be run by Miral - the company that runs all of the Yas Island Resort, including sister parks Warner Bros World and Ferrari World - and not SeaWorld Parks. But SeaWorld's Deep Blue Creative shop was involved in the design of this indoor park.

I will have the opportunity to interview executives with Miral and SeaWorld Abu Dhabi, so if you have questions for them, please respond with those. Also, if you have questions about the park that you would like me to answer in my reporting, please respond with those as well.

If you are looking for an overview of what will be in the park, I have published a guide at https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202304/9491/

Also, while I am there, I am planning to spend a day back at Warner Bros. World Abu Dhabi, so if there's anything you would like me to add about there, let me know.

Lots of stuff happening all around the world this month, and we will have people on-site covering several openings and events, so please... stay tuned! Thanks, as always, for reading and supporting Theme Park Insider.

Replies (3)

May 14, 2023, 7:55 PM

The big question I'd have is what kind of precautions are being taken to ensure the animal welfare is top of mind? Obviously, SeaWorld has not had a very great relationship with PETA (despite always taking well care of the animals on site) and I'd be curious to know what kind of steps have been taken to address that at an overseas location.

Edited: May 15, 2023, 8:36 AM

American Sea World parks have deemphasized animal exhibits in favor of more thrill rides, but this new park seems to buck that trend. Was this decision made because of the theme parks nearby, or will we start seeing more balance between animal encounters and thrill rides in the American parks? Does this new park have the capacity to follow its American siblings and expand its emphasis on thrill rides, or is it destined to be nothing more than a supercharged aquarium with a few medium-sized coasters?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive