What are 2015's 'must see' new attractions?

October 7, 2014, 10:25 AM

Looking at the current list of what's under construction around the world, I'm wondering what everyone's "must see" attractions for next year might be.

Obviously, we don't know the specific opening dates for some biggies (Kong, I'm looking at you), and there's no Potter-level debut coming next year, either. But we should have some nice new stuff opening next summer. What are the new attractions you're most looking forward to riding/seeing next year?

Replies (8)

October 7, 2014, 10:49 AM

Tough to pick out an individual ride. I would have to say King Kong in that case. But overall Shangai Disneyland catches my interest.

October 7, 2014, 12:27 PM

The Six Flags Justice League dark rides could be up there along with their RMC projects at SFNE and SFMM. Fury 325 is probably the biggest coaster for 2015, followed by Thuderbird, which is tempered by the fact that the 3 other installations of the coaster type are within 6 hours of Holiday World.

2015 could end up being the calm before the storm with many parks making small additions or no improvements with huge splashes likely for 2016 and 2017.

Edited: October 7, 2014, 12:40 PM

I think that many of us remain scarred by our experience in awaiting the Dark Knight Ride that... well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm holding back my enthusiasm for Justice League. Yes, Six Flags is working with a great team of contractors for this attraction, but until I see the company deliver something on the same thematic level of SeaWorld/Busch Gardens (forget about Disney and Universal for the moment), I'm not going to invest the same level of excitement for it that I would for those other companies' dark rides.

October 7, 2014, 4:46 PM

Next year is a year of regional parks, as none of the destination parks are adding any must-see attractions. Walt Disney World has several projects under construction for the last part of the decade but nothing for 2015, USH's Harry Potter land opens in 2016 (with only an additional tram tour stop and Springfield for next year), and if Florida's King Kong is similar to the USH version I'll pass (plus it may not open until 2016). However, all the Six Flags parks, some of the Cedar Fair parks, and a handful of other parks are getting notable attractions next year.

For 2015, my most anticipated project is Twisted Colossus, both because it looks like a really good coaster and because it is the only one I know I'll get to ride next year. In the coaster front, Fury 325, Thunderbird, and Wicked Cyclone look like the other top tier coasters for 2015. For non-coasters, I am cautiously optimistic about Justice League: Battle for Metropolis because although Six Flags doesn't have the greatest track record I've got a feeling the ride will be good (if not great). I'm also excited about Knott's Berry Farm's mystery project for 2015 (likely a dark ride replacing Kingdom of the Dinosaurs), though I really hope it is a more traditional dark ride and not a Wonder Mountain's Guardian style coaster/dark ride hybrid.

Edited: October 7, 2014, 5:05 PM

I'm guessing it'll be a win year for Six Flags with one of the 2 hybrid coasters or even Justice League. Universal could score with Kong if it's original and not a clone of the Hollywood version.

I would be skeptical of Six Flags however since this is the company that is bringing us 3-4 carnival rate giant loops next season too.

October 8, 2014, 7:39 AM

For me, Wicked Cyclone as it will be my first looping "wooden" coaster (finally) and it is a realistic travel location for me.

Edited: October 9, 2014, 12:58 PM

Silver Dollar City is my adopted home park, but their additions for 2015 are more kid friendly than family or thrill oriented. Still I look forward to seeing how the revamped "Geyser Gulch" area turns out.

Holiday World's new coaster might be an option, but I don't have any definite plans. Same for the Justice League dark ride at Six Flags Saint Louis.

I am considering a trip back to Central Florida in May... but if I go I am most looking forward to some of my old favorites: Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Mission Space, Tower of Terror, Spider-Man, Revenge of the Mummy, Kraken. None of the newer stuff really sets me off, though I am, of course, excited to visit the new mine train ride and the Potter stuff too, though they are not new for 2015.

On the surface, the King Kong addition at IOA does nothing for me, other than the fact that it is something new and I am sure Universal will exceed my low expectations. However, I am doubting the attraction will be complete by May.

2015 looks like a bit of a down year at parks I normally frequent. Maybe I need to make plans to visit Carowinds?

October 9, 2014, 1:18 PM

Most rides on the list won't open until 2016 or 2017. I guess 2015 will be boring year for rides.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive