Will the Fear of Ebola change your vacation plans?

October 8, 2014, 10:27 AM

A few years ago, when we were planning for an Orlando vacation, the H1N1 virus was running rapid. I remember we were concerned about this virus. Just think about how many folks touch the same safety bars and hand rails you will be holding onto. So we had to account for this virus in our planning.

I remember we bought some hand sanitizers and cleansed our hands often after each attraction. All worked out for us and none of us caught the swine flu virus. But this Ebola outbreak is different. It is very deadly if contracted. It is spreading and there is no clear cut cure.

So many folks from around the world go to Orlando. So with this in mind – will you alter vacation plans or not take a travelling vacation over concerns of infections? I am not trying to sound the alarm or fear monger, but these things should be considered…

Replies (21)

October 8, 2014, 10:38 AM

I'm convinced that the Ebola hype simply is the latest scheme that news organizations have come up with to keep us watching and reading... while not paying attention to the much more important economic and sociological issues that the news organizations have not the time, inclination, nor expertise to cover. (And I say this as a former long-time newspaper reporter and editor.)

That said, cleaning up throughout the day is an excellent way to avoid the colds and flu that you almost certainly will encounter in a large gathering of people from around the world. You're not going to get Ebola in Orlando. But you can pick up a nasty cold that will ruin your vacation. And no one wants that.

So go on vacation! Wipe down the tray table on your airline seat, the remote in your hotel room, and wash your hands before and after eating and using the bathroom all during the day. Then just enjoy your trip!

October 8, 2014, 10:55 AM

Sure Robert, currently Ebola is not activity running thru Orlando or Anaheim, but we are still in the begging of the epidemic. In 6 to 7 months when Orlando gets hopping for April\Spring break, it could be there and everywhere else…

Will this virus get under control or will it affect Airlines and vacation spots?

October 8, 2014, 2:02 PM

I agree with Robert. This a completely media-invented/blown out of proportion story to generate ratings and instill fear. There is as much of a chance of some other epidemic that gets out of CDC control (we probably have no idea how many deadly viruses and bacteria they have in their labs) than there is of Ebola proliferating in the US. People cannot live in a bubble or in fear that touching or interacting with another person is going to result in death. That may be a fact of life in Africa, but in the developed world, even if cases were more widespread than they are now (1 infected, now dead person, along with the few dozen people he came in contact with that are under rigorous surveillance), I am confident that our medical professionals would take the necessary steps to contain an outbreak.

October 8, 2014, 2:38 PM

Ebola zombie apocalypse just in time for Halloween?

No?

Enjoy your Disney trip.

Edited: October 8, 2014, 2:46 PM

How many people died from H1N1? Correction. Many but
"The main risk groups for this flu are children, pregnant women, people with chronic diseases and the elderly over 65 years of age."

http://stomachflu-symptoms.blogspot.com/2014/01/flu-symptoms-2014-flu-epidemic-2014.html

You should certainly fear Ebola. I was never concerned about H1N1, but I am certainly afraid of Ebola.

Of course my vacation plans would change if I was going to fly to Africa. I wouldn't travel to Dallas for sure. I still don't trust TSA, least of all to screen for Ebola. Ebola is a crisis that is almost a full-blown crisis. Be careful.

October 8, 2014, 9:10 PM

Am I concerned, no.

First all, Ebola is not an airborne illness. You need to be in direct fluid contact with an individual to get Ebola. That simply will not happen here. Nothing "magical" has happened with Ebola that all of a sudden it has become a problem.

Do we need to be careful? Sure, but you are more likely to be injured in the car on the way to the theme park than catch Ebola.

An interesting question would be how many people are going to Disney World from the effected areas? I am guessing close to zero.

October 9, 2014, 6:54 AM

Thanks Mr. Annon Mouse…. I do Fear Ebola… This is the One that I really fear… Believe it or not, it spreads fast and easily…. All an infected person has to do is cough or sneeze into their hand, touch something like a door handle or a toilet handle, you touch that same handle and Blam, and you now have the Virus…
It spreads kinda easy.

Now a Sherriff that was in the room of the gentleman that just died in Texas is looking like he has the virus… Do you think he was using caution when he entered the apartment? Yet he still got the Ebola somehow?

Yes the media is covering this story and outbreak, but we need info to try and contain this virus. How many folks did the sheriff come into contact with..?
I was in the Navy on a ship for 3 years, I can Just imagine how fast this will spread if it gets onto a US Navy any other kind of ship loaded with people…

This is a serious virus....
The question is how many folks have the virus that don’t know about it and are at Disney or Orlando or Vegas......

October 9, 2014, 7:41 AM

"You need to be in direct fluid contact with an individual to get Ebola."

Wrong. Anything you touch that was in contact with the person that has Ebola is potential for transfering of the disease. This means clothing, blankets, food, vomit. You have to bleach everything and burn the rest while wearing protective clothing and masks.

As for whether airborne is an issue, I wouldn't take the chance. All patients are to be in isolation, which suggests they can spread the disease in any way possible. When I had the chicken pox, I was asked at the doctor's office to avoid children. I couldn't even be in the same room with them. I imagine the possible spread of Ebola is much more easily transferred.

The Dallas patient is dead. Everyone in contact with him is contacted, which includes ALL passengers in the airplane from Africa.

October 9, 2014, 7:59 AM

Your scared of Ebola that's been around since 1976? The so called outbreak is from 3rd world nations and people that have been in direct contact with the infected African people. Your fine to travel just don't go to west Africa. This scare tactic is not going to stop me from my trip in Orlando next month. It's been around longer than many of us have been alive and it hasn't stopped any of us from traveling before. Just use some wet wipes and hand sanitizer and you'll be fine.

October 9, 2014, 11:19 AM

Thanks apple butter…. All input is welcomed…

This outbreak is the worst in Ebola history, so there is a huge difference than in 1976 or any other outbreak…

If you feel comfortable by all means, travel and enjoy. I was just asking if this will come into play or your thoughts while vacation planning…

We go to Orlando every year usually in April or May, so as I am starting to plan our vacation and my mind started to think about the virus…

AS I said all input in welcomed..

October 9, 2014, 7:52 PM

It is very difficult for a person to get the virus just from casually touching something, especially from a sneeze. The reason why it is so bad in Africa is because there is not as much access to clean running water (for washing). Most people who have caught the disease have regular direct contact (caregiver's disease). His family would be the most in danger, not the airplane.

Ebola is important, but you should be more worried about catching the Flu at Disney than any deadly disease.

October 11, 2014, 7:00 AM

I would be more worried about the one that is causing all the problems with kids and breathing than Ebola. I have a trip planned but for summer

October 11, 2014, 7:50 AM

Just the disaster of the week the media need to keep people watching their otherwise empty 24 hours news channels.

October 12, 2014, 7:55 AM

"Dallas health worker who tested positive for Ebola wore ‘full’ protective gear"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/10/12/dallas-health-care-worker-who-treated-thomas-eric-duncan-has-tested-positive-for-ebola/

Okay, remain calm. Just a minor detail.

October 12, 2014, 11:57 AM

I'm going this weekend to Orlando and I'm really nervous about the children virus going around. I have a 3 year old and I know she can catch something at daycare as well. I don't know if I should go or not now.....

October 12, 2014, 4:16 PM

Really?

October 13, 2014, 6:49 PM

In reply to the Dallas healthcare worker, having had to wear isolation gear, it is the way you remove the gear that counts. If you do not follow proper de-gowning protocol you run the risk of touching bodily fluids. I am not traveling anywhere, but I would not be worried.

October 16, 2014, 2:44 PM

I didn't make it onto a coaster last year. So far, this year, same thing. I had been hoping for the past couple of months to head to the Dallas area for Six Flags and Halloween. Do I think I'll run into some undocumented Ebola patient? No.

However, with the way my luck has been on trips (in 2012, I got hit with Tropical Storm Debby while in Florida and "Superstorm Sandy" while in Virginia, plus I slept in O'Hare on my way home last year), and in general, maybe I'd better not take any chances.

Edited: October 16, 2014, 7:55 PM

We now will start a Kickstarter to send Anthony O'Neal on vacation half a world away from any park the rest of us are planning to visit this year. (Thanks for taking one for the team, Anthony!) Who's in? ;^)

October 21, 2014, 8:28 PM

And nobody else has been reported for Ebola after the healthcare worker.

Lets put the threats in perspective.

Edited: October 22, 2014, 7:02 AM

So Anthony - There is no more Spread of this Virus? Ever look at the World News...

I guess the threat is over and we have no worries...

See you on my West African vacation.....

We still need to be vigilant and informed.
-----------------------------------------------------

This was just reporter..

A Liberian passenger who flew into New Jersey on Tuesday was taken to hospital over fears he had been exposed to Ebola, media reported.

The man, who had flown from Liberia to Brussels and then caught a connecting flight to Newark, had a fever, NBC New York reported, citing unnamed officials.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive