My Wife is a Beast, Taking on Disney in her Third Trimester!

December 15, 2014, 7:49 AM

She visited the WDW resort and parks once for each trimester! We just returned from our last trip before our son will be born in February (B.B.).

The first two trimesters didn't seem to bother her other than the limitations on what she could ride, but let me tell you this last trip was at a much slower pace, we would walk for maybe an hour or so and then rest for a few minutes.

We had never been to the filming of the Christmas Day Parade and so this year I surprised her and took her down for it, we had a blast. Lots of standing and waiting between takes but totally worth it... Well at least once.

Anyone have some insight on what we should expect when we take our son for the first time in September next year? I've been to Walt Disney World 30+ times but something tells me it will be a whole new experience this time next year.

Replies (4)

December 16, 2014, 10:50 PM

I would say take it slow, but have fun!

December 17, 2014, 3:55 AM

Congrats on the baby!

I've always wanted to go to a taping of the Christmas special. I didn't realize it wasn't seamless like they make it appear on TV, but I guess I should have known better. I mean, it IS filmed weeks before Christmas Day, afterall. Did they give you any special instructions? From what you could tell, were the hosts interacting with their Disneyland counterparts? Did the musical acts lip sync? Were other parts of the park open and accessible?

I know my grandma took me to WDW when I was 5, as she took all the grand children when they turned 5, but I honestly don't recall a single second of the trip, except my ears killed me on the airplane. Seriously, the only thing I recall was the pain I felt on the airplane, having never flown before.

If I had kids, I wouldn't take them to WDW (or DLR or UO, etc) until they were at least seven. But that's just my experience, as I feel whatever money it cost to take me as a five year old was wasted, since I don't remember any of it.

Edited: December 17, 2014, 1:30 PM

Taking babies and young kids are very short trips. You're talking 3 to 4 hours. You can certainly do it, but it isn't exactly a pleasant trip. Babies cry. Many won't be allowed on rides especially if you need to use a restraint system. Thus, as long as you can keep your baby quiet, the indoor show attractions without a motion base is probably your only choices.

This might be useless advice if you're intent on going, but wait until your kid is at least 2 years old, which is still below the 3 years age limit that requires a paid ticket. 2 year old kids can get more out of a trip.

My kid at 5 years old has finally outgrown the stroller. This was the pleasant surprise. A sturdy stroller can support up to 50 lbs and most kids will continue to use the stroller up to 5 years old. The debate over whether or not to use a stroller doesn't make sense to me. Young kids just have more needs and you need to store all that stuff (food, drink, clothing, diapers) in a stroller. You can't both carry that stuff in a backpack and carry them at the same time unless you're a muscled body builder.

Good luck.

December 19, 2014, 4:01 AM

Our older son was 1 on his first trip and our younger son was 6 months on his. We still did full days in the parks, letting the boys nap in the stroller as needed. We put what we needed in a diaper bag-like back pack, and only did 2 parks each trip, with a day off in between. Our boys loved their trips, as did we! We did every attraction we could. We've been going to WDW almost every year since 1998, and didn't have kids until 2003. Our memories are priceless!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive