Disneyland Doesn't Spread the Measles, but Here's What Does

January 7, 2015, 10:08 PM

Today's media freakout around Southern California is over nine cases of the measles being link to visits to the Disneyland Resort late last month.

The nine cases, including two children from Utah plus kids from Alameda, Orange, Riverside and San Diego counties in California, as well as from Theme Park Insider's hometown of Pasadena in Los Angeles county, all visited the resort between Dec. 15 - 20. Authorities are urging people who visited during that time and who may have had symptoms, including fever and rash, to contact their doctor.

There's an easy way to drastically reduce your, or your child's, chances of getting the measles -- and it is not to avoid a visit to Disneyland. If you want to avoid the measles get vaccinated!

Measles used to be almost unheard of in the United States, until a now-disgraced doctor made up a crazy and now completely debunked story about vaccines causing autism, a ex-Playboy model started going on talk shows to spread that story, and millions of parents decided that celebrities and talk show hosts knew more about medicine than doctors did.

Disneyland doesn't spread the measles. Not getting vaccinated does. Two of the victims in this case were kids under the age at which the measles vaccine is administered. In previous years "herd immunity" due to widespread vaccination of older kids would have protected them. But with so many people falling prey to anti-vaccine rumors, that herd immunity is gone.

Celebreties are great for entertainment. But when it comes to medicine, animal care, personal finances, or just about any other topic outside of entertainment itself, they're a lousy source of information. Don't trust a celebrity. Talk to your doctor instead. You don't have to stay away from your favorite theme parks to stay healthy. You just need to listen to medical professionals who actually know what they're talking about.

Replies (6)

January 7, 2015, 10:15 PM

Hey! That model you are talking about is a proud Chicagoan ;)

Ok, so she has her facts a little (a lot) wrong.

Honestly, I am a little surprised that people getting sick in a theme park is big news! I would think it would be just as potent as your child's classroom.

January 8, 2015, 6:57 AM

I get all of my vaccine info from Jenny McCarthy...
Don't You.....

Another way WDW is better than Disneyland.... No Measles hahahahaha

January 8, 2015, 9:09 AM

Not for nothing, you can take celeb advice regarding cooking appliances to the bank, my man. I've got a fully functional, decade old George Foreman grill in a box labelled 'DORM' and that baby still knocks out the fat. Works great on both settings (unlabeled, but presumably hot and, like, hotter?).
Beyond sound, infomercial level endorsements, I have no idea why anyone would trust a non-professional for advice (way) outside their field. Any chance this 'outbreak' might slake demand for meet 'n greets with the Frozen princesses? TOTALLY asking for a friend.

Edited: January 8, 2015, 9:54 AM

Nine people getting measles is a lot. It suggests many aren't vaccinated. I don't necessarily think mere celebrities can cause people to not get vaccinated. There has to be more reasons for people to not get vaccinated especially since there hasn't been a major outbreak. I heard recent migrations especially of the illegal kind contributed to the problem. Plus, there is complacency.

January 8, 2015, 7:54 PM

Brian, you made me laugh harder than I have all day. Congratulations! I hadn't thought that we could make this an east coast/west coast thing, but we ALWAYS can do that, can't we?

Anon, eight of the nine were not vaccinated, along with two more cases confirmed in Orange County today.

January 10, 2015, 1:27 PM

Here, here Robert. Get your shots!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive