Getting in/out of Magic Kingdom

January 23, 2015, 12:55 PM

When we go to WDW we usually stay on-site and rent a car.

Getting in and out of DHS, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom is generally quick and easy.

However getting in/out of Magic Kingdom is typically slow and painful. Worst is when the park lets out, you're absolutely exhausted, and you have to wait in the huge/slow Monorail (or Ferry) line, then get the Monorail just to wait in another line for a Tram before you finally get shuttled back to the parking lot to try to find your car.

We noticed that the resort buses drop off and pick up right at the front gate of the Magic Kingdom, eliminating a lot of problems. However the time we tried the buses you still have crowds of people waiting for your bus and then long waits for the bus to return.

We tried one night coming from Fort Wilderness via a boat, but that return required a wait for the boat, then the slow boat ride, followed by waiting for a bus and a ride before we finally got to that parking lot to get our car.

Have any of you found ways to quickly get in/out of the Magic Kingdom ? What works best ?

Replies (8)

Edited: January 24, 2015, 9:15 AM

My favorite thing to do was book a breakfast reservation at the Kona Cafe at Polynesian. The Samoan is my favorite breakfast dish in all of WDW, though they're most famous for their Tonga Toast (meh). Book the reservation online because the guard may want to confirm it, which if you have a Magic Band, is super easy. But you can print the confirmation or keep it on your phone, as well.

Breakfast is great- afterall, you "should" eat breakfast before a big day at MK anyway - it's cheaper than staying a night at one of these deluxe resorts, and it gets your car into a parking lot much closer to MK than parking in the traditional Hero and Villain lots.

Though my favorite is Kona Cafe, you could do something like the Grand Floridian Cafe or The Wave at Grand Floridian and Contemporary, respectively. And it's a super easy walk from Contemporary to MK.

January 24, 2015, 11:02 AM

Great advice Gabriel. You can park your car there all day after eating breakfast?

January 26, 2015, 8:37 PM

You are not supposed to park your car there all day. They usually give you a temp parking pass. I wouldn't test them...

To answer your question, sadly no.

How dare you speak ill of the all holy TONGA TOAST :)

When you mess with Polynesia, the Gods will sleeze ya! :)

Edited: January 27, 2015, 3:53 AM

I'm with you Anthony! Tonga Toast is AMAZING!!! But, seriously, on suggestion I have is to park at the hotel, and then take the monorail. Or, park at the TTC and take the resort monorail around. It tends to have a shorter line. OR (this one's my favorite) buy a sundae on main street before you leave. The shops will stay open for another hour or so, so you can eat ice cream while you wait for the lines to die down, which happens surprisingly quickly.

January 27, 2015, 1:30 PM

When I find myself there at closing time, I take my sweet time about leaving just because the crowds are so ridiculous getting on the transportation. A coffee or a snack, sitting on a bench, watching the colored lights Kiss Good-night on the castle, wonderful way to end the day.

January 27, 2015, 5:37 PM

DPCC I think has the best tip. Take the resort monorail.

Edited: January 28, 2015, 9:52 AM

Yup - Resort Monorail can often be the fastest. If the line for the TTC monorail is down to the bottom of the ramp, the resort monorail will usually get you to TTC faster if there is no line for the resort monorail. However, what happens frequently is a group of people go to the resort monorail and the lemmings follow, creating a longer line for the resort monorail than the express. Typically there are 2-3 express monorails for every resort monorail, so if the line is just to the bottom of the ramp and the resort monorail platform is already full, it's probably 6 to 1 half dozen the other.

If you are staying onsite (other than the monorail resorts), the MK bus stops are the fastest and easiest way. In fact, even if you have a car with you, I highly recommend taking the bus to MK. It's just not worth parking at TTC and then having to take the monorail or boat. Even if the buses have lines, it's a direct connection, instead of 3 different modes of transportation with 2 transfers (car to tram/walk to monorail/boat). The only iffy is Wilderness Lodge where they have a direct boat connection to MK. However, I've heard various levels of satisfaction with that service.

January 28, 2015, 8:37 PM

FYI - I've parked at the Polynesian dozens of times for breakfast + MK (or just for breakfast because they're the only place I know that serves 100% Kona coffee) and have never ever been given a temporary parking pass, nor had any other issues whatsoever.

I'd recommend trying it out once. But I've never had a problem as long as the reservation is legit.

I almost wrote about the Resort Monorail as well. Definitely something a lot of visitors don't know, and I highly recommend.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive