Another 'Tomorrowland - A World Beyond' Trailer Drops!

March 9, 2015, 12:34 PM

Replies (14)

Edited: March 9, 2015, 12:57 PM

I'd still be cautiously optimistic about this movie if I were Disney. This looks like another big budget risk just like John Carter or alone Ranger. It doesn't help that it's gonna compete with the monstrous Avengers along with Mad Max and Pitch Perfect sequels opening a week before. Not to mention that with Insidious, Inside Out, and Jurassic World are opening not too long after, this could easily get lost in the crowd.

March 9, 2015, 1:28 PM

George Clooney and Brad Bird! Sure to be a hit. And did I say Brad Bird? Now if he would do Star Wars Episode IX the world would be almost perfect!

March 9, 2015, 1:30 PM

Eh... Another "you are the chosen one" movie... No thanks. The visuals I guess look neat?

More interested in what Pixar and Marvel will push out from Disney.

March 9, 2015, 1:40 PM

Clooney and Bird makes this one seem like a sure thing! Especially in IMAX 3D!

FANTASTIC!

March 9, 2015, 2:56 PM

It's getting some buzz already. AICN touts it by posting that it looks "hugely promising and exciting ..."

March 9, 2015, 3:26 PM

The timing may be horrible, but the film looks brilliant.

March 9, 2015, 5:05 PM

Space Mountain cameo at 1:11.

March 9, 2015, 5:26 PM

Please, please, please don't suck. Please, please, please don't suck. Please, please, please don't suck.

March 10, 2015, 2:16 AM

(Chuckle)

March 10, 2015, 12:11 PM

I love Brad Bird, and hope for good things from him, but this movie got such a terrible release date, and is liable to get buried under Disney's own pile of awesomeness. Clooney is not a summer box office draw, and Avengers: Age of Ultron will zap the entire month of May. I hope for the best, but I think Disney is potentially killing this project with it's poorly positioned release date. It does look like the other studios are ceding the entire month of May to Avengers, so perhaps they can grab the Memorial Day weekend with Poltergeist the only other major release that week. Also, if it's good, it may be able to hold until Jurassic World releases 3 weeks later as Avengers slowly trails off.

March 10, 2015, 1:25 PM

Knowing how they handled Country Bear Jamboree, they might close Tomorrowland before the movie opens. This might be a good thing. They converted CBJ into the Pooh ride. What if they closed Tomorrowland and opened Star Wars Land, but they'll have to close it again when that movie opens.

Edited: March 10, 2015, 2:23 PM

Anon, I can't tell if you're being serious or not. If you are, there's absolutely no way Disneyland would close their second largest land right at the start of the 60th anniversary kickoff. If you're joking, it wasn't very funny.

As for the movie, I'm cautiously optimistic about it. Nothing I've seem has made me want to rush out to a theater to see it, but it does look interesting and is a nice break from the endless sequels that will be coming this summer. If it gets good reviews, I'll probably go see it, but if they're mixed I may wait for the home release based on what's been shown so far. I am a little worried that Avengers could hurt Tomorrowland's performance (and possibly Mad Max), but at the same time I'd expect most people who are strongly interested in Avengers will see it during the first two weeks and I'm not sure how big Mad Max will actually end up being.

March 10, 2015, 4:48 PM

Country Bear Jamboree at Disneyland closing before the movie opened is no joke. The movie certainly was a joke.

March 11, 2015, 6:41 AM

As much as I love Mad Max and the return of the iconic character and Goerge Miller's post-apocalyptic stories to the screen, I don't get "summer blockbuster" from it, particularly that it will be releasing just 2 weeks after Avengers. Pitch Perfect 2 and it's counter-programing strategy will probably provide the biggest challenge to Avengers in its third weekend. I really like the casting of Hardy (bringing Gibson back would still have been amazing though), but it looks very much of what we've already seen from the series, and may not gain traction against a stacked deck.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive