Project 727

May 21, 2015, 12:40 PM

OU & Parkscope are reporting that Universal has filed permits for Project 727. Top OU Insiders are saying that this is a Twister replacement that will be a Soarinesque type Jimmy Fallon/NBC Studios/New York themed attraction. It's supposed to debut in 2017 around the same time as the new water park, but not an E ticket level attraction. This doesn't sound like it's on the same exciting creative level that we've been seeing from Universal. But Twister has been on it's last legs. Would you miss Twister? Any thoughts on this rumored concept?

Replies (13)

May 21, 2015, 1:26 PM

Jimmy Fallon Soarin? I'll have to withhold judgement until I see the plan for that one!

May 21, 2015, 5:38 PM

I'm all for replacing Twister (I only rode it once and now the only highlight of that attraction for me is patting the head of the cow in the queue on the way to an HHN house ....).... But please, please, please don't let this rumor be right. I don't like Soarin' and who the heck is Jimmy Fallon??? (JK...sort of, but I have ZERO interest in anything connected to a late night TV host....)

May 21, 2015, 5:56 PM

A Jimmy Fallon Soarin?

I'd take Twister over that any day.

May 21, 2015, 8:09 PM

I'm not very interested in the concept either. I would guess Universal is trying to capitalize on cross promotions with NBC for show & merchandise sales. I would bet, if this comes to fruition, that there will be a NBC store at the exit of the attraction. I haven't seen many posters, even on OU, that like the ride idea. But it would fit naturally in the NY section of the park. And it's facade would probably be an improvement on the Twister facade, which doesn't really fit the area (Twister replaced a more NY appropriate Ghostbusters show). Now, if they added the Music City Rockettes to the attraction, I could probably be convinced to like it. LOL

May 22, 2015, 10:39 AM

Jimmy Fallon is not funny. 727 sounds like discontinued Boeing jet. Doesn't give good vibes.

May 22, 2015, 10:42 AM

It makes sense since Jimmy Fallon was riding the Hollywood RIP Rocket Rollercoaster with Kevin Hart and that ride I'd right next to twister.... so it makes sense. Doesn't mean that I like the idea just another waste of good space.

May 22, 2015, 8:19 PM

Well considering 727 is a type of plane, it probably will be related to flying

May 23, 2015, 5:23 AM

Working on the 727 theory, perhaps the best known feature of that aircraft was the rear cargo ramp used by skyway man DB Cooper to jump out of said airliner mid flight.

May 24, 2015, 9:17 PM

I don't mind seeing Twister replaced, but I'll wait for more information on this Jimmy Fallon + Soarin' hybrid...thing. I can't wrap my mind around how those two things possibly can go together, so maybe the rumor turns out to be misplaced. Or maybe it'll be done in a way that ends up being a unique experience that people enjoy as much or more than Twister.

May 28, 2015, 7:19 AM

This sounds like a DUD in the making. Twister may have outlived its time, but I would rather have that than Soarin over NYC. If they were to do something like the old Superstar Television at MGM that would be cool. people interviewed by Jimmy. But that would have a short shelf life as well with very little need to redo it after one or two goes.

May 29, 2015, 1:14 AM

Huh, tbh ive always thought if twister got replace, The Walking Dead would be the one to replace it , its a big franchise that keeps growing and AMC and Universal have a pretty good relationship, i know HHN fans are sick of TWD but honestly id prefer this over Jimmy Fallon and Twister anyday

Edited: June 1, 2015, 10:13 PM

@Anon Mouse The 727 is a boeing jet from the 60s that UPS buys at (cheap) discounted prices.

Anyway, as you can see in this photo, the Rip Ride Rockit goes right over the Twister show building. Universal can't do anything without shutting down the coaster.

Rip Ride Rocket Code #901

June 1, 2015, 6:10 PM

Teebin, an OU Insider, is reporting today that the facade of the new attraction will be the NYC NBC entrance, and the ride queue will be a copy of that building's interior ornate staircase. At least the attraction will look like it belongs in the NYC area of Universal, unlike the Twister building that was really out of place.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive