CM Facebook Chatter: WDW parks to ban selfie sticks

June 23, 2015, 6:26 AM

One of my CM FB pals claims the ban will go in effect on June 26th

Replies (6)

June 23, 2015, 6:55 AM

The question is are they banning them on just attractions, or does it "extend" to guests simply walking around the park. I think in both instances they're a menace, but I have a hard time believing Disney can enforce a ban where safety can not be cited as a reason for the prohibition.

June 23, 2015, 7:15 AM

Mr. Meyer: "...I have a hard time believing Disney can enforce a ban where safety can not be cited as a reason for the prohibition."

I Respond: Hey, it's their sandbox, they can pretty much adopt whatever policy they want.

Related: Disney already prevents people from using tripods in most places on property. My son was using a tripod at Downtown Disney and security told him he needed to put it away.

June 23, 2015, 7:23 AM

They need to stop the vendors at Downtown Disney from selling them. That's the first step.

June 23, 2015, 7:51 AM

"Hey, it's their sandbox, they can pretty much adopt whatever policy they want."

I don't doubt that, but it's a tricky line that Disney will have to determine whether it's worth crossing. It's easy to ban them on rides, where they can pretty much make any rule they want under the guise of safety. However, to do so in "public" areas is a bit more difficult. Also, how do you notify people. Do you make a blanket announcement along with signage at the gate or do you simply start making requests of guests on a case by case basis. Either way, Disney's going to end up with a bunch of angry guests.

I'm not aware of a tripod/monopod prohibition at WDW (or Disneyland for that matter). I've used tripods for years in the parks and have never been asked to put them away. Perhaps your son caught the ire of an overzealous security guard, because I have never seen tripods explicitly banned. Now I have seen guests with tripods set up in high traffic areas during parades and shows where CMs have requested guests move them to a better spot, but I have never seen anyone told that tripods were not allowed.

June 23, 2015, 9:23 AM

Tripods and long lenses are officially banned at the Disneyland Resort parks, in an effort to keep paparazzi out of the parks. That said, if you're not blocking traffic and just shooting pictures of your family or park landmarks -- not celebrities -- cast members tend to leave you alone, especially if you're using a skinny, amateur tripod. Big, professional video tripods will get you stopped at the bag check.

In my experience, security in Downtown Disney (on both coasts) is much more intolerant of photography than security inside the parks. I've been stopped in Anaheim's Downtown Disney for using a regular Canon DSLR.

June 23, 2015, 10:55 AM

Based on Robert's experience and my own, Disney security seems to have no problem walking up to guests and politely asking them to refrain from using a piece of equipment. This leads me to believe that Disney's not going to "end up with a bunch of angry guests."

Then again, I could be wrong.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive